Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-23-2002, 10:58 PM

Default question for anyone already using winxp- this is not a ptle update thread!

as the time draws closer to the ptle xp release, i have a question for those already using xp as their main OS (not a dual boot setup). did you do a fresh install, or update from 98se/ME? just curious which is the best way to go.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:19 PM

Default Re: question for anyone already using winxp- this is not a ptle update thread!

Quote:
Originally posted by 8mmOverdose:
did you do a fresh install, or update from 98se/ME? just curious which is the best way to go.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ME 2... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 04-23-2002, 11:24 PM

Default Re: question for anyone already using winxp- this is not a ptle update thread!

Do a clean install...XP pro. Then strip it down to the minimum.
Old 04-23-2002, 11:28 PM

GP,
Thanks, and forgive my ignorance, but basically what does 'strip it down' mean? Like take all the bull**** frills off?

Thanks, Roy
Old 04-23-2002, 11:44 PM

If I buy the upgrade, can I still install it with a clean harddrive?

thats how I upgraded 95 to 98, installed 98 then it asked for 95disk, I put in the 95 disk, checked and on with the install.

Is it the same with 98 to xp?

Thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 04-24-2002, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GP:
Do a clean install...XP pro. Then strip it down to the minimum.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">GP- can you post some pointers as to how to strip it down? thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-24-2002, 01:13 AM

There is a guide for setting up XP for audio on the Tascam site. I would provide the URL, but I can't remember it. It was easy to find though.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:38 AM

I bought an upgrade to XP... you CAN do a "clean install" with that - it just asks you for your original WIN 98 / ME disk at one point in the installation process to confirm that you're elegible for the "upgrade".

Yes, that's the method I used. Wipe the drive and install from scratch. Personally, I'd recommend XP Home instead of "Pro" unless you know you'll be using a dual CPU mobo at some point in the near future.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:08 AM

phil,

just interested why you recommend xp home instead of pro?

~matt
Old 04-24-2002, 02:17 AM

I did a clean install - always a better idea, especially as you an get rid of loads of crap you may have accumulated.

I don't know if you can get a magazine called Sound on Sound, but there was a very good article a couple of months ago about setting up XP for music. One of the main recommendations was not to install ACPI support, as this will enable power management which may stop the drive or monitor after periods or inactivity, and, more importantly, interrupt sharing, which may force the 001 to share with another card - something you definately don't want.

My two cents