Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-18-2014, 07:58 AM

Default Macro Utlity conundrum

I need a macro utility to replace the venerable old QuickKeys that has not been working well across OS X updates. Here's my problem: I have PT10 on ML and PT7 on 10.6.8 for editing and need to keep both of those where they are for now. Maestro, which I've gotten good word about, requires two licenses for two versions in this scenario.

All I need is a utility that will allow me to sequence macros into actions for the often used editing actions, mainly selecting an audio suite plugin, grabbing a setting, processing, and closing the window. That's it, and the usual other PT chores. Can anyone recommend macro utility that is current with 10.9 and 10.8 but will also work in 10.6.8 and is good with PT submenus?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Macro Utlity conundrum

Hi spiggy, what kind of problem do you habe with Qk. I have it on 10.8.5 here and it works for my purposes. Not sure about future though
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM

Hi Felix. I stopped updating years ago, waiting for the dust to settle on its post CE Software status but was able to keep using through a few more OS updates. Eventually I decided to download the current trial during ML I was one of those whose sequences ran into some of the things that broke in Lion (toolbars). I know a lot of people were able to ignore the warnings on the Startly site and just continue with it, but I didn't pursue it as it seemed in such confusion at the time. Many folks are saying that they've got Quickeys doing OK on their current Macs but I'm still having some issues, mostly, I think, related to 10.9's sluggish window behavior. It's too much trouble to get all the more complex sequences that open and close windows and do actions in between working like they used to, though there's the possibility they could be solved. I'm just not up for it anymore. I also really dislike the current UI of Quickeys enough that I don't feel like exploring it : )

The last few years for Quickeys has been so strange, judging by Startly's site, that I want to leave it behind and set up with a utility that gets some support. Maybe if I was one of those for whom it is working well I'd not bother yet, but hasn't been. That's kind of it in a nutshell : )
Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 PM

I'm working with FastScripts and AppleScripts almost exclusively. It's really great, especially once you tap into the full power of memory locations and window configurations. You can get pretty tricky with UI Browser to find specific coding to Pro Tools, but Pro Tools isn't the best program to try and write scripts for.
ControllerMate is also fantastic, especially when using third-party hardware to trigger your macros.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-27-2014, 07:21 AM

I've seen recommendations for Keyboard Maestro. Thinking of looking into it myself.