Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 08:54 PM

Default OT: things to get used to in OSX

This will sound quite elementary, but I just got my new 15" powerbook and being that it's my first venture in OSX, there's a few things like proper file management that I'm not used to.

Between looking in: MAC HD/Applications/______,
and MAC HD/Users/"Me"/Applications/______, what's the difference?

There seems to be a redundancy in folder names, when to use one over the other? For example, if I wanted to keep a folder of samples, where would be the best place to put them?

Also, say I look at my Mac HD folder, each time I open it, I have to select to view "As List", it never remembers it from the previous time, it keeps opening with the Icon view.

Another thing I'm trying to get used to is this whole "smooth font" deal, while I understand it's somewhat of a step forward, it's almost 'too smooth', any black letters seem rather blurry, out of focus, like it's lacking crispness?

Oh well, apologies for a boring thread, but I've been at my new machine for a few hours, trying to learn it a little more, and every once in a while I get struck with the 'ol "is it just me?" syndrome, thought I'd get your opinions.

Old 10-12-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Re: OT: things to get used to in OSX

Hi,

Well, there is only one Application folder. Which is in Mac HD/Applications
If you click on the Finder and go to the “Go” menu - Home - you will see there is not another app folder in there.

Some info you might find useful.

Just about anything can be dragged into the Dock. Everything in the dock is an alias so if you don’t want it in there, just drag it out and it “poofs” away (you’ll see)

I put frequently used folders in my dock. What’s nice is you can just right click (or control click or just left click and hold) on a folder in the Dock and the hierarchal menus to everything in there pops right up. I put my application folder, PT folder, etc.. among other things in the Dock.

Auto hide/show the Dock is - Command + Option + D -
Then. moving your mouse to the bottom of the screen will pop-up the dock until you move your mouse away. (I like to hide the Dock when I’m using PT)

There are two preference folders (and two Library folders as well) though.
The pref folder that has your PT stuff in it is in-
Home/Library/Preferences

Your plug-ins are in:
Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-ins

As far as your fonts and stuff. Go to the Apple Menu/System Preferences/General
The bottom of that pane has settings for the font smoothing.

Well, there’s a start anyway...

Oh, and just for fun, try shift clicking on the minimize button (the yellow one) on any open windows. (you'll see...)

dk
-------------------
Dual 1.25GHz FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.2.8
PTLE 6.1.1 - DIGI 001
100GB OWC Firewire (Oxford 911) Audio HD
DigTranslator 2
McDSP Analog Channel
Waves Native Power Pack - v4

Old 10-12-2003, 09:47 PM

a few useful sites on OSX

here

here

and here

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 10-12-2003, 10:33 PM

One thing I've been told that makes sense is to use the column view, and save everything in your "user". That way, if you need to back everything up, you just copy your user. If in column view everything is stored to the right of the "user", then you have it all in one pile.

Paul
Old 10-12-2003, 11:02 PM

Quote:
This is inaccurate.

Basically, OS X is a true multi-user universe. As such, there is a separation between things both globally ACCESSIBLE (ie: the /Applications directory) & universally REQUIRED (ie: the /System and /Library folders), and things that are accessible and required by the USERS (ie: you, your wife, your dog, your maid, etc.).

So, what you see in your Home directory (also denoted as ~/) can be thought of as YOUR additions to the more globally accessible and universally required stuff. In your ~/Library directory, you'll have your application preferences, specific preference panes you've installed for your user only, etc., etc.. Likewise, any applications installed in your ~/Applications directory is only accessible by you, any documents in ~/Documents are accessible only by you, etc., etc.

OS X seems a lot trickier than it actually is until you understand why there's all this replication and learn to use it to your benefit.

So, be patient with OS X. Like most strange and beautiful creatures, it rewards those with patience, open minds and curiosity. And it beats the snot out of OS 9!

Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 10-12-2003, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Also, say I look at my Mac HD folder, each time I open it, I have to select to view "As List", it never remembers it from the previous time, it keeps opening with the Icon view.
Go to the Finder, and select Finder > Preferences. Check the "Always open new windows in Column View" box.

To be honest, the Finder stuff doesn't always work as advertised (at least for me), and the whole Finder window preferences/View Options stuff is very sketchy and hard to use. Maybe things will get better with Panther...
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 10-13-2003, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
This is inaccurate

How is that inaccurate?

There is only one application folder. If there was a new application folder created for every user, it would take up huge amounts of unnecessary space in order to replicate it’s contents for every user. That simply is not the case. Yes... of course each user, can modify this folder depending on what type of account it is. But there still is only one “Application Folder”.

dk
-------
Dual 1.25GHz FW800 / 512MB ram
OS10.2.8
PTLE 6.1.1 - DIGI 001
100GB OWC Firewire (Oxford 911) Audio HD
DigTranslator 2
McDSP Analog Channel
Waves Native Power Pack - v4
Old 10-13-2003, 10:00 AM

Quote:
How is that inaccurate?

There is only one application folder. If there was a new application folder created for every user, it would take up huge amounts of unnecessary space in order to replicate it’s contents for every user.

That's not exactly how the ~/Application directory is used. The main /Applications directory is where the bulk of the apps go, but yes indeed, EACH USER has their own ~/Applications directory in their home folder. That where you can install the apps that you only want to use for yourself. There's no duplication of apps unless you have more than one user installing the same apps in their ~/ directory.

Personally, I don't have much use for this, but if you wanted to - for instance - keep your pure and innocent children from playing your demonic blood-n-guts games, suddenly the ~/Applications directory makes a lot of sense.

Here's an article that explains things a bit better.
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001
Old 10-13-2003, 10:28 AM

Upgraded systems only...that being OS X 10.1.x. there will be Applications folders in the Users Home directory.....
Not so anymore with Jaguar and Panther. They are not created by default. If an application is installed and asks if it is to be used by all or just the user installing it, it will create an Applications folder on the fly under that users Home if that was the choice made.

A stock standard install of Jag 10.2.3 from the Apple CDs will only create one Applications folder...under /
Old 10-13-2003, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Upgraded systems only...that being OS X 10.1.x. there will be Applications folders in the Users Home directory.....
Not so anymore with Jaguar and Panther. They are not created by default. If an application is installed and asks if it is to be used by all or just the user installing it, it will create an Applications folder on the fly under that users Home if that was the choice made.

A stock standard install of Jag 10.2.3 from the Apple CDs will only create one Applications folder...under /
Then how is our parent poster seeing this:

Quote:
Between looking in: MAC HD/Applications/______,
and MAC HD/Users/"Me"/Applications/______, what's the difference?
...on a brand new PowerBook running Jaguar? Not arguing, just curious...
Reason 2.5
ProTools LE 6.1
Digi001