Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-10-2005, 06:42 PM

Default cheap direct guitar recording?

hi
what would be a better option for recording direct guitar?
the line 6 POD? or maybe by a direct box and run my guitar pedals thru it? or maybe something else you can recomend? I only have around $200 to spend.
thanks for your coments and ideas.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Re: cheap direct guitar recording?

Picture this:

POD----into----interface---{RECORD}----{PLAYBACK}----insert/send-----POD----into interface

SO in essence, if you only have a budget for one item, do this. Send a Modeled Amp/Cab from the POD into protools and record the clean signal, then when it's time for effects, send the first insert back out to the POD and then add whatever effects back into PT.

If you know how to work the Digidesign delays that come with protools, you can make almost any kind of modulation effects(Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, etc) without buying additional plugs or hardware.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:21 AM

I'm never been a fan of the Pod, be it v2.0 or the newer XT. I purchased a pair of Radial DI boxes mid-last year, and they've been great. The JDI is passive and uses a Jensen transformer, while the J48 is powered by 48V (as the name would imply).

for more info, check out www.radialeng.com

.. of course you don't get all the amp and effects modelling, but none of them are all that convincing anyways.

Richard
Old 01-20-2005, 01:01 AM

TRUE,

the POD is not as good as having the real thing. BUT - if you've only got $200 then you're not going to be able to afford one of the many amps that it models. I've used the POD quite a lot and have found it to be very good for what it does, which is FAKE some of the greatest (and most expensive) amps ever made. The model of the Fender '65 Reverb Deluxe (Black Panel) in particular is very good and so are the heavy metal Marshall type amps. Very quick and easy to use - plug it in and away you go!!! I wouldn't necessarily recommend running the signal back through the POD again on the way out though, for 2 reasons
#1 - you'll get the amp simulation twice (there's no real amp-sim bypass, although setting tube-preamp is pretty close)
#2 - the effects on the POD are NOT very good anyway, your pro-tools plugins will do a better job most the time.

Lots of people have them now, so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who will lend you one for a couple of days to try it out.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:16 PM

The POD and the Behringer are both great for that. You can also send that signal back out to a real speaker if possible and "re-amp" it. The POD actually sounds better than some of the rigs I get in here with the younger bands.
You can also use Samsamp after recording the guitar to change the tone even more. One guy uses a Vox pedal that sounds pretty good, but I think they are more than $200.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM

I don't know if your running HD but AmpFarm 3.0 looks mighty Fine!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM

POD POD POD POD.

Get the original, 2.0 version. They're a hundred bucks or less right now used.

Dial in your sound and strip the effects completely away, they can be added in the mix, with higher quality TDM FX. For GTR on the cheap...man oh man...priceless. I've done tracks that have fooled some very high end engineers...granted, it takes a very good mixer to bring it all together, but if you get a good clean "to tape" signal with no FX, you can do wonders with the POD. Email me, and I'll turn you on to some examples of stuff I did with one.

Smack

System 1: Retina MBP 512SSD/16RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
System 2: Mac Mini - 512SSD/8RAM - Thunderbolt HDX1/HDIO
OSX 10.8.5
Pro Tools 10 HD
Pro Tools 11 HD
SYNC HD