Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 07-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Default Help!

Many years ago, I purchased Pro Tools 8 -M Powered, the version that worked with the M-Audio Fasttack Ultra.

I have over a decade of work in the form of original music I have recorded using this configuration.

As you know, support for the Fast Track Ultra has sadly been halted.

I would like to buy an audio interface that will work with the version of Pro tools I have. What audio interfaces would be recommended? I am looking for something that is reasonably priced, as i am hoping to resurrect Pro tools primarily to access my previous work- as I have thousands of hours of work that are stored.

I was looking at buying this product:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07QR6Z1JB/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

However, i need to make sure I am buying something that will work with the version of Pro tools I have. If the above product will not work, what might you recommend?

Thank-you for your time and consideration.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Help!

I recommend getting the newest version of Pro Tools(what you have is not likely to work with any current OS anyway). Then, you can look at a huge assortment of interfaces(PT M-Powered ONLY works with M-Audio interfaces). To narrow down the options, you need to decide on what IO you need(inputs, outputs, # of mic preamps), what connections you have available(firewire, thunderbolt, USB3, USB3, etc), and how much you can afford to spend. This is also a good time to review your current computer and decide if it can keep going, or if it needs to be retired. Your old sessions SHOULD open on any newer version of Pro Tools, but some plugins may be changed or currently no longer available(if your current recording drive is old enough, it might use an IDE connection that has gone the way of the dodo bird, so copy them over to a modern USB3 external drive(in case you can't make a newer computer talk to the old drive).

If all this seems like too much work or too much money, go shopping for a used M-Audio FastTrack Ultra(or if you have a firewire connection, the Profire 2626 was the best M-Audio interface they ever made)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 PM

First, thank-you so much for your reply and advice.

I should have provided more information, and I apologize for that. Let me add the following:

I switched over to Logic Pro X because I had to switch to an Imac, and I heard a lot of good things about Logic. I am very pleased with it. That's not to take away anything from ProTools, as I really liked it as well.

I don't think i will update to the latest version of Protools because I am vested with Logic.

I do have a Fast Track Ultra, but I found that it became unstable as the drivers were no longer updated. I am running Windows 10 on my PC, which clashes with the FT Ultra, as well as Windows 7 (dual boot) whihc is simply there to facilitate Pro Tools 8.

The reason Pro Tools 8 works on the Windows 7 PC is because I am now using a very old M-Audio FT Pro.

So, my goal is to replace thw M-Audio FT Pro with something more modern, but small. Again, its only purpose will be to work with my previous PT projects.

On the Logic DAW, I am using a Steinberg UR44 whihc i have found to be a solid pick with great features, I highly recommend it.

So back to the problem- is there a small audio interface that would work with Pro tools 8 M Powered, preferably on Windows 10- failing that, Windows 7.

Again. Sorry for the missing details and thanks again!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 PM

As I said, ONLY M-Audio interfaces will work. You already know that their drivers are suspect and the hardware is mostly obsolete. Trying to continue using either old hardware or old software is likely to be frustrating, at best(why I suggested newer). The odds are very good that newer Pro Tools(not M-Powered and not LE) will work with the UR44(check with Steinberg for compatibility).

M-Powered 8 does require the 8.0.5 update for use with Windows 7(not sure if would work at all with Windows 10). So, if you don't have that update installed, it may be worth trying

Old 07-11-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal D View Post
So back to the problem- is there a small audio interface that would work with Pro tools 8 M Powered, preferably on Windows 10- failing that, Windows 7.
!
No. M-powered hardware is dead. The M-powered software was locked to the M-powered hardware. That is over. Other company's hardware won't work with your software. And M-powered is dead.

Once again: Dead.

You have the choice of living with what you have or upgrading the Pro Tools software (which, once upgraded, will work with the Steinberg interface.)

The best option, if you can, is print down your old sessions to audio with your old system and then bring those audio files into your new DAW of choice. Otherwise, expect to pay the money.
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire HD10 + Max11, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.5 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-12-2019, 05:36 AM

Thanks again.

The thing that turns me off about Protools, is that you have to subscribe to it. I don’t like that idea.

I wonder if Pro Tools First with the Steinberg 44 might work.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks again.

The thing that turns me off about Protools, is that you have to subscribe to it. I don’t like that idea.

Yes, it should.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks again.

Just remember that 3rd party plugins doesn’t work in PT First and only plugins bought via Avid Store and PT First Market place will run on that version.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-12-2019, 06:49 PM

You can buy Pro Tools software outright. The subscription is an option.