Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Default Anyone Using A System Entirely Based Around SSDs Yet?

Just curious. I ordered two more SSDs (One for my Laptop System 256GB, and one for Streaming Samples for my desktop). I already use an MTRON 16GB Express Card SSD on the Express Card port of my Lenovo X200 Tablet Multitouch Laptop for BOTH Audio AND Streaming Samples. This SSD is the thing of Mircales, never hiccuping and loading heavy sessions with lots of VIs within 6 second tops (AMAZING).

I'm curious to know what success people are having running SSD based systems. For me, this addition made Pro-Tools a JOY to use in every which way, in the likes which I've never exprienced before. I wouldn't be lying if I said all of my hardware synths (etc) are now catching dust because this laptop setup is running SILKY SMOOTH.
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Anyone Using A System Entirely Based Around SSDs Yet?

ahhh, for me the price point for what you get has not come down far enough to justify setting up a system with ONLY SSDs.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
I'm curious to know what success people are having running SSD based systems. For me, this addition made Pro-Tools a JOY to use in every which way, in the likes which I've never exprienced before. I wouldn't be lying if I said all of my hardware synths (etc) are now catching dust because this laptop setup is running SILKY SMOOTH.
I'll probably take the SSD plunge in January myself. I'll be pushing these pretty hard so my backup procedure will get revamped. I saw a demo by Intel and MS launching W7 in about 11 seconds from an SSD. Pretty impressive. MS has been promising the quick "appliance like" power up for about 11 years now. Keep us posted on your SSD use.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 PM

can you mount them internally in a laptop an run the OS and Audio on just one, or do you still need to purchase two and write to an external SSD?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
can you mount them internally in a laptop an run the OS and Audio on just one, or do you still need to purchase two and write to an external SSD?
Good question, I wonder if anyone has tried yet.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 AM

well since SSD's have virtually 0 access time latency(3.5 7200 drives are around 4-5ms and SSDs are around 0.01ms)... using the same drive or audio and System wouldn't really be that big of a deal. Also.. you arent supposed to defrag SSD's... So the problem of your system drive getting all messed up from recording probably wouldn't be an issue either. BUT... SSD's as of right NOW significantly slower as time goes on as the drive uses its algorithm to wear the chip evenly(but even after that it should be fastr then a 7200).

I would say.. on a laptop use it for all 3 (system, plugins/samples, and audio) on a desktop.. use it for System and plugin/samples and then have a separate regular drive for recording audio.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 AM

If I had a drive large enough, I totally would! With the newer drives supposedly utilizing data transfer rates in the 230MB/s+ range, it would MAYBE make sense to assume that ONE drive could handle all three types of data. At least with just AUDIO and SAMPLES, this one drive, only 16GB is handling it w/o issue...And this is a FIRST GENERATION SSD Express Card!
Pro-Tools 12
2.5GHz i7 Quad Core
Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 AM

SSD for the OS drive in a Laptop should really be standard by now. All you need is about 20GB max. then whatever you can afford for file storage. My little netbook is that way, boots very fast. For a PC with hard usage Id wait a bit.
But surely PT on a laptop while be a simple affair as soon as Laptops have separate internal drives as standard.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM

My own semi-educated guess is that a second hard drive will still be a necessity, and it's a good safe guard: if (when??) the system drive self destructs, you don't lose your sessions.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
My own semi-educated guess is that a second hard drive will still be a necessity, and it's a good safe guard: if (when??) the system drive self destructs, you don't lose your sessions.
a backup drive will still be prudent, maybe even more so than with the spinners.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com