Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Amp/cab spillover

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Just found this thread, figured I'd give it a bump because I'd been looking for this information (switching times) for a sec.

I really hope the 11r guys can speed up the switching on it. The 'dead time' is a real buzzkill sometimes.

Is there any way to cut down on the switching times as it is?
I haven't tried it but supposedly switching presets using a foot controller speeds things up.

I think in this respect the 11R is showing its studio roots over a live usage scenario.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I haven't tried it but supposedly switching presets using a foot controller speeds things up.

I think in this respect the 11R is showing its studio roots over a live usage scenario.
Thanks for the reply. I do use a footswitch - a Rocktron MIDI XChange (not awesome, but it works). I have yet to try a different footswitch but I doubt mine is contributing to the lag.

Anyway, I was hoping that maybe there were certain practices that would minimize the lag.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Thanks for the reply. I do use a footswitch - a Rocktron MIDI XChange (not awesome, but it works). I have yet to try a different footswitch but I doubt mine is contributing to the lag.

Anyway, I was hoping that maybe there were certain practices that would minimize the lag.
For the moment, the only thing to avoid the lag is to create your rythm / lead tones in the same 11R Rig. For instance, rythm tone without delay, and use delay + graphic eq as a boost for your lead tones. If your pedalboard can control CC, you can make a lot of different presets using the same 11R rig ...

Mesa Boogie IIC+ JVK Monster
Eleven Rack
EBMM Petrucci Variax
Dunlop GCB95Q
Ernie Ball Volume pedal VPJR6180
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djemass View Post
For the moment, the only thing to avoid the lag is to create your rythm / lead tones in the same 11R Rig. For instance, rythm tone without delay, and use delay + graphic eq as a boost for your lead tones. If your pedalboard can control CC, you can make a lot of different presets using the same 11R rig ...
That's a good idea, djemass. Unfortunately for derker, the Rocktron MIDI xChange only sends PCs.

You can get a little closer to djemass's suggestion, derker, by using the footswitch/expression jack on the back of the 11R.

At a minimum, you can configure that to do something like kick in an overdrive. You'll need a footswitch, of course.

Alternatively you could use an expression pedal and - configured as a Multi-FX controller - use it to alter up to four parameters at once. For example, at the heel-down position you could turn down gain, midrange and echo and turn up the chorus. At the toe-down position you can boost the gain, midrange and echo and cut the chorus. Or any other combination of four parameters. (Unfortunately, you can't use the Multi-FX to control on/off parameters. That's one of my wish-list items.)

Ultimately, I think you'll be happier with a full-featured MIDI pedalboard. I resisted for a long time plunking down the $400 for a Roland FC-300. Now that I have the FC, I'm kicking myself for not buying it sooner. It took me about 5 minutes to set up individual CC controllers for all the effects in my performance patch. (I only use one patch on the 11R.)

I've barely scratched the surface of what the FC-300 can do. There's a "patch" mode that can send streams of MIDI messages. That'd allow me to set up single stomp switch to make multiple changes, e.g. turn on some FX and others off at the same time.

Do your research. The FC-300 does have one minor limitation affecting use with the Eleven Rack.

There are other alternatives, too. You can't beat the price of the Behringer FBC-1010 (although you'll need the third-party Uno firmware to make it usable). The Rocktron MIDI Mate is a step up from your MIDI xChange, at a reasonable price.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Yeah...I know my controller is garbage but theres not much I can do about it right this second. The MIDI XChange is a hand-me-down I got from a buddy, and it actually serves it's purpose pretty well. I'd love to have a GCP but it's not in the cards for me at the moment.

Regardless, using the CC's is a fine idea, but it's really a workaround that won't work for me. I need to switch from my clean/flange/no gate to the boosted Recto M/tight gate, not really something I can build into one patch and switch a couple blocks on and off.

I've been rehearsing with my 'band' for the past couple weeks now and I've been trying to compensate for the lag by hitting the switch just before I want the switch to happen but it's pretty hard to time it.