Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-09-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have four gigs of memory. There only four slots???

John

If you have pairs they should be installed in slots of the same color so they run in dual channel mode.

Trying it one stick at a time is what I was suggesting to weed out whether or not you had a bad memory stick.

In other words set up the BIOS for the 5-5-5-15 timings and set the memory frequancy to 1067. If it boots with 1 stick then add another stick and reboot and see what happens untill we find the bad stick. If it won't boot try it with another stick since you have a one in four chance of grabbing the bad stick-If there is one.

If it won't boot at all then its a BIOS configuration problem.

I'm guessing its a BIOS issue but we need to eliminate the Memory from the equation.
I have two bad stick of memory . I did what you said I put them in one by one. The first stick I try it said the timing on the memory is wrong go to the bios and change the setting. So I tryed another stick and it booted to windows fine. I started opening up alot of programs and it was fine. I put in another and it worked fine. I put in the third one and it told me the same thing. So I took out the two sticks that where working fine and put in the third stick. Again it told me my timing was wrong. I going to call newegg to exchange them for some that work.
Thanks for the help Sunburst.
Your a life saver

John
Did you end up trying to set the ram voltage manually before you rma'd those sticks?

In my experience, high performance memory rarely works at rated speed and latency when voltage is set to auto in the BIOS.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
All,

Got the Q6700 CPU. Gonna build the P5K Deluxe WiFi with 2G Corsair Dominator DDR21066. What CPU heatsink is good with this board? I am running a Thermatake Silent 775 in a system now and it is great! Really quiet! Should I use a Silent 775 or a ZALMAN CNPS9500? Any suggestions?

Greg
I'm using the Noctua NH-U12F and am extremly impressed by both lack of noise and cooling performance. If you can fit a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in your case (definetely check measurements) then that is the one to go for.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
All,

Got the Q6700 CPU. Gonna build the P5K Deluxe WiFi with 2G Corsair Dominator DDR21066. What CPU heatsink is good with this board? I am running a Thermatake Silent 775 in a system now and it is great! Really quiet! Should I use a Silent 775 or a ZALMAN CNPS9500? Any suggestions?

Greg
I'm using the Noctua NH-U12F and am extremly impressed by both lack of noise and cooling performance. If you can fit a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme in your case (definetely check measurements) then that is the one to go for.
Noctua NH-U12F and Thermalright Ultra 120 are way to large for my box, but thanks! Anyone using the Thermaltake Silent 775 for Intel Quads?

Another question: If money is not an issue, what memory is the best performer for the Asus P5K Deluxe?

Thanks all,
Greg
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Just done a 3rd test in which it pushed it to the top.
Result 378 DVerbs !!!!!!

I'm very very happy with the result because before I had the 2xDualCore Opteron with 136 DVerbs
It's almost 2,5 times faster.
Yeah, that's just amazing!!

And in a few more hours...we'll have some very cheap 8-cores. This is where the CPU wars gets very interesting. Let's see what we can get from one of these native Quad-cores. 8-cores on the way...

The days of extra DSP cards are...err...I think it's about time we have Pro Tools Native! The "LE" has to go. There's nothing to prove anymore. It can be done. A few of us have already jumped ship, but we'd like to come back home.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
A few of us have already jumped ship, but we'd like to come back home.

I wonder who you would be talking about?

Matt

Old 09-10-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
...Have recorded 10 mins with 317 dverbs and system still responsive. No reds in the system window. This is still with no OC`ing.
Finally got my cpu over 50c. With stock cooling I had 52c 52c 50c 49c in this test
-Rossi
whoah!!! I'm just shocked! Congrats!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Result 378 DVerbs !!!!!!

I'm very very happy with the result because before I had the 2xDualCore Opteron with 136 DVerbs

In the beginning had some problems with recognizing 1066Mhz memory.
You should put them in the black slots and NOT in the yellow as mentioned in the manual!!
Then put manually DDR2-1066 in the bios. Works great! (Before buying memory check Asus Qualified Vendors List)
What the.... wow! Congrats!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Result 378 DVerbs !!!!!!

In the beginning had some problems with recognizing 1066Mhz memory.
You should put them in the black slots and NOT in the yellow as mentioned in the manual!!
Then put manually DDR2-1066 in the bios. Works great! (Before buying memory check Asus Qualified Vendors List)
What the.... wow! Congrats!!!
Every one else with a P35 board is running right around 280 to 300 with P35 and a Q6600. Usually if there's a result thats way out of the norm it turns out something got overlooked. Now if someone else builds a P5KC and gets the same results that would be super!

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Every one else with a P35 board is running right around 280 to 300 with P35 and a Q6600. Usually if there's a result thats way out of the norm it turns out something got overlooked. Now if someone else builds a P5KC and gets the same results that would be super!
wow...that's amazing! Mine's a P35 (p5k deluxe) too but I maxed at 257 dverbs (very happy camper here) and I've been running the system very smoothly for a few weeks now & I'm still at awe at how stable PT can be ( Thanks very much, I'm still getting used to error-free playback/records )...right now everything's nice and dandy but I don't know if I need to do more tweaks to raise my dverb count and give me some more headroom . I suspect that my weak links are my Asus 2400hd (256) graphics card and PC2 8500 Ballistix ram set to 5-5-5-15 w/c shows up at pc2- in CPU-z6400...(though I've looked around in other pc/gamers forums and seems that its common). I still haven't installed the MS hotfix. Maybe that would help, but I've read that it didn't affect Jamtimes count.
BTW, what bios versions are you have? Seems that mine's (version 0404) different version based from the walk-throughs you had in the Jumper configurations. I might have some settings wrong.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:

wow...that's amazing! Mine's a P35 (p5k deluxe) too but I maxed at 257 dverbs (very happy camper here) and I've been running the system very smoothly for a few weeks now & I'm still at awe at how stable PT can be ( Thanks very much, I'm still getting used to error-free playback/records )...right now everything's nice and dandy but I don't know if I need to do more tweaks to raise my dverb count and give me some more headroom . I suspect that my weak links are my Asus 2400hd (256) graphics card and PC2 8500 Ballistix ram set to 5-5-5-15 w/c shows up at pc2- in CPU-z6400...(though I've looked around in other pc/gamers forums and seems that its common). I still haven't installed the MS hotfix. Maybe that would help, but I've read that it didn't affect Jamtimes count.
BTW, what bios versions are you have? Seems that mine's (version 0404) different version based from the walk-throughs you had in the Jumper configurations. I might have some settings wrong.
Well I just got a new board back from ASUS so I don't know the version number. Do you have a USB or Firewire interface? For what ever reason (And I don't know why) as the Dverb counts are going up the difference in performance between the USB and FW devices is getting larger, I have no idea why this is since during the the Dverb test your hardware is actually a simple dongle. The Dverb test itself is taking place solely in the machine. If your using a USB device your results are right in the norm.

I was getting 288 with a 002. I never installed the hotfix either.

Did you set your memory to 1067 in BIOS? You need to manually set the speed. I think my memory was showing up as DDR3 8500 go figure. CPUZ is not perhaps completely optimized for quad core yet.

You may be able to pick up some Dverbs by going through the BIOS checklist.

If you do only change one thing at a time.
Some one was having problems and if theres a typo I want to know. I will go through it myself this weekend when I set mine back up.

Your video card will have no effect on PT.

How do you like the 2400?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88