Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 10:33 PM

Default PTF Sound problems

Hi, I've read through this portion of the forum but didn't see my specific problem addressed. My computer monitor is my 55" LG TV connected via HDMI. I don't have a separate sound card. OS is actually Windows 10 Enterprise. I'm using a Zoom G5 as interface, which also allows me to use those effects. I'm new to Pro Tools First but have some experience with Amplitube (3 and 4) and Reaper. Must admit, I've watched many videos and read many instructions for PTF, sending signals and setting up chains is way over my old head. I'm just trying to get a single track with guitar working for now. :)

I'm just recording my own versions of song for personal enjoyment which I don't share with anyone. While Amplitube does that fairly well, the tones it creates are nothing like how they should sound. I'm hoping PT(F) will do a better job.

Also, just FYI, I'm on a disability pension so buying more hardware/software isn't an option. Either I get this to work with what I have, or not.

I build my own computers (was a system builder for 15 years, Windows platforms only).

SiSoftware Sandra

ID
Host Name : DESKTOP-2DUEMG5
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : GigaByte H97-HD3
Serial Number : To be fille***********
Chassis : GigaByte Desktop
Mainboard : GigaByte H97-HD3
Serial Number : To be fille***********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) F8 09/18/2015
Intel vPro : 9.1.25.1005
Total Memory : 24GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz (4C 3.7GHz/3.9GHz, 3.5GHz IMC, 4x 256kB L2, 6MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1150

Chipset
Memory Controller : Gigabyte Core (Haswell) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 12GB DIMM DDR3 1.6GHz 128-bit

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Corsair CMX8GX3M1A1333C9 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-10700U DDR3-1334 (9-9-9-25 4-33-10-5)
Memory Module : G.Skill F3-12800CL8-4GBXM 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 8GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-25 4-33-10-5)
Memory Module : G.Skill F3-12800CL8-4GBXM 4GB DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : LG TV
(1920x1080, 72.3")
Video Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (6CU 768SP SM5.2 1.11GHz/1.48GHz, 1MB L2, 2GB 6.61GHz 128-bit, PCIe 3.0 x16)

Graphics Processor
CUDA : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (768SP 6C 1.11GHz/1.48GHz, 1MB L2, 2GB 6.61GHz 128-bit)
OpenCL : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (768SP 6C 1.11GHz/1.48GHz, 96kB L2, 2GB 6.61GHz 128-bit)
D3D 11 : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (768SP 6C 1.11GHz/1.48GHz, 1MB L2, 2GB 6.61GHz 128-bit)
OpenGL : GeForce GTX 950/PCIe/SSE2 (2GB)

Storage Devices
Corsair Force 3 SSD (240GB, SATA600, SSD) : 224GB (C:) (H:)
WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm) : 2TB (D:)
WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 (3TB, SATA600, 3.5") : 3TB (G:) (I:)
DRW-24D3ST (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) : N/A (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 223GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Corsair Force 3 SSD (240GB, SATA600, SSD)
Data (D:) : 2TB (NTFS, 4kB) @ WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0 (2TB, SATA600, 3.5", 7200rpm)
TV (G:) : 1TB (NTFS, 4kB) @ WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 (3TB, SATA600, 3.5")
FLAC (I:) : 1TB (NTFS, 4kB) @ WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0 (3TB, SATA600, 3.5")
System (H:) : 100MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Corsair Force 3 SSD (240GB, SATA600, SSD)
Hard Disk : 450MB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Corsair Force 3 SSD (240GB, SATA600, SSD)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ DRW-24D3ST (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller #1 : Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family H97 Controller
LPC Legacy Controller #1 : T2 86-20
Audio Device : Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller
Audio Device : nVidia High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Codec : nVidia 0072
Disk Controller : Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
USB Controller #1 : Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Controller
USB Controller #2 : Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #2
USB Controller #3 : Gigabyte 9 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI Controller #1
SMBus/i2c Controller #1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft Print To PDF (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Canon MG3500 series Printer XPS (Colour)
Printer : Canon MG3500 series Printer (Colour)
Printer : Canon MG3500 series Printer (Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet, 1Gbps)
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) (Ethernet)
Network Adapter : TAP-Windows Adapter V9 (Ethernet)
Network Adapter : TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9 (Ethernet)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 10.0.14393
Platform Compliance : x64

I start a new blank session in dashboard. The G5 uses Asio v2.01 drivers by default, but if I use them PTF crashes with "either not installed or used by another program". That happens with and without Zoom Edit & Share software open. So I've downloaded and configured Asio4All v2.2 for the G5 which works - to some extent. My playback devices are set to the TV (via HDMI), including the G5's. My recording device is the G5 (when turned on and connected via USB) and set to use LG TV as output. This all works perfectly until I start up PTF.

Problems:

1) If I create an Instrument track with the G5 selected as both input and output, my guitar is immediately recognized by PTF, the green activity bar works. I can hear my guitar through the TV correctly. But after arming both records and starting play, it doesn't record anything. The recording starts and stops as expected but there's nothing in it.

2) If I create an Audio track with G5 selected as both input and output, again the guitar is recognized by PTF, the green activity bar works after arming the device recorder, and after arming the master recorder. But before and after arming, I cannot hear the guitar through TV. I can hear it via the amp and headphones only (connected to G5). It records correctly but, even when playing back via PTF the sound only comes from my G5 (amp and headphones) not through the TV. This is a problem because clicker and all other PTF sounds go through the TV as expected. It's difficult to set separate volumes so that I can hear guitar along with other PTF instruments and effects.

3) If I create from template, all PTF instruments and effects work through the TV, but setting up either guitar (rhythm or solo) with G5 as input and output, the guitars still cannot be heard through the TV, only through the amp and headphones.

These are mind blowing as Amplitube and Reaper have always worked well with these settings and both versions of Asio drivers.

Am I missing something simple here? Thanks for taking the time to read through this and respond. :)
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 AM

Default Re: PTF Sound problems

This sounds like some basic setup problems, so hopefully we can get you on your way.

First of all, since your interface already has a ASIO driver, so you do not need ASIO4ALL and should uninstall it.

The problem most run into on Windows is that by default, Windows will use your audio interface as a Windows sound device. As long as it is doing this, PT can not take exclusive access of the device and will display the error you are seeing. To remedy this, you need to go into your Windows sound settings and mark you audio interface as do not use in both record and playback settings.

Once set to do not use, reboot your PC.

Now launch Pro Tools and hold down the N key while it is loading, which will force a hardware refresh and display the playback engine settings. Select your audio interface in playback settings.

Now one in PT, go to Settings-> I/O. In the IO settings, select the input tab and press the default button. Do the same for the output tab.

At this point, your IO should be set up properly and you can create a new session. You most likely wont't have to mess with the output setting for the track, but will need to choose the correct input.

Hope that helps.

System Details
Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 AM

Thanks for your reply.

So I found the "hidden" menus to never use this device for the Zoom G5 in playback and recording of Windows 10, disabled it on both which removed it from menus completely.

Then I uninstalled Asio4All, reinstalled Asio G Series 2.1.1E (default driver for Zoom G5). I rebooted, started Zoom G5, started PTF holding down the N key. It went straight to the session creation window, didn't display playback engine settings. I restarted it holding N key 3 times, every time went straight to sessions screen.

So I created a blank session. There is no Input tab.

I went to Setup/Hardware. It's set to ReaRoute configuration.
Sample Format: 32 bit interger
Asio Input channels: 16
Asio Output channels: 16
Nothing else is listed as an option. I hit OK.

Then I go to Setup, Playback Engine.
It's set to Playback Engine: ReaRoute Asio (64)
Default Output: ReaRouteClient =>REAPER1-2.

If I change the Playback Engine to Zoom G Series Asio, it reloads a blank screen with this error:

Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 222437\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 822.

I click OK and it reloads the blank screen, it saved the Zoom G Series Asio as Playback Engine.

I open Default Output and it doesn't have an option for Zoom G Series Asio. Only has ReaRoute Client=>REAPER1-2 through REAPER15-16.
Sample Rate is 44.1kHz.
I click OK and get error:

Pro Tools could not set your audio device to the correct sample rate. Please close all other audio applications and make sure this device is not selected as the default playback or recording device in the "Sound and Audio Devices" control panel. And it closes.

Of course if I leave those default (ReaRoute) settings and add an audio track, there are no options for G Series Asio in either input or output.

This is why I installed Asio4All. At least the Zoom G5 was showing for both input and output with that driver. I don't think PTF works with the default Asio G Series v2.0.1e driver.

I'm out of ideas. Reinstall the Asio4All and see if disabling the G5 in Windows playback and recording fixed the problem?

Thanks again. :)
Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 AM

So I reinstalled Asio4All and back to where I started. Input and output recognize the Zoom G5 and it will record on audio tracks. But I still can only hear guitars through amp or headphones, not through HDMI. Removing it from Windows playback and recording devices made no difference in that regard.

I discovered that I can also send PTF click sounds to the G5. Haven't tried PTF instruments yet. I could live with all sounds are coming from amp or headphones. But the silly click plays my chosen woodblock through G5, and a midi note through the TV. Separate issue that I'll deal with later.

I don't think PTF likes my G5, but if the choice is between PTF without my precious G5 effects or a different DAW with the G5 - the PTF gets kicked to the curb. :)
Old 07-17-2018, 01:56 AM

I don't understand why my last post had to be reviewed by Admin and was deleted, there was no link in it and nothing inappropriate.

Anyway, I reinstalled Asio4All and back where I started. Removing G5 from Windows 10 playback and recording devices didn't change anything for PTF, but it did allow me to watch YouTube videos with PTF running, which I couldn't do before.

I've discovered that I can send PTF click sounds to the G5 (amp/headphones) so that solves some of the problem. But it plays my desired click sound to the headphones and a separate annoying click note tone to the TV speakers at the same time. Changing click tones on click 1 (to TV) does nothing but changing click 2 sounds works (to G5). Wish I could mute only the click 1 to TV.

Haven't yet tried other PTF instruments to see if they'll send to G5 as well - a problem for another day.

Thanks again for the reply. :)
Old 07-17-2018, 05:55 AM

Do you have Reaper installed on your computer? It looks like it is taking over the ASIO driver which will keep Pro Tools from using it. Pro Tools First doesn't allow the "N" start up trick if I remember correctly. It will work using WASAPI or ASIO once the "Sound" panel settings are setup correctly. In your Sound control panel on both record and playback tabs you should see windows sound (Realtek Audio or equivalent) an HDMI audio output(if your HDMI output is connected)and your audio interface. The selected "default" input or output is for Windows control and should either be deselected completely(no default) or select speakers/headphones and microphone or line in as default devices if you are trying to use your interface as this will leave your interface free to be used by Pro Tools (assuming some other DAW such as Reaper hasn't already co-opted it)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Do you have Reaper installed on your computer? It looks like it is taking over the ASIO driver which will keep Pro Tools from using it.
Thanks for your reply.

I believe I had a trial version of Reaper on my PC years ago, but I can't find any trace of it now. Nothing listed in program files or x86 or program data.

That got me thinking maybe something in registry was still diverting Asio driver to Reaper. I uninstalled Asio G-Series driver, ran ccleaner, rebooted, and reinstalled Asio G-Series driver.

Now in PFT there is no option under Setup for Hardware.

Playback Engine defaults to Windows Audio Device. The only other option is Zoom G-Series Asio but when I try to load it I'm still getting error:

Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 222437\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 822.

I click OK and then this error pops up:

Could not complete the Playback Engine command because Access violation occurred, unable to read location: 0x0000000000000000

(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.)

The default Input Device is set to "none" and no other options.

And the only options under Output Device are LGTV (Nvidia High Definition Audio) and Realtek Digital Output (which isn't connected).
Old 07-17-2018, 12:28 PM

I still think you may have problems in your Windows Sound Control Panel, but I don't know anything about the Zoom so you may have to do some research on using that device with Pro Tools, since if it can be used with PT at all it should be recognized in PTF also. So when you say there is "no default input device" are we talking about in PTF or in C: Control Panels>Sound>Recording tab ? The two important tabs in Windows, control panels, sound are the Playback and Recording tabs. There should be bare minimum of Microphone and Line In in the Recording tab and if the ASIO is working and recognizing the Zoom it should be there also, so are you saying that none of these are there?
Old 07-17-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
I still think you may have problems in your Windows Sound Control Panel, but I don't know anything about the Zoom so you may have to do some research on using that device with Pro Tools, since if it can be used with PT at all it should be recognized in PTF also. So when you say there is "no default input device" are we talking about in PTF or in C: Control Panels>Sound>Recording tab ? The two important tabs in Windows, control panels, sound are the Playback and Recording tabs. There should be bare minimum of Microphone and Line In in the Recording tab and if the ASIO is working and recognizing the Zoom it should be there also, so are you saying that none of these are there?
Thanks again for your reply. I'll try to explain again.

I followed Junkgear's advice to disable the G5 in Windows sound options. When I clicked "never use this device" in the Windows sound options windows, it disappeared from both windows. Now the default Windows Playback device is LG TV (via HDMI on Nvidia GTX 950 graphics card). The default recording device has 2 options, Realtek microphone or Realtek Line In - that's my motherboard inputs, neither is selected because neither is connected (no mic).

The "no input" is in PTF, under Setup/Hardware - and for the input on audio tracks, with the G-Series Asio drivers only installed. Once I uninstalled and reinstalled the G-Series drivers, the Setup/Hardware was no longer present (so at least all the ReaRoute are gone too).

Weird: The G-Series Asio drivers do show on Setup/Playback Engine in PTF. However, selecting them gives the errors I've mentioned.

Weirder: If I install the Asio4All v2.2 drivers they show everywhere in PTF as they should, Settings/Hardware is back with that option, Setup/Playback Engine has that option, and input and output for audio tracks have that option. I get no errors when loading them. After arming, I can see both the audio track and master recording meters working, and it records correctly. But the guitar audio track sound output is sent back to the G5 (amp/headphones) only, while 1 of the 2 click sounds and all other PFT instruments are being sent to the TV speakers.

Should the Playback Engine and/or track outputs be set to buses or something other than the Asio4All?

Sorry if this is confusing, it's confusing me! Everything just worked as it is on the other DAWs I've experimented with.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Re-enable the G5. It should be in the sound panel as enabled but not default. Remember to reenable in both Playback and Record , set default record device to Line in so that it wont try to take over the G5