Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-29-2019, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Printing stems "in the box"

Quote:
Originally Posted by henningaround View Post
I feel like every time I used offline bounce the resulting clips had mistakes in it. Sometimes just bugs in plug-in automation (mostly the IR stuff) with really weird results. But very often simple mixing mistake I myself did (write automation to selection...). I always re-record realtime while producers and director are listening and punch in changes afterwards while they are still there. So print master is finished as soon as they leave. I use offline bounce only to deliver to other departments etc. Or sometimes quiet handy to get a complete loudness analysis over night of your mix after 1st or 2nd pass!
+1

real-time gives you a great opportunity to fix or improve little things.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:04 PM

What is Blue Mode? I have been routing DIA, SFX, MSX and VO to Aux Subs, then those are routed to a mix Aux bus, as well as to specific print tracks.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarHole View Post
What is Blue Mode? I have been routing DIA, SFX, MSX and VO to Aux Subs, then those are routed to a mix Aux bus, as well as to specific print tracks.
Turning OFF low latency mode on your record tracks.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Hey I'm just curious for those who bounce to a dedicated stem recorder, what is the advantage of that, vs. routing to record tracks on your main system?
One studio told me they do it to distrubute the system load. It sounds to me like a bad excuse for not setting up one system right. But i found a different perspective to this on a recent post in gearslutz, where the advantage lies in workflow of large projects:
"Because often it's more efficient logistically to work with a multi machine setup for DX, FX, MX dept. and also record to a stem recorder as deliverables work can be laid off to the mix tech crew etc.
A one-machine-mix might only seem alright for smaller projects that won't get conformed during the mix or where everything is handled by one mixer and one" editor.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but in a typical dolby atmos theatrical mix are you recording stems for all 128 object paths as well as 7.1.2 beds for each food group? Seems like you'd have to use a separate stem recorder in that instance. Would you be monitoring through the recorder as well?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but in a typical dolby atmos theatrical mix are you recording stems for all 128 object paths as well as 7.1.2 beds for each food group? Seems like you'd have to use a separate stem recorder in that instance. Would you be monitoring through the recorder as well?
on our atmos setup we use a separate recorder (which is something, because I HATE HATE HATE that workflow...) but it's necessary with the external RMU and all the beds, mixes, and re-renders (downmixes) that you need to print. I don't think people ask for object stripes anymore... but I have only delivered a few things.

We monitor directly from the RMU which is seperate from the stem recorder.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155 View Post
on our atmos setup we use a separate recorder (which is something, because I HATE HATE HATE that workflow...) but it's necessary with the external RMU and all the beds, mixes, and re-renders (downmixes) that you need to print. I don't think people ask for object stripes anymore... but I have only delivered a few things.

We monitor directly from the RMU which is seperate from the stem recorder.
Cool, thanks. So how do the object tracks get delivered then? Is that part of the ADM file?

Saw an exhibition with Will Files at the Dolby Theater in NYC and they had full stripes of the object tracks for Planet of the Apes. Good to hear that the object stripes are becoming a thing of the past.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecRoom View Post
Cool, thanks. So how do the object tracks get delivered then? Is that part of the ADM file?

Saw an exhibition with Will Files at the Dolby Theater in NYC and they had full stripes of the object tracks for Planet of the Apes. Good to hear that the object stripes are becoming a thing of the past.
Yes, they're contained in the atmos file... I know some USED to require the object stripes, and some still might... but as distributors figure out their deliverables, the specs are changing... last I saw they wanted the Atmos file, then 5.1 re-render/stems, and stereo DME
Old 07-09-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155 View Post
Yes, they're contained in the atmos file... I know some USED to require the object stripes, and some still might... but as distributors figure out their deliverables, the specs are changing... last I saw they wanted the Atmos file, then 5.1 re-render/stems, and stereo DME
Awesome, thanks Major!