Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2002, 08:25 PM

Default MTP vs DTP and spdif wordclock sync to 001/PTle

Hi -

Boy there's a lot of difference of opinion on this one:

Can I convert the bnc wordclock out on the MTP AV to spdif by using a hq bnc to rca adapter and accomplish what would otherwise require a DTP to do?

If not could I feed the wordclock into my O3d via bnc and then export digital black plus requisite wordclock into the 001 that way? Anyone with an opinion based in actual experience?

Digi claims that the PTle can resolve to wordclock via spdif. Thanks for your input.

Rdatman

[EMAIL][email protected]
Old 03-19-2002, 09:43 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTP vs DTP and spdif wordclock sync to 001/PTle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rdatman:
Digi claims that the PTle can resolve to wordclock via spdif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-This is not entirely true. Word clock and S/PDIF clock are two different protocols. The Digi001 can resolve to the following digital protocols:
-RCA S/PDIF
-Optical S/PDIF (aka: TOSLINK)
-ADAT Optical

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Can I convert the bnc wordclock out on the MTP AV to spdif by using a hq bnc to rca adapter and accomplish what would otherwise require a DTP to do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-No, this is not possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>If not could I feed the wordclock into my O3d via bnc and then export digital black plus requisite wordclock into the 001 that way? Anyone with an opinion based in actual experience?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure what you mean here...however, the Digi001 cannot resolve to a Word Clock signal, regardless of external device being used.

-The DTP has a true S/PDIF clock output which Pro Tools can resolve to.

Brent
Old 03-20-2002, 10:02 AM

thank you for cleaing up thos myths, as there were many misinformed users like myself.
I do realize that spdif and wordclock are in a strick sense two different protocols. I guess I thought that the 001 had the ability to accept either as a sync over spdif (rca in), something that I read.
Lastly, then I guess that a device that can accept wordclock in and reclock the spdif out to meter exactly with the signal on the BNC in should work. But like everything else I should try it first to confirm.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:48 PM

Look at the MOTU Digital Time Piece. I think you will find is has all you need.

It works very well for me...
http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/...roduct_ID=1696

dk
Old 03-21-2002, 02:05 PM

dkrause, thank you for the response and the link!

How do you have you DTP setup, and with what gear are you using it with?

I guess w/ the DTP, i would choose the 001 as the master, and then the DTP will send the correct timecode/sync to the Core2?
Or, DTP as the master and slave 001/core2 to it?
Sorry for all the questions, but i am [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] !

thanx

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 03-21-2002, 02:15 PM

Hi there-
Thanks for the input, It is my understanding that the DTP will work bidirectionally, like any good Pro gear should do. I guess you would generate clock on the 001 and send it using the spdif or opti. out, but bear in mind that the DTP may have a more stable clock than the 001 and you might choose to reconsider which you would use as the master based on jitter specs, etc.

rdatman
Old 03-21-2002, 03:07 PM

Well my set up is for video post so my master clock is a video blackburst generator which feeds the DTP and a VTR via BNC. From the time piece I send spidf clock to the 001 to it’s spidf input and set LE to External Sync.

In your case I would just make the DTP the master set the 001 and your other devices as slaves(external sync). The audio will sound better when clocked with the DTP (at least I think so). Just make sure you use a "short" high quality S/PDIF cable and that your sampling rates match throughout the chain.

Good Luck!

dk
Old 03-22-2002, 12:33 AM

Brent, could you suggest a Digital clock that send True SPDIF, and send word clock SPDIF out seperate outputs?

What i want to do is have my Digi001 sync'ed w/ a Lexicon core2 on seperate G3's.
I know that the Core2 takes WordClock SPDIF,
The Lucid GenX6 looks good, but its BNC out.
All this clock stuff confuses me! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

please help

thanx

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com