Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Sneak Peek at Cloud collab stuff.

I still think it's "selling the dream".

Avid in the middle of everything you do in Protools?
Monetizing all your sessions... to profit who?

It's a bold move for sure... gotta give them that.
Maybe in the long run it will work out???
Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 AM

I think these features are really great. Can't wait to see them in action. So the question I still have is, how long is Coming Soon?

A couple of other questions I have:

1.) Can you lock a track or tracks that you don't want your collaboration buddy to touch?

2.) New Eleven Rack plugin seems cool. If I recall there was a free version and a paid version. If you already own the paid version from 10, 11 - is this a free upgrade.

3.) Is cloud storage space included with my PT subscription? What are the limits (10 GB, 20 GB, 30 GB?). Any additional bandwidth charges?

4.) What is the infrastructure? If hundred's of users are collaborating, will the system bog down?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 04-10-2015, 03:11 PM

It could be nice if the cloud collaboration actually goes somewhere.
I'm guessing the target market are people starting out in music or in video.

I don't know if the old timers will really be into it, but maybe the generation coming up today.
The big problem will be the pricing.

If people think they're being taken advantage of, they'll walk.
And if they go for the subscription, it would be very easy to just say forget it.

People today are just being squeezed... squeezed too hard.
Who has the money?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:49 PM

I signed up today. Got an email shortly thereafter that said I'm on the list.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Some technical questions arose from watching the video. At right around the 9 minute mark, Pro Tools downloads what looks like about 3 long audio files in about less than a second. That made me concerned about this demo being representative of the end user experience.

So, I get that a gig LAN connection can handle this, but that's not exactly what they are "demoing" .....from Wisc. to Fla. Is there something I'm missing on how that's actually going to happen in reality? Is the receiver listening to the same quality files as the sender? I imagine they would, and that they would need to be downloaded locally.

A creative interface should not be laggy, or unresponsive, as it would get frustrating and defeat creativity. I'm wondering what the whole experience would look like across the internet, in a real scenario. Somehow, a lot of data will need to get passed back and forth one way or another.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
Some technical questions arose from watching the video. At right around the 9 minute mark, Pro Tools downloads what looks like about 3 long audio files in about less than a second. That made me concerned about this demo being representative of the end user experience.

So, I get that a gig LAN connection can handle this, but that's not exactly what they are "demoing" .....from Wisc. to Fla. Is there something I'm missing on how that's actually going to happen in reality? Is the receiver listening to the same quality files as the sender? I imagine they would, and that they would need to be downloaded locally.

A creative interface should not be laggy, or unresponsive, as it would get frustrating and defeat creativity. I'm wondering what the whole experience would look like across the internet, in a real scenario. Somehow, a lot of data will need to get passed back and forth one way or another.
Indeed. I gave up watching after a while, it seemed so hopelessly artificial, with no discussion of the technicalities or even different applications of the emerging tech, just a puff piece with non-real world parameters.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-11-2015, 06:05 AM

The video is hard to watch... like watching a reality TV show.
Did you see how they snuck in the Avid marketplace to rent plugs for a week or a month.

So they took a nice guitar/vocal and turned it into a complete production where you might as well trash the vocal and put in a rap.

In other words, they turned it in stock music.
Can you imagine all the arguments?

You can see the direction Avid is going in.
Keep the user online. Buy or rent plug-ins. Buy more session space.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Indeed. I gave up watching after a while, it seemed so hopelessly artificial, with no discussion of the technicalities or even different applications of the emerging tech, just a puff piece with non-real world parameters.
Like I've written before here these demos are not even close to real-world scenarios. Even if they are going out via ethernet to an isp and back in unless they're on different isp's then the path is nothing more than a loop-around at the isp in use. I highly doubt where these demos were shot they had different isp's. Put each side on different isp's with each side truly apart in one building on the East Coast and the other in a building on the West coast with multiple hops through servers and let's see what happens. Also let's see what happens when you start to get dropouts in the network and the error correction (if any) can keep up.

QAPLA!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:14 PM

There was this one too:

http://apps.avid.com/webinars/2014/a...ar/player.html
Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the links...

As a songwriter, the marketplace interests me, but what about the fine print in the licensing agreement. Does Avid get a cut from every sale?

I was thinking of trying Pro Tools/First, but I'm guessing I'll have to upgrade to 12 to get access to the marketplace?