Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Default BOOM Question

So I've been learning how to use boom, but I keep having the same issue pop up. I make the different patterns in the boom window, and then put them into my song using an Instrument track and the MIDI editor. For the most part, it works fine. But sometimes, random MIDI notes (which are the drum patterns) won't play. I can fix this by erasing the note and then replacing it at the same spot, but this gets annoying after a while. I have the notes set to 1 Bar, and am in grid mode.

It tends to happen when I try fixing like I said above, one of the next bars will do the same thing and not play.

Does anybody have experience with this, or would know why this would be happening?

If I wasn't clear or you need more info please let me know.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Default Re: BOOM Question

What Sync Mode? And can you recreate with a new session?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:08 PM

Okay so for Sync Mode I think it's internal, because I checked my M-audio control panel and that's what it said. Is that what you meant?

I started a new project and about halfway into it experienced the same problem. For the one note (bar) Boom just randomly stopped playing and then resumed the bar after.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Boom Sync Mode.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:50 PM

Okay I looked up what that meant after reading the Creative Collection guide.

I have it in beat mode with pattern chains off. I no longer have the problem of things not playing, though, there is a new problem. Let's say I have two different patterns, one on 3 (D) and one on 4 (D#). Let's say I pencil them in, 3434 over the course of 4 bars. It's in Grid mode and the drum notes are set to be put in as one bar. Sometimes, especially if I start during the middle of a bar, a bar will overlap (as in 3334 instead of 3434). Other times, a random note will play on the first beat of 4 that shouldn't. For example, if 3 starts with a crash, and 4 doesn't, 4 will also start with a crash even though it's not in it's pattern.

The description in the creative collection guide was a little confusing for 1/16 and beat mode for syncing, so let me know if I'm wrong with that. Also, if I am doing anything wrong with my midi editting.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Why the Pro Tools Timeline over the Boom Event Bar?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question. I use the midi editor to pencil in notes for each pattern. You know how like the 1st pattern in the Boom Event Bar corresponds to the midi note C, the 2nd pattern corresponds to midi note C# and so on? That's how I'm putting Boom into my song. Is there a better way to be doing this?

Do you know if I could post a screenshot picture on here? I feel like that would help me explain it too.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Boom - Program your own Patterns. And no you need an external host to link screen captures.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 PM

Thank you. I checked out the video, and realized the problem might be how I'm putting MIDI notes into the MIDI Editor. It seems like the notes are running over the grid lines. I have Pro Tools in Grid mode, set for 1 full bar (not eight notes or anything), and I have Boom set to be drawn in as 1 full bar when I use the pencil tool. But, during playback it seems that the midi notes run over the bars I've set, and so it affects playback. More evidence of this is when I go to select (or highlight, whatever you would call it for copying and pasting) multiple bars at a time, it doesn't select the first bar. It selects the rest of them, but the first bar doesn't get selected, even though it looks like it should be.

I feel like I might have something set wrong, but I just can't figure it out. Any ideas?