Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 01-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Setting to make plugin selection in DAW follow channel selection?

I could've sworn there was an option to make Pro Tools switch which plugin is shown on screen based on which channel is selected on the S6, but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Like say I have a bunch of tracks with Channel Strip, and when I select that insert on one of my tracks, and then I hit the select button on another track that has it, the plugin window that is displayed on Pro Tools is still the previously selected instance of the plugin. I'd like it to switch to the one on the newly selected channel.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Avid

Default Re: Setting to make plugin selection in DAW follow channel selection?

Greetings,

If you (Settings:User) set Attention Most Recently Selected Track to "On" you can click on a track select in Pro Tools and it will attention it. You can also simply attention from the surface triangular attention buttons. If you set the Local Options (gear) on the Home Page (exploded view of the Attentioned channel) under Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change - it will update to the specified parameter view. For example, if you set this to EQ - it will bring up the EQ on the track that you click on the channel select for. A better option though is to set the Function and Backup Function to be Insert 1 and Insert 2 respectively. That way any track you click on you will be able to automatically bring up plug-ins on the first 2 inserts.

I know this is not a perfect workflow. We are aware of the limitations for windowing and are working to improve them.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Will this functionality be eventually implemented for ALL 3rd party plug-ins?
It seems that it's working OK with for e.g with NI's Supercharger but it doesn't work with Waves' RDeEsser. Most Avid plug-ins seem to work but widely used D-Verb!! and FabFilter's Pro-Q2 doesn't! It's a hit or miss.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Avid

Greetings,

Let me take another more descriptive run at this important topic.

Currently, with Pro Tools 2018.4 or Pro Tools 2018.7 and S6 18.3 there are a few ways to navigate and display plug-ins from Pro Tools. We are working on some improvements in this category that I will mention downstream.

Let's say I would typically want to see and control EQ's either from the surface or from the mouse, and I want them to display a plug-in window anytime I navigate to a new track. Under the Local Options (gear icon) of the Home page I am going to tweak the following preferences:
Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change and Backup Function and Knob Page Selected on Attention Change.

Since I normally want EQ, I am going to set the primary first preference to EQ, with Page (the second option in that row) set to LastSelected.
For the Backup Function I am going to choose Insert 1 and LastSelected. For this On Attention function to be triggered from a track selected in Pro Tools it is necessary to enable the preference (Settings > User) for Attention Most Recently Selected Track. You can either set it to On or to From Focused DAW Only if you want to ensure that other connected Workstations (which are connected but not the focused) don't trigger an attention change.

So - this combination of preferences will enable the operator to press an Attention switch from a fader module (triangle) which will Attention that track and bring up the EQ plug-on on the workstation. If I Attention a channel such as an Aux Input / Effect Return / Submaster or Chain then, if the EQ is not detected, the S6 will jump to the Backup Function and access Insert 1 - which may contain a Reverb, Delay or other Plug-In.

This also allows the operator to simply click on a track name from Pro Tools, where this track selection triggers S6 to Attention said track and bring up EQ. Again, if EQ is not available (in the case of D-Verb) then Insert1 will be accessed, any other plug-in.

Make sure that you also have the windowing preferences enabled under Settings > User > Workstation > General:
Open Plug-Ins on Workstation When Editing and Close Plug-Ins on Workstation When No Longer Editing.

As mentioned previously, we are working on adding additional functionality on S6 to allow Attentioning by clicking elements in the Pro Tools UI. Some of these behaviors were available with ICON, some are new. In the meantime, let us know how you are getting along.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanks Jeff!

It's pretty much how I have it configured. I spent many hours on this testing variations of Local Options. It seems that "Expand Fader Function and Backup Function Selected on Attention Change" plays a huge role in the whole setup (bug?).

Let's say I have three identical dialog tracks 1,2,3. Each one has ProQ2 on Insert 1, Pro Compressor on Insert 3, Pro Multiband Dynamics on Insert 5.

Let's say I want FabFilter on 1st Expand Knobs (Local Options: EQ or Insert1), Pro Compressor on 2nd Expand Knobs (Local Options: Dynamics or Insert 3) and Pro Multiband Dynamics on Expanded Faders. Also I want the plug-in window to appear for parameter that I'm currently controlling.

Impossible to do!

Whatever is set as Expand Fader Function affects what Plug-in window will show in PT. In other words: plug-in window defaults to whatever is set as Expand Fader Function Selected on Attention Change!

If I set Expand Fader Function to Insert 5 - I will get Multiband controls on the faders but will not see ProQ2 window on attentioned channel anymore (even if it's targeted and locked)
If I set Expand Fader Function to Insert 1 - I will see appropriate ProQ2 window on attention change but obviously will not get the Pro Multiband controls on faders.
If I swap ProQ2 for Channel Strip I get the same results.

I'm on PT 12.8.3 with S6 18.3
Old 08-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Avid

It sounds like you have the preference on the Home Page Local Options (gear icon) for Open Plug-Ins on Workstation When Knobs Assigned set to Expand Fader Module, which you don't want. This is going to always favor the Multiband when you attention a track. Try setting this pref to 1st Expand Knob Module (Pro-Q2 will open) or 2nd Expand Knob Module (Pro Compressor will open). You should also be able to set it to Master Module and still be ok.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the detailed response, Jeff, this just got me out of a jam.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:13 PM

Now what would be really great is a way to close the attentioned tracks’s associated UI plugin window from the S6. Either by Shift+triangle or soft key

Update: never mind. Found it in the session management 1 soft key

Last edited by its2loud; 08-15-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:54 PM
Avid

Yes, agreed. Additional UI windowing granularity is a popular topic currently.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-14-2019, 08:45 AM

Hi Jeff,

I'm having issues trying to get the S6 to open the plugin window and follow on attention.

I've followed all the settings exactly as you posted above, for example I would like my EQ plugin window to open in pro tools when I attention a track on the S6.

Currently running pro tools 2018.12

S6 Version 18.3.0.244

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks