Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM

Default PT11 - sidechain inputs not delay compensated on non-HDX systems

just looking at the what's new pdf - sad to see this:

Automatic delay compensation for side-chains (Pro Tools|HDX systems only)

please avid - implement this for non-hdx users!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Default Re: PT11 - sidechain inputs not delay compensated on non-HDX systems

could an avid tech support person please comment on if this will be added for non-hdx pt11 users? Of if not why it's only available for HDX?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:19 PM

That's also a big issue for session compatibility!
AVID, please comment!
Old 06-24-2013, 01:21 PM

Have you guys tested it? I think native has had it for all of 10. 11 just brings that feature to hdx. I think that's right
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM

Brandonx1, I think you are right, thanks!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM

I've not tested 11 yet but sidechain inputs are certainly not compensated for on my 10HD setup -either on tdm or running natively with a metric halo. I have asked an avid rep about this and they confirmed it was not a bug specific to my system but in fact sidechain inputs are not compensated for on 10, outside of HDX systems, where a preference is available to check.

It seems others have noticed this but i can't find any official info anywhere online from digi/avid.

I guess I'll demo 11 at some point but I'm pretty certain it's not been fixed. I understand most people just won't have noticed this - unless you use high latency plugs (UAD) or hardware inserts it's not really an issue.

here is another thread on the same issue.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=328549
Old 02-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Hey guys, wanted to resurrect this thread if at all possible seeing as I've scoured the net for days and days on this issue, but I have a feeling with my rig being HD Native, the solution described in this thread does not apply for me. I've tried it. Tried it many different ways in fact. Once I have some plugs in my session, particularly on the side chain trigger track's inserts and system delay has gotten considerable (which is normal for me), I get huge flamming on my side chained plugs. I have tried the following:

- Sending the SC bus also to a dummy muted Aux input with outputs set to main mix outs (i.e. A 1-2) also used on my master fader, in order to get ADC to kick in correctly. Didn't work.

- The above but instead sending a new send from this dummy Aux to the side chain destination plug. Also didn't work.

- Thought about trying the Time Adjuster plugin on an Aux in between side chain trigger track's send and side chain destination track. Doesn't apply though because the signal arriving at side chain destination is always usually late already, so delaying it more is not going to do me any good.

I know that not having a full HDX system, I don't have the preference available to enable ADC specifically for side chains... but other than offsetting the dedicated side chain trigger track manually, I haven't been able to get my system to compensate side chain triggers in time at all. It's a real pain in the ass. I like to mix as I record/compose and sometimes setting up side chains before mix time is a part of my creative process so to having to constantly revise my trigger track based on what plugs I'm using in my session, etc... it's a huge vibe/productivity kill. Ideally the ADC would be 'liquid' like it is for all other plugs on tracks as you modify the use of plugs in your session.

Of course at the time I didn't know that I would need an HDX system to have this basic feature taken care of when I purchased HD Native... but man... for that kind of $$$.... to not have this working properly....? Total burn. HD software features with Native vs HDX are not identical after all.

Anyone had luck with a more elegant workaround for this with specifically HD Native running PT HD 11 software (on OSX)? ...besides just scooting a copy of a side chain trigger track by ear?? Ugh.

Anyone know if Avid is actually working on a fix for this for HD Native systems? I seem to have read that they're aware of it but lord only knows when they'll address this for HD Native users... if ever. I'm dying over here.
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog