Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-28-2010, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Any Network Authenticated Users?

Laki, can you shed some light on how you got this far?
What are the steps you took?

A "Setting up Network Home Accounts for Dummies" would be really appreciated on this forum!

Please keep us informed on how you succeed in getting PT up and running!
Keeping my fingers crossed!

-matts
Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 PM

Hey Matt,

I will do that as soon as I get it working properly.

PHD's seems like it is the way to go at the moment. That's the only way I could get PT to boot.

Now the problem that I am having is PT is very Jerky and slow. Almost like when you're trying to work while there's a background task happening. In this case PT does not have any Tasks.

Ray, is there any way that I could confirm your PHD settings. As far as what files are and aren't being synchronized.

-L
Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM

FWIW from the "what's fixed" section of Pro Tools 8.0.3cs2:

Quote:
Fixed: Pro Tools wouldn't launch on Macs configured for Open Directory or Network Home Directories (Item #3123)
On Mac systems configured for Network Home Directories (i.e. Open Directory), Pro Tools would post "Pro Tools has unexpectedly quit" error at launch. This has been resolved.
Does this make a difference?

Ray, Steve, Laki and all you others already in the know:

Are you using network home directories or portable home directories?
Or did I miss something?

-matts
Old 05-31-2010, 03:46 AM

I am running 8.0.3 CS2 and was still getting crashes when running Network home folders. after switching to Phd I was able to launch PT but performance took a HUGE hit. Unusable.

Didn't get a chance to tinker today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 AM

Got to play today. Made a new user account and that seemed to fix the problems I was having. I will thoroughly test tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:21 AM

portable Home Directories here. Some of the authorizations don't work with Network home accounts. The sync takes long, but it's worth it.

Last edited by FajitaTone; 06-01-2010 at 07:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Sorry I haven't been responding to the thread, been busy last two week. To answer most questions, here's what we have going - all users are network based, via Open Directory on a large AFP share point. Pro Tools is resident on all local machines. My few PT 8.03 are local only, that version not stable enough for us at this point. You will have to rollback to v8.0 to use OD accounts. Workstations are bound to OD server, setup through Directory Utility. This allows workstation preferences to be set by the admin, to keep users from going where they shouldn't. You'll run into random permission nags with software below v8.0, but nothing that will keep it from working. I keep a workstation clone backup .dmg, which makes rebuilding machines a snap. Been running this configuration for almost 5 years, without any major issues. Lost 1 raid drive, but was quickly rebuilt. PT v8.0 seems more stable than v7.4, so once bugs are fixed in v8.03, should make a more stable networkable platform. I also employ Apple Remote Desktop to help out mixers during the day, as well as software updates, and special Unix scripts I use in the operation. I'm looking into going with a shared array for PT's, similar to Avid's Unity.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Our systems have Protools Local, and we use local Audio drives, Video is on an X-SAN volume, one volume unique to each PT rig via FibreChannel. We backup to a server volume all our work via push/pull. We use Folder Synchronizer to make that operation seamless. User accounts are portable home directories, that get copied or synchronized to the workstation that you log in to. Clients are all Leopard 10.5.8 and the Server is Snow Leopard 10.6. Pro Tools is version 8.0.3 no cs (for now) and all systems have MojoSDI for video. All are HD2 with Digital 192, Sync I/O and Euphonix MC Control. (6 systems)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 PM

PT Rigs are all running Leopard 10.5.8. ProTools 8.0.3 and 8.0.3cs2
Our Server is running 10.5.6.

Pure network accounts wont work with 8.0.3. PHD's is the way to go. If you don't put huge files on your desktop or documents folders, syncing takes about 30 seconds on log in/out.

I do seem to get access issues with some drives, but once I set the right permissions, everything is cool.

Hey Steve. Do you run ARD locally on your machine or do you have it installed on your server and use it via screen sharing. I know it seems like a silly question but Apple want you to buy another license for ARD is you want to use the server as a Task server.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:47 AM

chicken of the VNC.