Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well for the moment lets just set up the memory to the correct speed and timimg, and lets see what happens.
Hay Sunburst John again. I set the FSB to 266 and the timing to 5-5-5-15. Everything seem fine it booted to windows. Then I tryed to change the Dram Frequency to 1067 and it crashed. I restarted the computer and it went to a blue window. It sayed windows had a fatal crash and it also said something about the memory. Any thoughts??

John
It sounds like bad memory! or you bought something with slightly different specs than what was listed. The Corsair 8500C5 should run all day long at 1066MHz and 5-5-5-15 thats what its made to do. do you remenber what the BSOD said? the would be helpfull what was the message? IRQ les than equal? Page fault in nonpaged area ETC.

Step 1. Reset to the BIOS defaults again

Step 2. download and burn a copy of Memetest86 to CD and run it, You will need to set your optical drive as the first boot device. You can read more about Memtest86 at www.memtest.org.

Step 3. download CPUzwhile you there this will let us test the acual memory speed while windows is running

Did you buy your memory at Newegg by chance? If you did can you post a link to the EXACT memory you bought? You can pull up you order history under "My Account" at Newegg, find the invoice with the memory, click on the link with the memory and post it here or email it to me. At any rate it sounds like maybe bad memory, The wrong memory or we're STILL setting somthing in BIOS wrong. Dont dispair-we will get it figured out. If you bought the memory locally and can just get them to swap it out that would be great too.
Yes I bought the memory at newegg. This is the memory CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit and the item number 20-145-043. Here is a link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=20-145-043. My friend told me that is a good memory to over clock. Plus I got a forty dollars rebate. Hopefully its something Im doing wrong not the memory.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well for the moment lets just set up the memory to the correct speed and timimg, and lets see what happens.
Hay Sunburst John again. I set the FSB to 266 and the timing to 5-5-15. Everything seem fine it booted to windows. Then I tryed to change the Dram Frequency to 1067 and it crashed. I restarted the computer and it went to a blue window. It sayed windows had a fatal crash and it also said something about the memory. Any thoughts??

John
It sounds like bad memory! or you bought something with slightly different specs than what was listed. The Corsair 8500C5 should run all day long at 1066MHz and 5-5-5-15 thats what its made to do. do you remenber what the BSOD said? the would be helpfull what was the message? IRQ les than equal? Page fault in nonpaged area ETC.

Step 1. Reset to the BIOS defaults again

Step 2. download and burn a copy of Memetest86 to CD and run it, You will need to set your optical drive as the first boot device. You can read more about Memtest86 at www.memtest.org.

Step 3. download CPUzwhile you there this will let us test the acual memory speed while windows is running

Did you buy your memory at Newegg by chance? If you did can you post a link to the EXACT memory you bought? You can pull up you order history under "My Account" at Newegg, find the invoice with the memory, click on the link with the memory and post it here or email it to me. At any rate it sounds like maybe bad memory, The wrong memory or we're STILL setting somthing in BIOS wrong. Dont dispair-we will get it figured out. If you bought the memory locally and can just get them to swap it out that would be great too.
Yes I bought the memory at newegg. This is the memory CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit and the item number 20-145-043. Here is a link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=20-145-043. My friend told me that is a good memory to over clock. Plus I got a forty dollars rebate. Hopefully its something Im doing wrong not the memory.
Yes that is nice memory! better than mine! You should have no problems getting that to run at the 5-5-5-15 timings at 1066MHz then. So we're down to either setting the timings wrong in BIOS or faulty memory,it happens. A quick run with Memtest86 would let us know if there is a bad stick in the pair. You could also try booting the machine at the 1066 memory speeds with each stick by itself to see if one or the other of the sticks are the culprit.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-08-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I have been running an ASUS A8N-E Motherboard with an AMD FX-55 Processor and getting great results. I am able to record 16 tracks on my 002 with the playback buffer set at 64 samples, I can create a cue mix with reverb and monitor everything in real time. However my power supply died and took out my Mobo and processor so I am considering upgrading to a core 2 system but all the posts I find have their playback buffer set at 1024 samples. At one point I tried a dual core AMD Processor (X2 4200),(FX-55 is single core)and could not get the latency below 512 without errors, even with the dual core fix. How do the core 2 systems perform at 64 samples playback buffer. Please give me some feedback on this. I don't care so much about 300 d-verbs as I do about stable low latencies.
You should have no problems running the Core 2 Quads at any buffer speed you want, Your seeing 1024 a lot becuase thats the buffer setting for the Dverb test. These things are pumping our 280-290 Dverbs consistantly. The orginal Quadzillas were pumping out 175-180 with the faster later Opterons, Thats 100 Dverbs more. You not going to kind a faster single socket machine right now. Somewhere in the posts about a month back are some other Dverb posts at lower buffers and higher sample rates. Off the top of my head I think I got around 140 Dverbs at 64 but I can't remember for sure. Jamtime runs at 64 all the time I beleive.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-08-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Just done a 3rd test in which it pushed it to the top.
Result 378 DVerbs !!!!!!

I'm very very happy with the result because before I had the 2xDualCore Opteron with 136 DVerbs
It's almost 2,5 times faster.

In the beginning had some problems with recognizing 1066Mhz memory.
You should put them in the black slots and NOT in the yellow as mentioned in the manual!!
Then put manually DDR2-1066 in the bios. Works great! (Before buying memory check Asus Qualified Vendors List)
Have you tried the memory in the yellow slots and compared the difference? Then again you have a different board than me so I don't know if it even pertains. Just curious.

DJ
Old 09-08-2007, 12:04 PM

It shouldn't make any differance which slots they are in as long as they are the same color.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 09-08-2007, 03:17 PM

I have four gigs of memory. There only four slots???

John
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:

John

If you have pairs they should be installed in slots of the same color so they run in dual channel mode.

Trying it one stick at a time is what I was suggesting to weed out whether or not you had a bad memory stick.

In other words set up the BIOS for the 5-5-5-15 timings and set the memory frequancy to 1067. If it boots with 1 stick then add another stick and reboot and see what happens untill we find the bad stick. If it won't boot try it with another stick since you have a one in four chance of grabbing the bad stick-If there is one.

If it won't boot at all then its a BIOS configuration problem.

I'm guessing its a BIOS issue but we need to eliminate the Memory from the equation.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:

John

If you have pairs they should be installed in slots of the same color so they run in dual channel mode.

Trying it one stick at a time is what I was suggesting to weed out whether or not you had a bad memory stick.

In other words set up the BIOS for the 5-5-5-15 timings and set the memory frequancy to 1067. If it boots with 1 stick then add another stick and reboot and see what happens untill we find the bad stick. If it won't boot try it with another stick since you have a one in four chance of grabbing the bad stick-If there is one.

If it won't boot at all then its a BIOS configuration problem.

I'm guessing its a BIOS issue but we need to eliminate the Memory from the equation.
I have two bad stick of memory . I did what you said I put them in one by one. The first stick I try it said the timing on the memory is wrong go to the bios and change the setting. So I tryed another stick and it booted to windows fine. I started opening up alot of programs and it was fine. I put in another and it worked fine. I put in the third one and it told me the same thing. So I took out the two sticks that where working fine and put in the third stick. Again it told me my timing was wrong. I going to call newegg to exchange them for some that work.
Thanks for the help Sunburst.
Your a life saver

John
Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM

I'm glad its sorted out, sorry you had problems!

It's very tough to try to trouble shoot things across the web!

Jamtime had some misalabled memory also I believe it was a different brand though.

If your within 30 days NewEgg should exchange it right away.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

John
Doesn't Windows XP only see 3 gigs of memory? Why have 4? Dual boot?

Greg