Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 PM

Default Editing with tempo/meter changes

I am spoiled by other programs such as Reaper when it comes to this particular need, and I'm wondering if PT has anything that compares, or if anyone has any tips:

I compose songs with a lot of tempo and meter changes (such is the way of prog rock!). When composing, I frequently have to add intros, change the length of song sections, etc....which normally is a breeze in PT, except in the case of tempo/time changes, where it is always necessary to shift-click each conductor ruler with every selection, and then only works with cut/copy/paste.

I would have thought that "Lock timeline and edit selection" would do this, but it doesn't...I've tried creating a Group out of a selection that included the conductor events, and no luck...I've also tried using the seperator tool with conductor events selected, but it generates a dialogue box stating that this feature isn't supported, use cut/copy/paste instead...

It seems like it's so close to being effortless, like it would be such a tiny tweak for Digi to make this work intuitively...Maybe it's hiden somewhere I can't find? Is there an option hidden somewhere, or combination of shortcut keys that will make this possible?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Editing with tempo/meter changes

Time Operations>Insert & Cut Time.

filosofem
Old 02-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Time Operations>Insert & Cut Time.

filosofem
Thanks, that definitely takes care of the issue when inserting intros!

As for the other examples I gave, I still wonder if there are ways of including conductor events when creating Groups, or any ways that do not require always shift-clicking the conductor track when editing...
Old 02-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplanet View Post
or any ways that do not require always shift-clicking the conductor track when editing...
No you need to include those Rulers to move those events.

filosofem
Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
No you need to include those Rulers to move those events.

filosofem
I thought so -- that's too bad...I'm holding out some hope that there might be some way to include them in Groups, which would be brilliant...It would make sense, for example, that if you created a group out of a song section that had many tempo changes, that those would be preserved when you drag/drop them onto the timeline...
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
that there might be some way to include them in Groups, which would be brilliant...It would make sense, for example, that if you created a group out of a song section that had many tempo changes, that those would be preserved when you drag/drop them onto the timeline...
Agreed, dropping 'Region Groups' to the Pro Tools Timeline which include Ruler events is the way to go.

Workaround, Export Rulers as an SMF, Export track media as Region Group, Spot Import Region Group and Spot Import SMF checking relevant Rulers.

filosofem
Old 03-02-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I thought so -- that's too bad...I'm holding out some hope that there might be some way to include them in Groups, which would be brilliant...It would make sense, for example, that if you created a group out of a song section that had many tempo changes, that those would be preserved when you drag/drop them onto the timeline...
For me, it would be a HUGE PITA if the tempo changes were included in the region group. I score to picture a lot and have TONS of tempo changes throughout a piece based on the picture. So for me, writing a part, creating a region group out of it and then dropping it in throughout a cue adn having it automatically conform to whatever tempo changes I have set at that spot is a godsend! It would double my work time if I had to constantly be redoing tempo changes.

So there's a case for it working the way it does, as much as there is for the way you would like it to work.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
For me, it would be a HUGE PITA if the tempo changes were included in the region group. I score to picture a lot and have TONS of tempo changes throughout a piece based on the picture. So for me, writing a part, creating a region group out of it and then dropping it in throughout a cue adn having it automatically conform to whatever tempo changes I have set at that spot is a godsend! It would double my work time if I had to constantly be redoing tempo changes.

So there's a case for it working the way it does, as much as there is for the way you would like it to work.
Easily solved - there could be an option to include conductor rulers when editing...Even now, when you cut/copy/paste, you are prompted whether to allow the operation to change the tempo map...
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 PM

Cut Time would work for me but... I get an error and Pro Tools freezes every time I do it.

I don't understand this thing you guys mentioned about shift-clicking the ruler. I'm on a PC. I tried it, but it doesn't seem to work. I looked in the manual and I can't find any help.

Can someone please explain in a bit more detail how I can move tempo changes and meter changes?

Thanks!
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr

Last edited by chrismeraz; 02-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 AM

Can someone please explain in more detail how I can move tempo changes and meter changes?
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr