How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 01-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Why is 12 three times more expensive for HD owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex s View Post
I'd like to hear how that figure was reached ?
The argument I've heard is that in the past, Pro Tools HD upgrades used to happen every 2-3 years and cost $1500. So, 599/399 per year, with a much quicker development schedule with more releases, is actually less than it used to be.

Haven't fact checked it myself but that's the logic.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM

So, announcing features last year that still haven't been implemented is the faster development schedule? This is the problem with the model - Avid may or may not deliver on development but users will have to pay either way.

I almost upgraded on New Year's Eve - and then didn't. This applies to the 4 HD systems I am responsible for. I am thankful that Avid didn't blink and extend the $599 pricing as I might have weakened.

If the HD upgrade had included permanent licenses to the pro plugins (instead of the subscription) I would have upgraded.

If the HD upgrade had not included making my iLok asset non transferrable, I might have upgraded.

If I could have upgraded by paying and then registering later, I might have upgraded.

Instead, I spent $15k on pieces that will make my studio life more productive and enjoyable. Lots of new hardware!

Will the money some spent on an HD upgrade really be worth it? The answer is a big maybe.... At the moment, 10HD has all of the features I need and 12 offers very few meaningful advantages.

Anyway, it looks like I can wait until the end of 2017 to upgrade if I must. The thing is, I am getting really used to the idea of not upgrading. That's a dangerous idea for Avid to encourage, but I'm seeing this as the silver lining to Avid's short sighted approach to its customers.

I suppose Avid could tweak their plan and make things more appealing, but I'm not counting on it until top management is replaced. Overdue, imo.

Happy New Year! Best...H
Old 01-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logichead View Post
The thing is, I am getting really used to the idea of not upgrading. That's a dangerous idea for Avid to encourage, but I'm seeing this as the silver lining to Avid's short sighted approach to its customers.
I thought the same thing and almost caved myself but now that the date has passed I'm feeling a sigh of relief.
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.