Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 PM

Default new digital piano- having midi problems

i bought a new williams digital symphony piano the other day (very nice by the way), and i was told it will work as a midi keyboard too. It has both midi out/in plugs and a USB plug. So I hooked up a MIDI cable from the "out" on the piano to the "in" on my MBOX2. Without doing anything to "officially" input the williams into protools with midi studio, pro tools recognized it as a general midi device and it was recognizing notes i played on the piano. But even though it was recognizing notes, i could not hear anything coming from my headphones (plugged into mbox2), except for the click track so atleast i know i am getting audio from the mbox. I assumed that i could play the piano and record the midi with the sounds from the piano but that does not seem like it will happen. i talked to the guy at guitar center who sold it to me and he said i will have to hook up some spdif cables from the piano to the mbox and record audio, but i would really like to record midi obviously. And even if that is not possible I still should be able to use the piano as a midi keyboard to use with reason but when i have the piano hooked up with reason on pro tools it recognizes the piano notes like i said before but again no reason audio coming from protools, just the normal piano sounds still coming out the piano speakers. i dont know what to do. thanx

pro tools 7.3.1
apple macbook pro 2 gig ram
prefs trashed already
mac osx
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Default Re: new digital piano- having midi problems

You're having a common misunderstanding. MIDI doesn't carry audio. Somebody else may hop on and post some step by step instructions but I don't have time at this point. Basically, what you need to do is setup a loop where MIDI can come from your keyboard and be recorded in Pro Tools, then back from Pro Tools to trigger sound on the keyboard. You have to treat the audio aspects the same whether it's related to MIDI or not. There are a ton of threads if you search around that have the details on it. Have a quick search and you should be in business.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 PM

yeah i guess i did have a misunderstanding about the midi audio problem. but even still, i have midi out from the piano into mbox with pro tools recognizing the notes im playing, and with reason inserted on an aux track and the midi track (which the piano is on) sending out to subtractor or the combiner im still not getting any audio. i mean ive been using reason with a different midi keyboard for years and i know i have everything set up the same as i do with this keyboard i just dont know why its not working.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM

If you draw in notes or click on the mini keyboard on the MIDI track, does it trigger any sounds then? This probably doesn't have anything to do with your keyboard. If you're getting the MIDI to the Pro Tools track, then you're good to go on the keyboard end. Have you checked the rewire elements to make sure everything is kosher between reason and the plug-in in Pro Tools?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Try using an inst track instead of separate aux and midi tracks. You may also want to add the midi piano to your midi studio setup. Do you get the impression that reason is not receiving the midi at all?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 AM

Although I'm relativly new to MIDI, allow me to explain what I did with my less-than steller keyboard.

First, I made sure that my Mac computer recognized the MIDI keyboard.
I assume you have done this, via the Utilities folder in your Mac, etc...Right?

Then, I connected the USB between keyboard and computer.

Next, opened up Pro Tools, created an "Instrument Track".

Then, added a plug-in to that track (I choose "Xpand!") and made a selection from the various synth sounds it offers.

Clicked on the "R" record button on that track and tapped on my keyboard (an M-Audio Keystation 61es, by the way) and adjusted the volume.

And there you go.

I might add that your MIDI frustration sounds very similar to mine.
Logically, one assumes that by connecting the MIDI cable between keyboard and Mbox, it would work.
But I'm not a technical person and no, it didn't work for me that way either.

The key is to make sure your computer recognizes your keyboard.
If not, you might check the website of that keyboard to see if they have a downloadable "driver" to install on your Mac.
This should be a free download.

Keep us posted.
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM

thanx for your guys input but yeah i have done all the steps you guys have said. pro tools AND reason are both recognizing the midi signals. its just that reason will not put out any sound. and the regular piano sound is still coming out of the piano. i dont know how to use the piano as a midi keyboard with reason. but i KNOW there is a way there has to be. pro tools and midi studio is recognizing the piano but only as a usb control device (if i have the usb in), but when i just have the midi cable hooked up (which is all i should need) i have to manually setup a device in midi studio but still i mean pro tools is recognizing that this is a midi controller it will just not work with reason and i dont know why.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
thanx for your guys input but yeah i have done all the steps you guys have said. pro tools AND reason are both recognizing the midi signals. its just that reason will not put out any sound. and the regular piano sound is still coming out of the piano. i dont know how to use the piano as a midi keyboard with reason. but i KNOW there is a way there has to be. pro tools and midi studio is recognizing the piano but only as a usb control device (if i have the usb in), but when i just have the midi cable hooked up (which is all i should need) i have to manually setup a device in midi studio but still i mean pro tools is recognizing that this is a midi controller it will just not work with reason and i dont know why.
Well, MIDI isn't a bi-directional protocol so the computer doesn't know or care what you have connected. USB is different as you've figured out. The key thing here is that if it is getting to the Pro Tools track and the instrument isn't making sound, then there's something wrong somewhere down the chain.

Have you tried triggering sounds by drawing MIDI notes or clicking the mini-keyboard on the MIDI track? If so, with what results?
Old 03-14-2008, 04:39 PM

Not to seem like I'm brow beating you but you say "pro tools AND reason are both recognizing the midi signals." What is your indication that this is happening?

It is easy to see MIDI activity in PT, the meters on your MIDI or Inst tracks will move..

In reason (at least my version) the only indicator that I could find was small "note on" lights. Are these lighting up?

If the "note on" lights are lighting up, then are you getting any activity on any of the meters in reason?

If the meters in reason are lighting up, then somehow your Rewire/aux track routing is messed up.

You need to take the process one section at a time to narrow down the possibilities...

You also mention that the piano continues to create audio even while it is acting a controller for ProTools... Most synth/keyboards will have a setting about "local control" or something like that. You need to turn local control off if you want the piano to act as a controller only. If you want to trigger the piano then you just make another inst track (or MIDI/AUX tracks) with the MIDI ins and outs set to your piano.. The MIDI info will then travel through ProTools back to your piano.. This way you can record the MIDI and play it back triggering the piano also.. Make sense?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 PM

yeah i will definitely try drawing midi notes tomorrow when i have it hooked up and see if i can get any audio to come out of reason then. to respond to other posts; reason is showing activity on the meter (as is protools) when i press the keys so i know its getting the signal. i looked in the manual and it didnt say anything about local conrol under the midi section but IF (im starting to doubt it now) but IF this piano can be used as a midi keyboard like i was told there has to be something about local control because though i didnt think about it in this case i am firmiliar with the whole local conrol issue, ill have to call the company. Also, when i open up an instrument track, maybe i am missing something, but when i click on inputs for the track there is no "midi keyboard" or anything to click on so i dont see how i could use that track to record anything. (i know i sound like a noob but i just always used an aux and midi track with no problems). And finally, when i was experimenting with a million different things trying to get something to work, i did record some midi notes from the piano onto protools, (reason not involved at this point) and during playback the notes played back through the piano speakers (but with nothing coming from my headphones plugged in the mbox... this just doesnt make sense to me.)
thanx for the help everyone this is frustrating as with many things involving pro tools hah