Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

This may be a dumb question but I was thinking about buying one of these Core 2 Duo setups next week, but I also like the idea from Allen's thread where he chose to go with 2 separate processors on the same motherboard. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a motherboard that will accomodate two Core 2 Duo processors simultaneously -- or would that not be feasible/logical? I don't know much about comparing processor speeds but it would seem to me that 2 would be faster than 1. I'm looking to spend no more than $750 on the processor(s) alone, so whatever is best for that amount of money I will go with.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 AM

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Dell Precision "M65 Core Duo" notebook, and I did not manage yet to make it work with my DIGI-002r...

The issue I'm experiencing is that during the ProTools LE boot-up the application hangs during the "Setting up peripherals" phase, switching on and off my DIGI-002 rack and loosing the firewire connection. ProTools eventually succeed to load, but then if I try to play/record a track I get a message saying "Problem detected with audio clock, check that your clock source and sample rate are correct"...

Everything works perfectly instead when I connect the DIGI-002 to my desktop PC!

In order to sort-out this annoying issue here is the list of the "workarounds" I did:
- Upgraded ProTools to the latest CS release (7.1cs9)
- Updated the PACE drivers to the latest version
- Deleted DAE and ProTools preference files
- Deleted the Digidesign Databases folders
- Disabled unecessary system startup items (with exception of the "MMERefresh")
- Disabled bluetooth, WiFi and the internal modem
- Disabled the multi-core support and the speed-stepping in the BIOS

These are the specifications of my notebook:
- M65 Core Duo Processor T2500 (2.0GHz 2MB L2 cache)
- 2.0GB RAM
- 80GB (7.200rpm) hard drive
- Integrated 4 pins firewire adaptor

Any help and suggestions are deeply appreciated
Old 09-15-2006, 04:23 AM

Quote:
The D-verb test results are in!!!!!!

Recapping - here's the setup

PTle 7
002rack
core 2 duo e6600 (2.4g)
Asus P5B motherboard (965 chipset)
2 gig DDR2 667 ram (geil)
ATI X800XT 256mg Graphics

Bios normal
Windows fresh install - fully updated to latest patches.

__________________________________________________ ________________

I was using a fresh session of a live recording, so it was:

cpu capacity set to 90% - 2 processors

20 tracks .wav @ 24bit/48k (each track was 45 min long coming from a 7200rpm ide drive)
only mono d-verb plugins.
( i needed to create some mono aux tracks to get more plugins running)

This is the plugin count with the tracks playing for at least a minute without the cpu limit error. (i found that if the track played to beging with, it wouldn't overload the cpu)

buffer 64 ........................ 49 D-verbs!!
buffer 128 ........................ 99 D-verb!!!
buffer 256 ........................ 102 D-verbs!
buffer 512 ........................ 104 D-verbs!
buffer 1024 ........................ 120 D-verbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps all of you with your cpu choice - I have no idea how many d-verbs run on other systems, because I've never really looked into this b4, so I would like to see other d-verb tests for comparison. But this looks good to me!

Mcpram...
Forgot to add - quite impressive results being a 1x Dual Core.
Could you please share with us the cost of your Computer configuration ?

Cheers,
J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 AM

[Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel 6700 core 2 Duo
Asus P5WDG2-WS Motherboard (975 chipset)
Asus EN7950GX2 (Nvida) graphics controller
2 GB Ram PC800
Dual Monitor setup
Windows Xp pro SP2 + all security patches clean install.
Only non-standard Bios setting is to recognise the PC800 memory as PC800 (not autodetected)
Running PT 7 LE with Digi-002
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great
What gives the D-Verb test on this baby ?
Cheers,
- J ]

Not sure what the dverb test is - have posted the davecII test in the davec section.

[Quote: cdxpat - your rig is along the lines of the one I'm gonna build for myself. Gotta love those 7950GTX's! What RAM do you have?]

Re 7950 - beware the drivers dont currently support a proper dual mode configuration - you can do it but you have to configure in a lower performance mode. Might as well get two separate cards at much lower cost.
It is corsair RAM but if you arent overclocking i wouldnt bother paying the extra for the higher spec as apparently the best multiplier to use with the 6700 is 533.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:33 AM

Morning all!

Hey yarrick 19 and jdissonant! Check out this MoFo - Kentsfield - four cores on one chip, coming soon - now imagine two of them on one MoBo... 8 cores in one machine - that's probably around 600 Dverbs!!!

almamater - we're trying to discover the pros and cons of the core 2 duo - it seems like you have an earlier generation core duo. Always happy to help a fellow DUC'er tho... I'm guessing it might be the firewire connection in your notebook. Can you get hold of any alternative firewire (card or something) for your machine? Another thought is to check and see if you have the latest motherboard/chipset drivers for your laptop - you never know, they may have updated the MoBo drivers to a level that may work for you. Best of luck ...

hey cdxpat. So how have you configured your machine? Did you back off your ram to a lower speed? Are you overclocking anything? As I said earlier, I'm considering a P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe (too long a name for a MoFo MoBo). Hopefully the Nforece 4 SLI chipset will be ok - the Nforce 4 seems to have been fine with the AMD stuff. After that I'll add 2x 7600GS Silents - should give acceptable performance for (ahem!) games as well as silent computing for recording...

Cheeers

Doogz
Old 09-16-2006, 08:14 AM

Hello!

I managed to solve the issue with my DELL Precision M65...

The issue was related to a bad communication with the integrated 4-pins FireWire connector: it was sufficient to plug a PCMCIA FireWire adaptor and everything worked straight away!!

The PCMCIA card I purchased is a "LACIE FireWire 800 PC Card".

Hope my struggling will be helpful to some other people
Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 AM

Hey all, Placed order for:

INTEL E6600
ASUS P5B P965 775
2 GIG CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 800 MHZ RAM BL2KIT12864AA804 R
WINDOWS XP PRO SP2
NZXT APOLLO CASE
ROSEWILL 550 WATT POWER SUPPLY

for Protools LE 7.1 and 002 rack

The ram was a great deal, New Egg has it on sale for $ 288.99 plus there is a $ 100.00 mail in rebate. The voltage is higher than the standard 1.8 at 2.2 so bios may need to be adjusted, but the perfomance numbers, lifetime warrenty and price $ 188.99 got my interest. Crucials sight says they have tested with the P5B DELUXE and P5B E so I hope it will go with standard P5B. I am going to try my already working PCI firewire card, dont even remember what it is, but will confirm asap for referance. I still need to get a DVD drive, a couple sata 2 hard drives and the final pick on a video card. I plan to run dual dvi so beyond the basics I am still shopping, your choices all seem like good ones !

Will start building as soon as parts arrive, will keep you up to date, still looks like the way to go. How about those test numbers , I can't wait to get going.

The Waiting Is The Hardest Part, Bob
Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 PM

Here's a link to yet another Core 2 Duo machine running good.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...1049827&Forum=,

Quote:
I should have the first machine with the P5B Deluxe up and running within a week so I keep you all up to date.
Dooqz, how is your P5B Deluxe doing?

WayOutSound, good luck! Keep us posted.

-n
Old 09-20-2006, 09:32 PM

bump//

how you guys going ?

more d-verb tests please !!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:54 PM

I have a X6800 CPU but have not selected which Asus board I will build with. I liked the P5B Deluxe but the Raid controller has issues from what I read. I use Raid in mirror mode for data storage (not OS or audio drives). Trying to see what is the best board for ProTools that I can use for other things too. So far, the P5B Deluxe is my first choice if they would just get that Raid controller fixed. Anyone have any experienece with Raid on this board?

Greg