Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 PM

Default recording race cars

Hi all, ive just searched for a while on this site but cant find the answer.

Im wanting to record race cars.., real ones.

is anyone aware of how the mics are set up and what they might be? Im not wanting to blow a mic !!

theres a number of elements i know, but im more concerned with how they might be rigged in/around the car.

any help is great and many thanks in advance!

Manis

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-02-2009, 02:21 AM

Default Re: recording race cars

As with anything chuffing loud, dynamic mics are your friends

I am sure Audio Media ran an article on Chris Munro and James Bond car recording within the last year. Also there was another article on some game sound design company that specialize in this field in the UK., Have a search.

let us know how you get on

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-06-2009, 11:45 PM

sorry i got back so late, i forgot to check the 'inform me via mail' box.

ill check those out and see what i come up with.

i would have thought of dynamics mics. I came up with one on near the engine block, one near the tail pipe and ont INT. That was before i posted the original post.

ill look further into it.

cheers

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-07-2009, 10:45 AM

If you are recording at a real race I've found that you need many different perspectives to get enough material to make it all work. Unless you have press clearance there are few places you can really close to the cars and there will be a lot of other people there too whose voices etc will prevent you from getting long clean ins and aways. See if you can go through channels and get to the track on a practice or non-race day where you can roam around without
other people in the way and get a lot of different perspectives--esp one car vs a group, various turns, in and out of pits, etc.. Close up the dynamic idea is good, but a shotgun (stereo even) will be your friend in trying to get sounds that are like what a person attending a race might hear. Another great thing to do, if you have the connections to the car people, is to rig a car with a recorder and mic(s) to get the driver's perspective etc.. This is a trial and error process and the levels are very high, but the results can be spectacular.

Philip Perkins
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
The Cargo Cult

turn off the HDD in your recorder before mounting it in a race vehicle. use CF or similar.

use dynamics if you really think your condensers will not handle the level but better to get hold of some robust condensers - the little DPAs maybe.

and get a roll of the good gaffer tape!
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks Phil can do you mind explaining this, just to clarify bu 'perspective'.., do you mean, video or are you talking sound here.

'Another great thing to do, if you have the connections to the car people, is to rig a car with a recorder and mic(s) to get the driver's perspective etc.. This is a trial and error process and the levels are very high, but the results can be spectacular.'

some great tips, many thanks. I can get as close to the car as needed if I get the gig??

cheers.

PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 09-07-2009, 05:24 PM

+1 for doing it on a practice day if possible. Or better yet, at the cars local test track when you have the track more or less to yourselves.

Even if you are allowed into the paddock on a race day, the sheer volume of the other cars revving is going to encroach on your recordings (I damn near had my eardrum blown by Stirling Moss a few weeks back, and he was three cars down the line).

The other problem with race days is that when you try to get any perspectives and bys, there's invariably some nimrods on the Tannoy, waffling on about nothing that helps your recordings - or the constant stream of helicopters either filming the race or ferrying the bigwigs about.