Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Re: iMac fans starting to get hot and very noisy again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
Just wanted to prove to myself that this is a definite ‘GPU’ problem…

1. I have watched YouTube videos all afternoon and the iMac never made a sound, No heat, no noisy fan. NOTHING whatsoever!

2. Then… I went on Google maps..! '‘WOW, I’m telling you’' after zooming in to ‘Street view’ and zooming out (Aerial view) more-or-less for a minute, I thought the iMac was going to 'blow-up’ The noise it made was unbelievable and, the heat from the back vent was ‘literally’ blazing.

3. Exactly the same situation with Tumblr and Tumbex pages (static/dynamic or gif images), i.e.: ‘Noisy blaring fan’ and ‘blazing hot air’

So… YouTube is: CPU intensive and the others (including the Pro Tools GUI) are: GPU intensive?

Would I be correct to assume this? Or is everything I have mentioned (above), CPU intensive, but, the GPU function only applies to number 2, and 3, as well as Pro Tools?

Just want to get something straight in my head.

Thanks
Google maps is very cpu intensive. If you have a big enough cache set in it's prefs you could pull the internet connection and still zoom in and out and a bunch of other stuff. So between the cpu and gpu there's a whole bunch of stuff going on. PT is a mixture of cpu & gpu intensive usage.

QAPLA!
Old 07-07-2019, 03:25 PM

Juat to be 100000% clear, no one here can say what is wrong in your computer setup as all we can do is guess. Asking Jack to say that it is your graphic card isn't fair as he can't be sure either without beeing there and doing tests.

The best advice is Jack telling you to go in getting that iMac to a Mac certified help support and let them figure it out for you before starting to buy a lot of new stuff.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Asking Jack to say that it is your graphic card isn't fair.
But it is the graphic card - and everyone can see it. I am getting a new iMac because this one has had it, as far as I'm concerned; what with the lingering image persistence problem and everything else.

I am just very grateful to have received a professional and speculative analysis from some very, very good people who are in the know. It gives me 'food for thought' and I 'take it all on board'

Thankyou

Last edited by jamesleonard; 07-07-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: I like this place
Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 PM

My gut feel is its likely not "just the graphics card", I would more expect a combination of stuff, maybe a faulty fan, corrupt PMC, poor airflow, bad thermal paste, faulty temp sensor, etc.

And there are lots of resources (but they are a bit scattered) on the Web that cover troubleshooting fan issues. From checking the vent air flow, resetting the PMC etc., checking for faulty fans, etc. all those things you should try yourself.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-d...ud-macbook-fan
(but many others as well).

I've had multiple issues with MacBook Pros that were due to lint/dust ingestion, one of two fans failing, or corrupted SMC. I've also had older iMacs such a huge amount of dust into them.

Some of this could be as simple as your iMac switching to the "high performance" GPU and that then triggering issues in combination with other things when running Pro Tools or other select apps, and that flipping the system into higher fan speeds. You can watch in the Activity Monitor GPU screens and see what GPU is being used. Or there is another utility, not sure if it still works on latest macOS.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
My gut feel is its likely not "just the graphics card", I would more expect a combination of stuff, maybe a faulty fan, corrupt PMC, poor airflow, bad thermal paste, faulty temp sensor, etc.

And there are lots of resources (but they are a bit scattered) on the Web that cover troubleshooting fan issues. From checking the vent air flow, resetting the PMC etc., checking for faulty fans, etc. all those things you should try yourself.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-d...ud-macbook-fan
(but many others as well).

I've had multiple issues with MacBook Pros that were due to lint/dust ingestion, one of two fans failing, or corrupted SMC. I've also had older iMacs such a huge amount of dust into them.

Some of this could be as simple as your iMac switching to the "high performance" GPU and that then triggering issues in combination with other things when running Pro Tools or other select apps, and that flipping the system into higher fan speeds. You can watch in the Activity Monitor GPU screens and see what GPU is being used. Or there is another utility, not sure if it still works on latest macOS.
It seems that no matter the Mac (laptop, desktop) they like to collect dust bunnies. Something for the op to look at is are the air intake(s) blocked? My 2011 27 inch iMac had the air intake through the ram slot covers in the bottom - where are they in the op's iMac?

QAPLA!