Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Need help buying new Mac Pro for PT10 HDX

Thanks for the replies.

The thing is that I HAVE to buy one to be able to put the HDX card in as it won't be possible in my G5.
My question is just to know, in my case (audio post), what is the best Mac Pro for me Quad or 8-core ?

Pascal
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 11-06-2011, 05:20 AM

Im in the exact same situation.
My g5 died 3 weeks ago, and i cant wait until march or whatever date new mac pros might come (not to mention, when they will be compatible).
Been working on an le system with an mbox mini, since then. It keeps on crashing and i Cant input my outboard.
Oh well.

Best wishes
Mikkel
Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 AM

It comes down to the same old question, how much money are you comfortable spending?

nst7 makes a good suggestion to look at a 6 core 3.3ghz Westmere. I have one and it is a very solid machine. It is the fastest clock speed available in a MacPro. Does it run PT faster/better? For me yes, but not as much as I had expected. Whatever the reasons for it, I was shocked at how little improvement I could actually "feel" between G5-dual2.5-PPC running PT8.0.1 and 6-core 3.3-Westemere running PT8.1. The responsiveness during scrubbing and editing was only incremental at best. The most noteable differences were things like faster waveform recalculation and audiosuite processing. YMMV of course, with different drives and video setups.

Is there going to be a difference between 4, 6, 8 cores? How much AAX hardware do you plan to buy? I'm going to continue to rely on hardware as much as I can afford, therefore I don't think I'd feel any difference between a Quad 2.9 and my current 6 core, but I feel better knowing I have more cpu power ready to tap into if I need it.

I have no PT10 experience to give you, sorry. I won't do that switch until my schedule opens up, maybe not this year.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM

If you go with HD Native, which I think makes sense for editors and mixers who don't require more than 256 voices, then you will need the most powerful computer you can afford. My tests indicated that an HD Native system running on the current 12 core Westmere Mac Pro is at least the equivalent of a TDM HD6. That's a $3500 computer, add $350 - $500 for enough RAM to utilize PT 10 RAM cacheing of audio files and another $300 to fill the drive bays with 1TB drives.

If you are planning to go with HDX, you could probably go for the $2500 Mac Pro, because the HDX card will be doing the heavy lifting. Even if you use Native plugins to a high degree, I think a Quad Core Mac Pro will serve you well. Just make sure you buy a new or used computer that is at least a Nehalem or Westmere, word has it that Harpertowns are not compatable with HDX.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deardaddy View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The thing is that I HAVE to buy one to be able to put the HDX card in as it won't be possible in my G5.
My question is just to know, in my case (audio post), what is the best Mac Pro for me Quad or 8-core ?

Pascal
I am not on PT10 HD|X yet... but my thoughts are that for your situation, the HD|X card might be enough for your needs on a Quad core. An 8-Core might future proof you to some extent if your needs grow. With AAX, I imagine that you could get more plugins on an 8-core. So I think the Quad would be fine, but I might get an 8-core to hedge against any future expansion.

I would also get more like 18-24 GIGS of RAM. Yes, the application will only take 4 G now, but RAM cache and OS may need/want more. And once AAX is totally implemented, PT will be 64 bit. (Which to me is another reason to get the 8-core).

If money is super tight, get the Quad. If not, then.....
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your constructive messages. I really appreciate ...
Based what your comments, I tend to do a future proof choice and go for the 8-core westmere as the quad seems to be of the prior generation and not the latest.
This is where I am now.
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command
Old 11-07-2011, 03:21 PM

I had been in the same situation half a year ago, and I decided for a compromise and bought a Quad Nehalem (2011 model). This is a cheaper model, which means, less time needed for return of investment, and I can upgrade earlier, if needed, as the direction of PT and MacPro is hard to predict. It is a bit unclear, what's the best strategy, but if you have to work with your system (as I have), I do not care about "wait and see", but try to find the most reasonable constellation. If the mac gets payed in less time, it gives you the possibility to reevaluate your situation sooner.

my 2c

Matthias

Last edited by matt-o-; 11-08-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM

I just bought a 2009 8 core Nehalem with upgraded ram and video for less then the cost of the stock 2010 quad.

From what i could gather there is not much performance difference between the 2009 and the 2010 quads and a little more difference between the 8 cores ( Nehalem vs. Westmere). Mostly slightly faster clock speeds and different video card options.

Check out these Mac Pro Benchmarks, the were immensely helpful in helping me choose the best one for my needs and budget.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/mac-benchmarks/

The machine is great and will be upgrading to HD Native asap.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Thanks Matt and Ken, your opinions are both very wise.

I was thinking exactly as you do Matt just a few days ago.

I'll check the benchmarks ...
www.standup.be

MacPro 2019 16 Core
PT Ultimate 2021.3.1
HDX 1
D-Command