Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 10-21-2020, 08:06 PM

Default Apogee Symphony/Quartet and PT

I just purchased a new Mac Book Pro
I'm looking for a portable setup for outside of the studio.
I am looking at the new Apogee Symphony or the Apogee Quartet
Currently have PT10 on my iMac setup but will upgrade if I hear good things about this setup

Thanks
Old 10-21-2020, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony/Quartet and PT

What's the question? What interface are you running now?... that might help clue folks into what you might miss or not.

Apogee stuff is highly regarded. The Apogee Thunderbolt interfaces only work on Macs which some folks consider a limitation, but likely not an issue for you.

They are trying to follow UAD with DSP processing, but have a more flexible approach with native processing options, which seem nice... but you just do not hear nearly as much about that stuff as with UAD.

UAD Apollo Twin or X4, Apogee, or Moto stuff would be the top of my list at that class of interface. And a lot of that comes down to IMNSHO quality of software and support v other players.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-21-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Apogee Symphony/Quartet and PT

I presume the "new" Apogee Symphony that you are referring to is the Apogee Symphony Desktop.
I actually got one last week, and I'm loving it.

Firstly, the sound quality is impeccable - it was the same experience as listening to music at a very well maintained recording studio (my favorite combination was SSL 9080J with ATC SCM 100's)

Second, the touch screen is an excellent feature. It makes everything so much easier.

Third, the mic preamp emulations are a joy to the ears. I've been messing around with the vintage Neve and Ampex mic pre emulations that come with Symphony Desktop. They have a lot of characteristics, to say the least.

I have not owned a Quartet personally but had a few friends in film music who use Quartet for its number of inputs and outputs.
Personally, I don't think this is a fair comparison since they have a very different use.
But if you are looking for the ultimate quality, I'd recommend Symphony Desktop.