Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 12-28-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Missing Audio Files

Hi

A very scary first. . . hopefully I can sleep tonight.

Working on some editing after a day of tracking. Went back to a song and most of the bits & pieces of the bass tracks we recorded are missing, leaving my comp track about 90% with offline regions. I have opened and closed the Session File several times today, without incident. . . but all of a sudden 44 missing audio files all recorded today and not yet backed up. Manually finding and relinking can not find the files. I have been on Pro Tools since 1998. . Mix, then HD and just went to HDX and ProTools 2018 a couple weeks ago. . . I have never lost an audio file before, and this is major!

I have not done any region bin or file clean up or deletions or anything like that today. . . the trash is empty. The only thing I did that was different was turn off hyper threading, trying solve a plaque of AAE-9171, but no luck so far. . . . but that should not affect files. . .

Also, I must say, aside from Freeze and Commit features, and better running Virtual instruments due to 64 bit, Pro Tools 2018 on HDX is not even close to feeling like home yet. . . I miss so much from all the Power of the DSP and Plugins I used to be able to run on Pro Tools 10 HD. . . which were never ported to AAX DSP.

It has been a long day, and I have a busy one tomorrow, so time to crash. . but I might need a few drinks first to enable that. . .

What happened to my files?

Last edited by Howardk; 12-28-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Missing Audio Files

Uh we can't guess.

Where did you tell Pro Tools to put them?

Where exactly does Pro Tools Workspace/Clip Browser think all the audio files for this session are?

Do you have any media not connected now that you had connected when recording this. Including things like removable SD cards, network file server mounts, cloud file storage, etc.

And if you need to you can use OS find or search tools to try to find *all* wav or whatever files.... Worse case use good old Unix find. e.g. in a terminal window type...

sudo find / -type f -name \*.wav -print

sudo find / -type f -name \*.aif -print (to find *every* aif file)

(and enter your password when asked).

make sure every drive you could have been using (even accidentally) is connected and mounted before doing that (e.g. you can see into the volumes with the finder).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 12-29-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:08 AM

open a Pro Tools workspace. right click (or sort by) and choose "select offline files". Go to the directory column and see where all these files are expected to be. Then go to your Finder and see if they are actually there. If they are, from the workspace, try to relink. Possibly by name only.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
open a Pro Tools workspace. right click (or sort by) and choose "select offline files". Go to the directory column and see where all these files are expected to be. Then go to your Finder and see if they are actually there. If they are, from the workspace, try to relink. Possibly by name only.
^^ Much clearer explanation than mine, if you can't make progress with that try the find commands and wade through the outputs.

In all cases make sure all potential file volumes are mounted.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh we can't guess.

Where did you tell Pro Tools to put them?

Where exactly does Pro Tools think the audio files they are?

Do you have any media not connected now that you had connected when recording this. Including things like removable SD cards, network file server mounts etc.

And if you need to you can use OS find or search tools to try to find all wav or whatever files.
The files where all written to the usual spot, the Audio Files folder within the Session folder.

When the Full Path is displayed in the Clips (Regions Bin) it points there as well.

All drives and connections are identical, all day long.

This is not likely pilot error. . . I was opening and closing sessions these evening. . . between many sessions. . . no problems, and the Bass recording session was all done today with no system changes. . . plus I did not do an file clean up or anything like that today.

I will try and post a few screen shot pictures. . . this is strange.

On aside, I just noticed Pro Tools Ultimate 2018 does not seem to have the Project Files Menu Item in the Windows Menu (or whatever it was called in Pro Tools 10 HD). This Window also shows all the Audio files and locations, and provides a Copy and Relink feature, when files are spread across drives. . . I found it a very useful alternate to Save Copy In. . . I am hoping I just didn't notice it, or it has a new name, and the feature still exists.0

I sees a couple more posts just came in as i was writing this. . . Thanks for the posts guys! I am calling it a day, and will look at it further tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Ok, I did this. . . that was the Window i was looking for. . . I see the missing files Do Not have a Size/Waveform/Duration/Unique ID etc. . .

The Path for the missing files the Same as the Rest, the Audio Files folder in that Session Folder.

I right Clicked on a missing Audio File, and selected Reveal in Finder. It shows the file amongst the others. However the date/time is incorrect. . . date/time for the file is around when the problem occurred tonight, not when the file was recorded this aft.

At least the files seem to be there. . . even thou the Auto/Manual File Find/Link did not locate.

I should be able to sleep now. . . I'll get on this tomorrow. . . Re-linking by Name is not something i have done before. . . I'll have to find that function.

I wonder how this happened?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2018, 12:43 AM

And just confirm the type of session drive and filesystem on it.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And just confirm the type of session drive and filesystem on it.
Session Drive: Samsung SSD 850 500 GB
File System: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

This recording Volume is the only partition and I have been using it for a couple years(GUID Partition Map). I think this drive is on a Sonnet SATA to PCIe Card (2 SSDs fit on the card). I have used this card for a couple years as well. The System Disk is OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SDD 1TB, also on the Sonnet PCIe Controller.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:44 AM

The link by name option is part of the manual relink window. You get three options when selecting possible relink candidates. Name + length is probably your best choice.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:02 PM

Sorry if this is not going to help:
Missing files issues have plagued me since I went from 2018.4 to 2018.7 ( and .10 & .12) a few weeks ago.
Files go missing randomly after reopen, find&relink only without file id/magic id possible. Lost files were sometimes inside the regular audio files folder, sometimes outside. Sometimes the missing files residing outside the regular folder werent even visible in pt workspace's session audio files.
I haven't been able to drill down on the issue(s). Currently Mac 10.12.6.