Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-26-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Who\'s your Favorite Recording Engineer/ Producer?

Hey Everyone,

So who is peoples favorite Mix engineer or producer? Mine is definatily Tom Lord-Alge. I also love Chris Lord-Alge's work, and Andy Wallace? Who are all you other people into?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Who\'s your Favorite Recording Engineer/ Producer?

Well, I guess that my first few are almost too obvious.

1. George Martin. He is responsible for a revolution in the role of producer. He changed it from knob twiddler and/or handler to fellow artist.

2. Alan Parsons. As if manning the boards for "Abbey Road" and "Dark Side of the Moon" wasn't enough, he went on to expand Martin's vision of producer as artist. With "Year of the Cat" he transformed Al Stewart from folkie Donovan wannabe to pop superstar. Running the "Alan Parsons Project" he crafted enough hit records (with a rotating personnel) to be named to several "best male vocalist" lists in the seventies in spite of the fact that he doesn't sing!

3. Phil Ramone. Kind of opposite of the two above, I see him as a guy who "stays out of the artist's way" and just captures performances with skill and grace.

4. Richard Dashut. Battle tested with Fleetwood Mac getting quality while they were falling apart personally. I also love his work with Matthew Sweet.

5. Todd Rundgren. A wizard, a true star.

6. Richard Perry. Mr. Versitale. From soft pop like Streisand or Carly Simon to rockers like Rod Stewart and Harry Nilsson to jazz artists like Johnny Mathis and Manhattan Transfer and even eclectic acts like Captain Beefheart, everyone wanted to work with him.

At one time I would have included Phil Spector on this list, but (and I know that I'm going to get slammed for this) upon further review I don't think that his records were aurally very good. His records sounded great because of great arrangements. All the fame that has gone his way belongs to arranger Jack Nitzsche (IMHO).

My favorite "unsung hero" would be Hugh Murphy. "City to City" by Gerry Rafferty is still one of my top ten favorite headphone albums. I also have to give mad props to Tom Scholtz for creating the "Boston" album in his basement. Whether or not you care for it musically, the sonic quality that he achieved was amazing. And he didn't even have Protools!
Old 05-26-2006, 07:51 PM

BTW, shouldn't this thread be under "General Discussion" instead of "LE on Windows"? I'd love to hear the opinions of the TDM and Mac guys.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Who\'s your Favorite Recording Engineer/ Produc

Ben Grosse, Andy Wallace, Terry Date, Brendan O'Brien, Don Gilmore, Glenn Ballard.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:24 AM

Love Glenn Ballard, hate Brendan OBrien. I talked about how Ramone captures performances and Dashut draws out the best in an artist, I think that OBrien is just the opposite on both accounts. His production seems to often get in the way of the artist instead on enhancing them (just go get a copy of "The Thorns" if you don't think so) and many of his albums actually sound better when you go see the band live. I think that having a relationship with Pearl Jam has made him much more famous than he deserves to be.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, it's just my opinion.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:28 AM

In the "oldies" category I have to give it up for Norman Petty. That guy really thought outside of the box.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:42 AM

After working with him for a few months, I'd have to say Paul Mckenna (Wall of Voodoo, Circle Jerks, Tori Amos, Elton John, Ricky Martin, Frank Sinatra, Enrique Iglesias, etc, etc.) He is so down to earth and talented, it's hard not to make a great record with him. We had some great times, and the atmosphere we created for the clients was very fun and comfortable. I've also heard him turn some absolute GARBAGE into something that could win a grammy. Great ears, great guy.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:19 AM

I must give honorable mention to the late Joe Meek.
Hell, he not only thought outside the box, he killed his landlord then himself, and STILL got a line of audio gear named after him.
I recently got an exhaustive collection of his work. It's pretty amazing.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:06 AM

Am I the first to mention Allen Sides? Bob Clearmountain?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
...Alan Parsons. As if manning the boards for "Abbey Road" and "Dark Side of the Moon" wasn't enough, ...
alan worked on some of 'abbey road', and only as a 2nd eng. . just fyi

they call me The Thread Killer