Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM

Default Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

I've been away from music for awhile. Started back up a couple years ago... wasn't impressed with Avid's new pricing model so I let my license expired. Avid is giving 1 free year of renewal with the purchase of a reinstatement plan. How many of you said "screw it" and just let your version ride out. Have they done much with updates? I know the last time I checked, video was still messed up. I was messing around with a session the other day and noticed if I was moving midi notes around while the project was playing, the graphics would start lagging. This is on 12.5.2.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 PM

What OS you running?

I renewed last September....I don't know that they will bring anything major to the table by this September.

I don't use EUCON so I don't need those updates.....

I went back to Win so I won't need Avid to update me b/c of Apples most recent version sickness.

I could probably let it ride this September....too soon to tell.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 03-24-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Curious: How many of you are letting your license ride..

I have until November to re-up, but I've been using Reaper more and more, and PT less and less.

Although today, I used PT (ver 12.7.1) for an interview record at work on our Mac mini, RME MADIface XT (3 tracks - interviewer, guest speaking foreign language and interpreter) and PT stopped 12 minutes in with a CPU over load message.

3 tracks. No effects. Large buffer size. External raid drive.

*sigh*

Was thinking about recording in Reaper before we rolled. I should have listened to my inner voice...

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X

Last edited by grayter1; 03-24-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
What OS you running?

I renewed last September....I don't know that they will bring anything major to the table by this September.

I don't use EUCON so I don't need those updates.....

I went back to Win so I won't need Avid to update me b/c of Apples most recent version sickness.

I could probably let it ride this September....too soon to tell.
I'm running the latest MacOS. I use Eucon. Maybe I should consider reinstating since Apple is constantly changing the OS. Didn't really think about this until now.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I have until November to re-up, but I've been using Reaper more and more, and PT less and less.

Although today, I used PT (ver 12.7.1) for an interview record at work on our Mac mini, RME MADIface XT (3 tracks - interviewer, guest speaking foreign language and interpreter) and PT stopped 12 minutes in with a CPU over load message.

3 tracks. No effects. Large buffer size. External raid drive.

*sigh*

Was thinking about recording in Reaper before we rolled. I should have listened to my inner voice...

tg
Damn that sucks. I've been trying to get away from Pro Tools for awhile. I actually got certified for Logic 7 but could never get used to the workflow. I'm not a professional but music production is so therapeutic. I guess I'd have to spend the reinstatement fee one day when things break.
I run a cylinder Mac pro Octo core and sometimes I get cpu spikes from 4 to 5 instrument tracks and a couple aux tracks with effects. . The instrument tracks, however, are getting their audio through ether net from Vienna Ensemble Pro.. which is on a other computer. It doesnt happen that often but it seems abnormal.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:06 PM

I do game and post work in addition to music so I don't have much use for other DAWs. However I let my plan lapse as of the last week of 2016 mostly because I don't feel I've gotten $599 (my 2015 plan price) nor $399 worth of updates in the previous year. I also don't feel the need to update my OS just because Apple makes a new one. I only do that when it becomes necessary. Still on Mavericks. I may wait to update from HDN to HDX if they do another exchange that makes sense financially. Otherwise I am sitting out until there's a significant update to PT.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:31 PM

I stopped on Mavs and 11.3. Have two laptops and both are clones. Should last another 10 years when I'm likely done with recording OR some company comes to their senses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 PM

I have yet to upgrade HD11 to 12 and have no plans to if ever unless they come to thier senses and come up with reasonable costs/value. Heck I've owned HD11 since the day it came out, but just finally moved to it a couple of months ago.

I have a Native version that is on 12 and will continue to update it every year. At $99 that's no big deal.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-25-2017, 06:22 AM

The problem with letting your license lapse is that at this point Avid charges $899 to get your HD license reinstated. So letting it "ride" only works if you wait it out for at least 2 years! What are the chances of Avid not coming with a useful update in 2 years?!. A stable release instead of adding features no one asked for (cloud collaboration and loops!? WTF). Even if it takes them 2 years, its still $100 cheaper to keep up to date (2 X $399 instead of $899).
I guess I have 5 days to make that desision
Old 03-25-2017, 06:25 AM

It is $999 , not $899 to reinstate a HD license ...

See here:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/pr...upgrade-chart/

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————