How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 12-05-2020, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Only hearing music out of the left headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstar View Post
Hi I am also having this problem but have followed these instructions. I have a feeling it is something to do with my audio interface or settings on pro tools? I am only hearing through left head phones, even a stereo track i imported.

I am using audio kontrol 1. Could it be that my cable for connecting to my computer is for a printer and not strictly audio cable? Otherwise my cable for my mic came with it. It is rode.

Thanks for any help.
Assuming you are using a USB cable, any USB cable should be fine(its carrying data, not analog audio). Its more likely either a software setup problem(the software that comes with Kontrol 1) or a connection mistake. Some folks get confused on TRS jacks. These jacks are used for headphones, AND for balanced inputs/outputs. With a headphone jack its a stereo signal but for a line input/output, its mono and balanced.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-13-2020, 06:55 AM

Thanks so much for this. Ok so the TRS jack business - i just looked up what this means and looks like need TRRRS for balanced stereo output. The headphones lead have 1/8inch pin so i'm using a converter to 3/4inch for the audio kontrol interface. The jack converter has 3 bands on it. I think that means it's TRRRS. Is this right? Is this what I need?

If it's to do with the software for the audio kontrol 1, any advice on how to access or cofigure that is much appreciated.
Pro Tools version: Pro tools first
Amount of Memory installed: 32GB
Old 12-13-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstar View Post
Thanks so much for this. Ok so the TRS jack business - i just looked up what this means and looks like need TRRRS for balanced stereo output. The headphones lead have 1/8inch pin so i'm using a converter to 3/4inch for the audio kontrol interface. The jack converter has 3 bands on it. I think that means it's TRRRS. Is this right? Is this what I need?

If it's to do with the software for the audio kontrol 1, any advice on how to access or cofigure that is much appreciated.
To the best of my knowledge, the mini TRRS is only found on tablets and phones. I know of no interface that uses that connection. Back to TRS: for headphones, it acts as stereo, with left on the T(tip), right on the R(ring) and sleeve is the - side of both signals. With balanced inputs and outputs, the Tip is signal +. the Ring is signal - and the Sleeve is ground/shield. Look at your mini>quarter inch adapter as maybe it only has Tip and Sleeve(in which case, its just the wrong adapter). It should look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NANYI-Female-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave