Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Switching from Mac to PC and upgrading PT

I've been running PT7 on my IMac for the past 10 years or so and my computer has finally quit on me. I'm looking into having a PC built and I'm trying to figure out the best way to tackle this transition. I realize that I'll probably have to upgrade from PT7 since I doubt it's compatible with anything current, but I have a DIGI003 that I'd like to continue using. I see that the 003 is compatible up to PT12.7.1, so I'll get that or an older version. Has anyone gone though a transition similar to this? I'm also looking for recommendations on what components to look for or avoid with my build. Last time I went though this it was a total nightmare with compatibility, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Switching from Mac to PC and upgrading PT

Build your own. Choose a form factor (rack mount for example) and buy a case. Get a fanless power supply, 500W is fine. Choose an Intel processor. Then pick a motherboard that matches and at least 16GB RAM. Grab two or three SSD’s and a copy of Windows 7 or 10 and there ya go. Oh, get a motherboard that supports Thunderbolt.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Have a look at the i7 Thread in the Windows forum, ask questions, put up a list of your parts, get opinions, advice, suggestions. I did that four years ago and my PC is till going great and will for several more years. Also, once built, be sure to use a backup imaging program like Macrium Reflect (there's a free version) and do all the Avid optimizations and more.

And be sure to get Trasher, and if you don't want to build it yourself, want a computer built for Pro Tools from the ground up and fully supported, try guitardom's company.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Have a look at the i7 Thread in the Windows forum, ask questions, put up a list of your parts, get opinions, advice, suggestions. I did that four years ago and my PC is till going great and will for several more years. Also, once built, be sure to use a backup imaging program like Macrium Reflect (there's a free version) and do all the Avid optimizations and more.

And be sure to get Trasher, and if you don't want to build it yourself, want a computer built for Pro Tools from the ground up and fully supported, try guitardom's company.
+1. That i7 build thread is what I studied when I built my "ancient" i7 rig (which is still a stable workhorse). I'm sure I'll upgrade everything ... one of these days !!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-10-2017, 07:45 AM

Great! Thanks! I'll get on this stuff and hopefully get something built without too much pain. Thanks for the input.