Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM

Default Search issues in the PT 11 "improved" Workspace

How are people liking the new "improved" Workspace in 11?

The new Search functionality is a disaster, in my opinion. Apparently, they switched the default search engine protocol from a boolean "AND" search to a boolean "OR" search which I think is a huge mistake. For example, if you need to find a "big boom" from an earlier reel, it used to be that you would type in big boom and only files that have "big" AND "boom" would result. Now, any files that have "big" OR "boom" will result. So, in addition to big booms the results will be little booms, baby booms, big winds, big farts, etc, etc. Obviously, this is not useful and is the opposite logic of most search engines (web search, Soundminer, iTunes, etc). Typically, the more terms you add, the more narrow and specific the results should be. Now it is the opposite. Now you get more irrelevant results.

You can wrap big boom in quotes and, like a boolean search, you will get only results where big and boom are adjacent, but what if the the file was actually boom big? The new search will not find it.

Another missed opportunity is that they neglected to include any other boolean functionality. Instead they added the overly complicated Advanced Search. You have to type in Big, then click on the little Advanced Search icon, then more fields appear. Then, click the + sign and add one term at a time to yield the equivalent of what used to be a simple search (a boolean "AND" search).

Anyone else agree that Avid should rethink this?

Admin Edit: Idea#4034

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 02-06-2015 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added IdeaScale link -JC
Old 01-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Search issues in the PT 11 "improved" Workspace

It is a little clunky, but it only takes me 1 second to hit those extra buttons.

It actually seems to work a lot better than it used to. It used to get corrupt databases all the time, and the search was never reliable.

I had purchased Basehead to search instead, but now Basehead doesn't seem to work well in Yosemite and keeps crashing and getting corrupted.

I'm back to using workspace and it seems to work well.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:35 AM

I agree you really need to be able to do a Boolean search from the main field. Extra clicking is not efficient.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 AM

In my opinion, the larger problem is the new reverse logic in the simple search. If you type in bass guitar, you will get bass clarinet, sea bass, and acoustic guitar. Anything with the word "bass" OR "guitar". This is broken and Avid needs to fix it as far as I'm concerned.

The lack of boolean and the goofy Advanced Search is just another example of Avid dropping the ball on a new feature.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlybunny View Post
It is a little clunky, but it only takes me 1 second to hit those extra buttons.
It's not the time it takes, it's more the absurd notion of entering one word at a time and clicking that + sign after each word. Standard search logic, like Google or the Workspace in PT 10, would not require this. They changed the basic search function and made it worse.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:21 PM

One step forward, two steps back
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starcrash View Post
Anyone else agree that Avid should rethink this?
Absolutely! The DUC search might have inspired them.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM

I also think so!!

Why can not understand what has changed it.
I can not use yet ProTools11 due that.
This is a very big problem for a Soundeffect designer.
Doesn't everyone use Workspace?
The situation for which "or serch" is used effectively can't think of at all.

If the situation can't be imagined, Avid should return it to the beginning.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 AM

Another +1 for the Boolean AND Search in Workspace. Prior to PT11 I was able to search my 50,000+ sound effects library, now I will have to invest in a 3rd party system like Basehead or Soundminer. Not impressed. I have started an Ideascale entry on this one. So if you want the AND restoring then please vote for it. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thornton View Post
Another +1 for the Boolean AND Search in Workspace. Prior to PT11 I was able to search my 50,000+ sound effects library, now I will have to invest in a 3rd party system like Basehead or Soundminer. Not impressed. I have started an Ideascale entry on this one. So if you want the AND restoring then please vote for it. Thanks.
Really? At least pt 11's search engine is fast. Pt 10's search took a million years to find results. Anyway, you need Soundminer for any serious fx search. Pt 10 and 11 can't touch a real fx search engine.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme