Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-18-2013, 03:41 PM

Default HD Accel under CoreAudio in PTHD11?

Haven't seen any confirmation. Being as PTHD10 and PTHD11 can be installed simultaneously, can my HD interface be used under CoreAudio or Aggregate in PTHD11 so I really can run both systems?
Old 04-18-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Re: HD Accel under CoreAudio in PTHD11?

I recall there being a big discussion about this when PT 10 came out.

My recollection is that your HD system will not work in PT 11HD under CoreAudio.

Meaning you cannot treat it like any other sound card and run ProTools 11HD through it ignoring the built in DSP features but saving the cost of a new interface of some kind.

I'll be happy to be shown wrong if someone can post a link to the contrary.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
I recall there being a big discussion about this when PT 10 came out.

My recollection is that your HD system will not work in PT 11HD under CoreAudio.

Meaning you cannot treat it like any other sound card and run ProTools 11HD through it ignoring the built in DSP features but saving the cost of a new interface of some kind.

I'll be happy to be shown wrong if someone can post a link to the contrary.
I think you are right there. If you are gonna use a older interface you still need to have a card installed and seeing that they are not supported in 11 or 11HD I don't believe it will run as you want it to. Sorry. I think eol'd hardware is really sad and all of you who paid alot of money for HD systems are hosed now and even though Avid has a somewhat simple explanation for it I don't feel it is done correctly. No "real" explanation has been given, just that the old cards won't run on the new PT11HD. I am really feeling you guys pain but the old interfaces should still work according to Avid reps I talked to at Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

I really hope there is a simpler way then buying all new Avid cards and discarding the older ones .. sad really! We sold our HD3 just in time but it has done wonders for us for 7 yrs and we really will miss that reliable old HD rig

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-18-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCHUNTER View Post
Haven't seen any confirmation. Being as PTHD10 and PTHD11 can be installed simultaneously, can my HD interface be used under CoreAudio or Aggregate in PTHD11 so I really can run both systems?
Depends on what card you're driving the HD interface with. TDM/Accel or HDX or HD Native? The only ones guaranteed to work under PT10 and PT11 are the HDX and HD Native cards. You shouldn't need to run an aggregate setup to run HD.

QAPLA!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 PM

This question probably won't be definitively answered until PT11 starts shipping and someone tries it.

Unless Avid broke it on purpose.

After all, if the HD cards can route sound from, for example, iTunes, then they should be able to route sound from ProTools. Right?

Anyhooo.....
Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 PM

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Right now there's no way for it to happen, because in any given system, Protools recognizes the TDM cards and opens it like normal.

But PT11 won't recognize it as an HD type interface, so I wonder if it will just see it like a 3rd party Core Audio/ASIO interface.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
But PT11 won't recognize it as an HD type interface, so I wonder if it will just see it like a 3rd party Core Audio/ASIO interface.
That's the hope.

If so, I'll be able to work at least the next year with PTHD10 for tracking and PTHD11 for mixing without having to decide whether to dump everything (including PT). If it works well, I'd be pretty pleased.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:04 AM

I was hoping to use pt10hd with my tdm rig but have pt11hd running under asio4all ad if the tdm cards were a3rd party soundcard, just so I can load sessions with missing plugins and see what needed rendering etc. For example the Virus Indigo will never be ported an I use that a lot.
It seems stupid to have to buy a 003 in order to be able to do this!
Surely if asio4all works on my win7 64bit then pt11hd should just see it as another soundcard.
Im glad to go up to hdx eventually but I need time to evaluate a native only system first.
I can only see that this would work unless Avid deliberately crippled it..which would be stupid.
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 05-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I wondered the same. It would look quite ironic to see PT11HD using ANY interface (including built-in etc.), and HD Accel(TDM)/Coreaudio working with anything EXCEPT PT11.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:45 PM

The problem is if they make the audio driver for HD cards work like every other driver for every other sound card then you aren't forced to upgrade your system to an HDX system.

Therefore, it is unlikely that your HD cards will work using coreaudio with PT11.

But, maybe I'll be proven wrong. We'll see in a few weeks hopefully.