Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Forum mod & Forum tech support

Alright, it's been talked in the past few weeks of the plan in the embrional idea phase from avid to have people (user) of the forum become more of an officious tech support on this forum. I think it's a great idea but I'm going to push this a bit further.

This forum actually need some forum moderators. Not to be confused with the idea that was mentioned by digitechsprt about having moderators that would do some tech support on an officious level. I wouldn't mix the two at all in this case.

The forum moderators should have the necessary leeways to edit, delete and administrate posts, and ban users if necessary if they break the forum rules. There might be some but I haven't seen any in the time I've been here and a lot of posts in the past few weeks have became flame wars, which should never happen on this forum. I'm sorry but as a customer of Avid and a user of this forum, I deplore the fact that we see too often the wtf... avid scks.. etc childish attitude. Whether or not they are paying customers, they should not be left to post here if they show this attitude. This is not gearslutz after all or even youtube, there are many professionals that comes here and a certain level of decorum should be expected.

Then there would be what was mention in the idea of digitchsuprt (sorry mate I keep mispelling your sig) The Forum tech support. These would be the persons that applied, got trained, and got retained after the training to offer a forum base tech support on the part of avid in a more officious manner. Whether they are paid, or get discounts on avid products that's not something to be discussed here. But the two should not be confused or merged into one group.

Both functions have complete different functions and responsibilities, and should not be mixed together.

Anyhow couldn't find a better place to post this than here, and I hope it will bring some needed changes to make this forum even better than it is now.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Forum mod & Forum tech support

From my vantage point, this is what exists right now. The moderators are a bit lenient on the flame wars as they don't want to be too heavy handed(and I like the fact that they let people vent on occasion). Most of those types either get it out of their system and come to their senses, or they leave and go use some other DAW(which we sometimes encourage) And the moderators absolutely have banned users and remove posts(many at my request, since I don't need a cell phone deal, OR new sneakers)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Avid

We're definitely considering some changes to the DUC and have had several discussions about it already.

You'll probably start seeing some changes in the not-too-distant future, especially 'moderation' of posts that do not provide enough info (where they 'don't see' the Help Us Help You' thread...).

In other words - we hear ya' and there will be changes coming...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 AM

How about more aggressively deleting or merging duplicate posts. If there has been no reply delete all the duplicates PM/email the user to repost to where they think it should go.

There are some vBulletin add-ons that try to automatically block duplicate posts.

Darryl
Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
We're definitely considering some changes to the DUC and have had several discussions about it already.

You'll probably start seeing some changes in the not-too-distant future, especially 'moderation' of posts that do not provide enough info (where they 'don't see' the Help Us Help You' thread...).

In other words - we hear ya' and there will be changes coming...
Thumb up!

Wave-T.com
Old 02-28-2011, 12:29 PM

I will like that as well, but remember, some of the issues here are just stupidity, and as soon as Avid makes the DUC idiot-proof, someone will invent a better idiot

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
someone will invent a better idiot
are you trying to make me adopt a new sig?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-28-2011, 01:49 PM

That is definitely signature material.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM

We need skins, custom sigs, colors, and avatars too, as well as a place to list our studio/system specs without using signature space. This board feels so late '90s.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM

This just made me think of something... if some of us get elevated to moderator or "resident tech support" status I suppose under our username it might say something like "HOBO tech support" or "Supreme Anti-Masterduk"

(I suppose I just blew my chance at either of these positions.... )