Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Default 11r Standalone XLR Noise/fizz, hum

First post. I recieved my 11r a few days ago. The first two days I basically played it about 5 hours at my office. At first, I used it with studio quality headphones as a standalone device. I was truely amazed at the tone I was getting. I then installed Pro Tools and record a few bits. Nice device. I have a Digitech GSP1101 and after a few hours on the 11r I was sold. Modeling just seemed a little more alive on the 11r.

The weekend I brought the device home to try to integrate it with my studio monitors expecting to hear the same (maybe a little different) sound through my Behringer Truth 2031's. Unfortunately what I hear is not so clear. Everything is quite (no hum, hiss) until I touch a string, or pick, or play in general. I hear a fizzy sound. It doesn't matter if the volume is low or high on the 11r and my guitar volume has little affect. I use the same monitors occasionally with my GSP (tried it again too) and I never get this sound. To me it sounds like everything is distorted, speaker distortion. Again, this does not happen using the same XLR cables on my GSP and I certainly have not noticed it through my headphones.

Another interesting thing is that it does not seem that I am getting much volume from my monitors. I really haven't turned anything up to far, but when compared to my GSP at low levels, the 11r has to be turned up much louder. Through headphone both are relatively the same volume.

I have not tried to adjust the input signal on my monitors and I have not tried using my 1/4" outs on the 11r. I also haven't touched the presets or the noise gate settings. I do not think it is a ground loop, but I have tried to lift the ground.

All of this except for a few short recordings was done as a standalone with nothing attached to the 11r, just the guitar and the monitors. I have also tried several guitars.

Any Ideas? I think it might be a hardware problem with the 11r.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Re: 11r Standalone XLR Noise/fizz, hum

Aside from the location, what else has changed from the office? Ground? Cables? Speakers? On a power strip? Different sort of carpet? Different guitar? Different presets? Have you played with the True-Z settings at all? I once completely changed the pickups and rewired a guitar only to find out it was a crappy Monster instrument cable....
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM

At this point I am pretty sure it is a problem with the outlet at my house or other noise in the room. I moved the unit back to my office and everything is great. In my house I used an outlet in another room and the noise was greatly reduced. At my office it is clean.

At home I use a Trpplite Isotel which works with my Digitech GSP1101 and my monitors but it isn't helping the 11r. I have tried with or without the Isotel and I have unplugged everything else in the room with no luck. Also, tried multiple guitars, cables, power plug, etc. with no luck.

I have heard that there have been some issues with the jacks on these devices. The problem occurs anytime a cable is in the True Z input with or without the guitar plugged in. The noise goes away when a guitar is plugged in and the volume on the guitar is off.

I have the True Z set to auto.

My next step is to try a power conditioner or hum reducer.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:35 PM

SO i had a brand new APC power backup system for large computer systems and have tried that with no success It has voltage regulation but probably not anything to reduce noise. I also tried to use a adapter with no ground (breifly) but no luck.

I need to mention that this buzz is on the high gain model even several of the patches on the patch site for ac/dc produce the buzz and they are not that high gain. The fenders are pretty good, but the Marshall's mid gain and up are a problem.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 AM

This noise is definately related to the room or outlet I am using I can go to another room in the house and get fairly clean power. I thinking of getting a Furman PL series power conditioner with the SMP Lift technolgy. Do you think this will help?

The system is quite with the guitar unplugged ot the volume down.