Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN

I continue to be amazed that Digi will not change this. Cubase, Audio Audition, STRATA and many other audio editing systems render audio much faster than real time with no issues. This is a complete and utter frustration because time is totally waisted waiting for the bounce to complete.

Will they ever change this?

Brian in Charlotte
www.VoiceOverforyou.com
LE 7, PowerMac G5 Dual
1.5 RAM, Digi 002

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN

Real time bounce is for those of us that use outboard gear during mixdown.

LE and M-powered are really just scaled-down versions of HD, and I can't see non-real time bounce being high on the priority list for HD users.

Maybe in Protools version 8?
Old 02-05-2007, 06:59 PM

HD user here who would love to see faster than real time bounces. I don’t think I have ever used external plugins. I want a software switch to choose between real time and fast as possible bouncing.

In the early days of PT, the bounce to disk was not real time, but as fast as your computer could crunch the digits. When external processing came in vogue, Digi created real time bouncing. It was fun at first to be able to hear the audio as it bounced, but then that led to frustration at the apparent waste of my time.

Hey, some of us have been asking for a keyboard shortcut for bounce to disc since the early days. Digi finally added that one (Thanks Digi!!), so I guess it’s just a matter of time before they add a feature allowing a faster than real time bounce.

And Digi, when you do add this feature, make it a preference to set the default to real time or faster than real time, and then allow for a quick change in the BTD window. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 PM

I look at it as one more chance to listen to the mix. When we all recorded and mixed to tape, it wads all real-time and no one ever complained. We have become an impatient society. My best suggestion is to relax and listen from another perspective. I like to listen from outside the room. You'd be surprised how that can point out mix problems. My music is worth "home cooking" over "fast food". One man's opinion.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM

It's cool listening to the mix one more time, but when the project is not music and 55 minutes long, try explaining to the client why he is being billed for sitting around for almost an hour. REAL PAIN is a euphemism in my book.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Technological advances spawn an evermore efficient society however impatience is a lost perception of the now.

It's like driving a Model T Ford, sure you will eventually arrive at your destination, but a BMW Z4 M Roadster can get you there ever so more efficiently. Is it then that our man with the BMW Z4 M Roadster impatient? I think not, for both have the potential for impatience. The inability to accept the ever present now gives rise to impatience.

Sorry a little off topic but I wanted to share that with you.

filosofem
Old 02-06-2007, 01:44 AM

Yeah, I always wondered why can't we have a "fast-but-lower-quality bounce" option.

EasyB
Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 AM

As one who is new to the real time bounce deal, I must say that I too would like a different,(faster), method of doing it. Listening to it just that last time while it is bouncing down seems pointless IMO as you will have to listen to it again to make sure everything went well during the bounce surely. You can still listen while you cook or outside at anytime you think that it is ready to bounce. Last time I used a different DAW I am pretty sure that it happened as fast as your PC could go. 3 minute song in about 30 secs or something like that. But I still listened to it afterwards to make sure it processed properly.
Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-06-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
But I still listened to it afterwards to make sure it processed properly.
Yep, good point, why double handle the Audio. Your've got to check it before it's sent out ...anyway.

filosofem
Old 02-06-2007, 05:09 AM

WE NEED REAL TIME BOUNCING, OR HOW ELSE WILL YOU KNOW THAT ALL YOUR MATERIAL IS TRANSLATING PROPERLY. WITH SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE, YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR BOUNCED MIXED TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE NO POPS OR OTHER ARTIFACTS THAT WERE NOT PRESENT BEOFRE. BESIDES YOU ARE GOING TO LISTEN TO YOUR MIX AFTER YOU BOUNCE ANYWAYS, WHETHER YOU BOUNCED IN REAL TIME OR FASTER. AS FOR LONG MIXES, TELL YOUR CLIENTS THAT QUALITY CONTROL IS MORE IMPORTANT. WHAT IF YOU USE OTHER PLATFORMS TO BOUNCE FASTER AND YOU PUT IT TO A DISK AND WHEN YOU ARE RIDING HOME YOU NOTICED THAT ONE OF YOUR REVERBS DID NOT TRANSLATE THE WAY YOU WANT, NOW YOUR CLIENT WILL NEED TO SPEND THAT EXTRA MONEY ANYWAYS TO FIX IT WHEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN FIXED BEFORE.

I THINK THAT THERE SHOULD BE AN OPTION INSIDE OF PT TO DO FASTER BOUNCES, BUT I WOULD ONLY USE IT LIKE 1% OF THE TIME, BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT MATERIAL, IF IT GOES ON A DISK WITH MY NAME, I WILL MAKE SURE IT SOUNDS PERFECT.
Closed Thread