Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-1999, 06:48 PM

Default Ladies & Gents: MOTU 24i

Ladies & Gents: You've got to ask the question. In this age of 24Bit everything what is the 'self annointed' leader of Hard Disk recording systems thinking? Their 'new' 1622 interface is 16 input, 20 bit. *AND* takes up an entire Mix Core or Farm to connect. While the rest of the 'so called' Native entreprenuers have a 24 input , 24Bit start to finish interface which will in all likely hood sell for less than a 1622.
WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!? These so called 'leaders in Hard Disk based Mixing and Recording systems' ?????
Old 10-26-1999, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Ladies & Gents: MOTU 24i

What Were They Thinking? I think it's pretty obvious. LETS NOT DO ANYTHING THAT WILL HURT SALES OF 888/24'S! It is pretty ridiculous that they can't make it more user specific with their interfaces. If one needs 16 inputs and not many outputs then why not make that box and make it 24 bit. How about an interface with just Digital ins and outs? My only solution for that one is to find an older 20 bit 888 or pay for converters that I will not use. Digi has the development money and personel to make all these things and more a reality. Unfortunately they have never manufactured a product that would hurt the sales of their most expensive products. I'm sure we will see that 1622/24 bit unit shortly after they release an 888/24bit96K interface. Kinda Stupid don't you think.
My Two Cents
Kenny Meriedeth
Melted Media Music
Old 10-27-1999, 12:24 AM

The 1622 is aimed at integrating keyboard modules, keyboards, drum machines, samplers and the like directly into Pro Tools. Many of these devices are 16 bit anyway.

The advantage is that several gain stages, routing, patch bays, etc. are potentially bypassed (by eliminating an external mixer, cables, etc.) and everything is totally integrated into the Pro Tools environment directly. This alone can potentially increase the sound quality of these devices.

The 1622 is not meant to replace any of the existing I/O's (888/24, 882/20, etc.) it is meant to be a viable option to get more inputs, and therefore devices, into Pro Tools that may not need the quality of 24 bit converters.

The fact that it takes up a whole Mix card is consistent with any of the Digidesign (or AD-8000 for that matter) I/O's. The cards can only handle 16 channels of I/O whether it's in the form of two 888's, an 888 and 882, an Adat Bridge and a "Y" cable, etc., etc.

The cool thing is that you don't need to use a "Y" cable and an additional I/O cable with the 1622. It's connected with a new single cable that handles all 16 channels of I/O.

Jon
Old 10-27-1999, 06:48 AM

Digi is the leader because they have built an enormous infrastructure of 3rd party plug ins and peripherals that intgrate directly into their fantastic software.

They can afford NOT to compete feature to feature with MOTU for this very reason. Their assets as a company go far beyond just what they sell-- it exists in this infrastructure that no other company has a chance to break up.

So you can't compare MOTU and Digi's input interfaces and their respective price points-- it's irrelevant.
Old 10-27-1999, 08:12 AM

I think you miss the point. MOTU could be considered 'irrelevent' by you and Digidesign. We use them as an apt example of what the market is offering today.
We are sorry that you are satisfied with a 20bit 16I/O product. It is exactly your kind of thinking that allows Digidesign to provide 2 - 3 year old technology for state of the art prices.
To say that, synths are 16 bit anyway so why bother with 24bit is just too naive to comment on.
It is thinking just like yours that in the end will run Digidesign into the ground because believe it or not Digidesign MUST compete in the marketplace. Oh, and on your other point, in terms of numbers, Digidesigns capitalization is quite a bit smaller than other manufacturers. We could go on ad nauseum about this, but in summary,
this is just another marketing ploy to as you say preserve the market for 888/24 and to increase the number of Farm cards sold.
If a manufacturer today comes out with anything less than a 24 bit product, all things considered, they are just trying to fool their customers and public. In all fairness, it is bordering on contempt.

Old 10-27-1999, 09:32 AM

I think you are missing the point.

I would never buy MOTU gear because they don't have the infrastructure and support that Digi has.

It sucks that Digi has a 20 bit interface, blah blah blah. I don't care. I buy Digi products for different reasons than the fact that they are putting out interfaces with "4 bits" less than the competition. What, am I going to switch?

And you should also consider the fact that bit depths are so arbitrary-- Digi's "24 bit" 001 sounds worse than their 20 bit 882. And I paid $1000 for a 2 channel Apogee "24 bit" converter, and damn, you can hear the difference.

So don't get so hung up on which bit is better than Digi's bit, cause the fact is, MOTU's bits bite.
Old 10-27-1999, 09:42 AM

O..Oh...I feel a bit of a Ted Rackley coming on.......

Old 10-27-1999, 10:00 AM

I know, Ted must be here in spirit, even if he doesn't post.