Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-27-2004, 02:48 PM

Default OT - New studio Layout posted, suggestions please

Looking for suggestions on how to go about building a recording studio. I have a large room which is approximately 20 ft wide by 40 ft long and am looking to see what type of supplies I would need to create a control room, tracking room, lounge, and possibly machine room (for the noisy equipment). I am primarily looking to set up something out of this space that will be used for tracking live bands, some possible video score and composition work, and maybe some voice overs.

I am looking to see what it would take and estimate a budget to make this into a project over the next year roughly and am starting out with a lot of spare left over building supplies like 2x4's, panneling, 4x4 beams, and misc. boards and pretty much myself and 4 others to build it. The ceilings in the room are approx 20 ft. high also at the peak of the building and maybe 7ft where the walls meet the ceiling leading to the peak.

My goal is to start out with making a good sounding room, and then aquire the gear list from there. If anyone has any suggestions, or would like to help in some way, please feel free to post or e-mail me and I appreciate any input that I can get as I have never built a recording studio before. I would appreciate any cost effective suggestions especially as I plan to do this out of pocket over however long it takes to complete and don't have access to a whole lot of funding yet.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: OT - Suggestions for building a recording studio

check out
http://www.johnlsayers.com

his site has a forum and great advice on how to build a top notch studio.
ev
Old 08-27-2004, 03:51 PM

John often employs many layouts, plans, and acoustical construction techniques detailed at the www.sae.edu website.

Here is a link to some layouts:
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_m...tles/Plans.htm
Old 08-28-2004, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the links guys. I will have to do some reading on the construction part and see what is involved. If you guys have any other suggestions in the mean time for good reading on building studios and acoustics I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Charlie
Old 08-28-2004, 06:07 AM

Here is a photo history of my basement studio...

www.pbase.com/riadanza/studio

If it wasn't for John Sayers site it could never have been possible.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: OT - Suggestions for building a recording stud

Deffinetly John Sayers Studio and Design Forum

And if you have the money, you should conteact him personally. Here's what he's done for me so far: http://www.stationxstudio.com/studio/New8.gif
the design plan is still being completed right now.

BTW the information on the SAE site was writen by John Sayers.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 08-28-2004, 01:32 PM

Nice pics and layout Riad and Carl!

Hmm... sounds like John is the man when it comes to building studios. Just out of curiousity, dare I ask you guys a rough ball park figure of how much $$ I would need to put together something like this with him? *cringes and waits for someone to drop the bomb* lol

The reason I am looking to somewhat put it together myself is because I cannot afford to break the bank to hire someone really right now to put together a studio. If I knew a ball park figure at what I was looking at for materials, time involved, etc.. I think I could work on idea's and creative funding for the project better.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:58 PM

im sure you could guess...but building a good studio is not cheap, but prices vary. for instance, do you have a space torn down, ready for construction? or are you starting from scratch? do you have experience in framing, putting in insulation and drywall etc.? if not, you would have to hire someone. i'd say that if i was going to build a studio from scratch(and i work often doing construction, so i could do it myself) i would put $10,000 towards the project initially. this would most likely cover all the materials, including the 703 or 705 absorbent fiberglass panels, and would possibly leave some money left over to buy some gear. thats really a rough estimate though, you gotta find out how much your willing to spend...and then usually add a couple thousand to that.

happy construction!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the rough estimate. I was thinking of attempting it myself because I have worked on a lot of building and construction type of things in the past with my Dad and have some friends that work as electricians. For starters I am thinking of renovating the space into something I can use just as my home/project studio, and down the road maybe picking up some more gear and getting into recording bands and what not if all goes well.

As for the space, it has a lot of old boards and wood in it on one side of the room, and the floor needs to be re-vamped a bit as it is in an older building on the property where my house is on the second floor, but its nothing that a bit of hard work couldn't handle.

You know, I should take some pictures and attempt to document this deal and see what type of deals I could get to put it together and you guys could help with suggestions along the way if you wanted. Down the road, I might be moving also some day so I really don't want to put 10 grand into something that I can't keep honestly you know.

Well, I will take some pics and post a link if I get a chance tonight and if you guys would like to help with some pointers I would greatly appreciate it. In the next couple of days or so, maybe I can atleast find a good spot for most of that wood that is up there and get a good idea of what the floor will take to replace. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Charlie
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 PM

The total cost of the studio (without recording gear) was about $20,000.

A/C install $4000
Electric $3000
Sheetrock $2500
Plumbing (heat) $1500
Floors $2500
Glass Doors $1600
Solid Core Doors w/soundproof trim $1500
Roxul Insulation $1000
RC Channel and Clips $1000
Lumber $1000
Fabric $500

Give or take about %10...

I saved about 10-15K doing the work myself.