Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Purchasing a NEW 27‑inch iMac with Retina 5K display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Samsung 860 EVO 4TB $580
Samsung 860 Pro 4 TB $950
Samsung 860 QVO 4 TB $500

All from B&H in NYC.

But Yeah - a 4TB 7200 rpm spinner is way cheaper $180 for a 4TB WD Black from B&H - supply your own case as you would with the above ssd.

Have no idea if a 4TB nvme drive even exists and if it does the price would be astronomical.
Yea those are great prices these days on SSD’s. We have SSD’s only for everything from recording to backups as when we record we record to several SSD’s at the same time since the backups are setup that way but 500 Eurp and up is a lot for a home hobby setup, thats why I would get a bigger internal drive for recording and a big spinner for sample libs.

A sad thing here I truly believe is that less than 20% of people here have backups as they either dont wanna spend the money and or think it wont happen to them as it never has in the past ... I would be VERY surprised if more than 25-ish % has adequate backup setups!!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-07-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Samsung 860 EVO 4TB $580
Samsung 860 Pro 4 TB $950
Samsung 860 QVO 4 TB $500

All from B&H in NYC.

But Yeah - a 4TB 7200 rpm spinner is way cheaper $180 for a 4TB WD Black from B&H - supply your own case as you would with the above ssd.

Have no idea if a 4TB nvme drive even exists and if it does the price would be astronomical.
EDIT: GRR iOS has decided it's going to autocorrect NVMe to NVNe. Hopefully fixed them all.

Jack are you pointing this out for external use on an iMac with a USB carrier/sled?

If so you can just go with a Samsung T5... currently $300 for 2TB (also B&H price).

But these are all slow SATA SSDs... but getting so cheap they may be good options for sample storage.

The much faster external option for an iMac is a Thunderbolt 3/NVMe SSD like a Samsung X5 or Sonnet Fusion Thunderbolt 3 (nice product, stupid name as it has nothing to do with Apple crappy Fusion drives). The 2TB X5 is currently ~$800. Samsung is gouging pricing there due to limited Thunderbolt 3 market size (basically Apple users who are already price gouged by Apple).

... we should see a large increase in availability and decrease in price in future of that class of external NVMe SSD as USB4 is adopted on PCs (and presumably Macs) and that provides wider scale support for these external NVMe drives (Thunderbolt 3 is incorporated into USB4 Standard, abd will hopefully actually be widely implemented).

—-

Not that these drives are compatible with internal use in an iMac (but you could run then in an external Thunderbolt3 adapter).

The M.2 PCIe/NVMe equivalent is the 970 Evo around $490 for 2TB, which is stunning price/performance. And shows how much The Apple tax is on their internal SSD... but I would still tend to pay that, especially to avoid dealing with external drives if that was possible. Anybody with a real computer, one with PCIe slots like a classic Mac Pro Cheesegrater (or a new one )... the M.2 NVMe drives are the way to go.

Larger NVMe drives exist today, in similar but larger/wider M.2 like NF1/M3, U.2 (2.5”), and full card PCIe slot packaging, and neat large “ruler”/EDSFF packaging being pushed by folks including Intel. (The evolution of packaging names has been horrible and confusing). But M.2 is where the consumer and much other action is. Samsung has a NF1 4TB drive that is some folks are advertising as low as $1.3k online, I'm not sure if that price is real, list is more ~$2.5k. Whole different market and price point, but even then high-end price/performance is heading in the good direction fairly fast.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-07-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:08 PM

Another option could be to do it the way I do at my work iMac. I run OSX off of an external SSD thunderbolt drive enclosure for my iMac and use the internal drive for backup as it has a Fusion (Complete Garbage) drive.

It would be much cheaper to use an external SSD than pay for the internal SSD upgrade cost. You can use an External Thunderbolt SSD as your system drive and use the stock internal SSD that comes with the mac as your Audio Drive.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
Another option could be to do it the way I do at my work iMac. I run OSX off of an external SSD thunderbolt drive enclosure for my iMac and use the internal drive for backup as it has a Fusion (Complete Garbage) drive.

It would be much cheaper to use an external SSD than pay for the internal SSD upgrade cost. You can use an External Thunderbolt SSD as your system drive and use the stock internal SSD that comes with the mac as your Audio Drive.
That can work, and you may be the best way to go for some folks. Part of my goal was to avoid any external disk, but the moment you allow external disk the options may flip around like this. For really heavy work smaller passive cooled external NVMe SSD may get too hot and throttle (I expect my Samsung X5 is... it gets pretty warm when pushed doing a lot of IO (more than *I* would do using it just for Pro Tools) and I should measure the performance and see). But in a fan cooled external chassis I expect them to do much better. I also wonder if those larger chassis, are better at avoiding accidental bumping and unplugging, the smaller drives seem are easier to move/bump and maybe accidentally unplug.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 AM

About frigging time... Apple drops storage upgrade prices. https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/09...es-price-drop/
Old 07-13-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesleonard View Post
I NEED to purchase a new iMac for Pro Tools 2019. Will this be ok now

* 3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
* 1TB SSD storage
* 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory (obviously, I will buy my own RAM, which will be maxed to 64GB - apple RAM is way expensive)
* Radeon Pro Vega 48 with 8GB of HBM2 memory OR, Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory (What is the best graphics option for Pro Tools 2019?)

Thanks
I had the same thing with an i7 and I resold it. The sound of the fan (behind the screen) is unbearable. Everything is so tight in an iMac that it heats up and the fan is overused. At least with a hybrid disc.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 07-13-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
I had the same thing with an i7 and I resold it. The sound of the fan (behind the screen) is unbearable. Everything is so tight in an iMac that it heats up and the fan is overused. At least with a hybrid disc.
That hybrid (what Apple calls a Fusion drive) is the problem - remember that it's part spinner and those are what generates the heat. Put a pure ssd in there and the heat generated by the spinner is no more.

QAPLA!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
That hybrid (what Apple calls a Fusion drive) is the problem - remember that it's part spinner and those are what generates the heat. Put a pure ssd in there and the heat generated by the spinner is no more.

You are right. But there is perhaps also the necessary cooling of the monitor 5 k?

• Etc.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
You are right. But there is perhaps also the necessary cooling of the monitor 5 k?
Not so much the monitor but the video card. The screen itself doesn't really generate all that much heat (if any). Most of the heat in these beasts is the video card and cpu.

QAPLA!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Not so much the monitor but the video card. The screen itself doesn't really generate all that much heat (if any). Most of the heat in these beasts is the video card and cpu.

That's what I was trying to say. The map provides 5k ...

• Etc.