Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Avid - Please allow the thunderbolt box to be sold alone

I am increasingly annoyed that Avid only sell this as a bundle with an interface. I already have HD Native with an Omni, but am interested in potentially using the new iMac or some other machine, given the Mac Pro is in never never land. Why would Avid not offer a trade in on the Native PCI card for the Thunderbolt box? That would give their loyal customers options, rather than putting them into the ridiculous position of having to buy much more than they need and go through all the hassle of selling a perfectly good (and newish) system on Ebay.

Come on Avid - remember us, the customers?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Avid - Please allow the thunderbolt box to be sold alone

Why not get one of the Sonnet, OWC or Magma Thunderbolt boxes then? It gives you more flexibility with being able to take the card out again if you want/need to, and they aren't terribly expensive, AND they have dual-TB ports on them so you can daisy chain devices, unlike the Avid box.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Why not get one of the Sonnet, OWC or Magma Thunderbolt boxes then? It gives you more flexibility with being able to take the card out again if you want/need to, and they aren't terribly expensive, AND they have dual-TB ports on them so you can daisy chain devices, unlike the Avid box.
That's a good idea. It looks like both the Sonnet and the OWC one are $399 (edit * actually the OWC one is $350 at BHphoto). Has anyone tried this with their NativePCI card?
Old 11-02-2012, 03:53 PM

Yes, I like that idea but I did have one poster who said he had real horror stories of only 2 minutes successful tracking before error messages. If those boxes are solid and reliable it is interesting - but I always feel better being on "official" supported platforms......
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmiller View Post
Yes, I like that idea but I did have one poster who said he had real horror stories of only 2 minutes successful tracking before error messages. If those boxes are solid and reliable it is interesting - but I always feel better being on "official" supported platforms......
If people only used "official" supported platforms... about 75% of current Pro Tools users would cease to exist.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM

I use the OWC box with no problems with a 2012 15" MBP. The only bad experience I've read about on here was with the Magma.