Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 12:45 AM

Default OT - Backing up hard drive...

Hi there:

I'm not sure why I feel more comfortable asking this type of question here - but I do...

My new hard drive came in this week - it's a Lacie 200 Gig.

What I need to do is the following:

The hard drive on my G4 - is partitioned into a 10 & 3-20 gig partitions.

On the 10 gig partition - I have PT's and 2 operating systems - 9.2 & Panther (so I can dual boot).

I run PT's in OS 9 ('cause that's where I've soaked a lot of cash into plug ins) - and burn discs with Toast in the Panther OS. Eventually I'll switch everything over to OSX.

I recently unloaded a small fortune into the Waves Diamond Bundle (an early Christmas present for me ) and would like to install it onto my 10 gig partition - problem is - it's pretty much full with the OS's & PT's & plug ins.

What I'd like to do is - somehow transfer my 10 gig partition over to the Lacie hard drive - then make the 10 gig partition bigger - then transfer the operating systems & Pt's & plug ins back to the internal hard drive.

I'm not sure if I'll need to re-authorize my plug ins or PT's after doing this - will I?

I was told that it's not as simple as just dragging & dropping the contents of the 10 gig partition to the Lacie & then dragging 'em back once I've resized the partition.

Also - should I format the new drive as NTFS or Fat 32? It's strictly going to be where I keep all my audio stuff from PT's sessions.

Any insight or links on how to do this are appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Sparky
Old 12-21-2003, 07:33 AM

Default Re: OT - Backing up hard drive...

In order to copy hidden folders and files, you need something like CopyAgent or CarbonCopyCloner.

We use CopyAgent to copy our system drives for backup all the time. I've restored from the several times, works excellent.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:54 AM

Go to your Mac HD and open Disk Utility. Sellect the partition you want to copy and make a disk image. and save it on the Lacie. When you're ready, use disk utility to install the Disk image on whatever partition you'd like to use as a new "larger" patition. This will save all the files as they are in the order the're in and replace then where ever you want.

I did this when loading Panther onto my Guinie Pig mac 'cause I needed to unpartition my DH for more space, without having to do a clean install. I then errased the HD and got rid of the partition set everything on the Drive to "zeros" (clean) and then reinstalled the disk image....voila, no problem and a great way to move things arround without messing them up.

Good Luck.
-------------------

Digi001
(RME adi-8 pro)
G4 MMD Dual 1g + 1.25g RAM
PTLE 6.4 (DVToolkit)
Mac. OS 10.3.3
3 Lacie 80g FW Audio Drives
Old 12-21-2003, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info!

where02190 - thanks - I'll look into this program.

brinaddison - did you do your transfering of stuff under OSX or OS9? - 'cause I'm using both OS's & wondering if doing something like this under 1 OS will affect the other...

Sparky