Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Digi 002 is acting strange and wont connec HELP!!!!!!t

1. When I press SEL for Stand Alone yes doesn't react but does if I sel no
2. sounds buzzy like a fuzy blew out. I plugged a guitar directly into it and it only buzzes when I strum. Hook a mic directly same thing
3. it wont open protools stuck a the prompt to please connect turn on hardware.

What could this be? I'm the only one who uses it its in home environment
running.

IS there board that crapped out? a fuse in side. Thats what is sound like but then why wont it open protools. I used a week ago.
Is there a driver that I'm missing? I see no questions marks
could a virus got into the 002? Is there a fuse in the preamp thats blown?

HELP@@@!!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Digi 002 is acting strange and wont connec HELP!!!!!!t

If this needs to be sent in
where do I send it to?
how long will it take?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:01 AM

Do a search for 002 power harness. Its a well known and documented issue. Often, re-seating each connection several times will solve the issue(at least for several months). If you have the rack version, Face it toward you, pop the top, PSU is on the right side. Harness has 3 connections(work each off/on 5-6 times). Mixer version is a little trickier. Fold up a bath towel and turn the 002 face down on the towel. Unscrew the bottom panel. Lift SLOWLY so you can unplug the PSU which is bolted to the bottom panel inside. You need to lift one side and unplug(pay attention to these plugs so you get them back correctly). Tip the bottom the other way and unplug the other side. Now the harness has a 4rth connection that is UNDER the firewire/midi PCB. You can work this one without removing the board(or remove the board by removing several phillips screws on the board and around the midi jacks). Call Avid's tech support as they have been very good about replacing harnesses for all registered owners(regardless of how old).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2010, 09:23 AM

If you have the harness problem, I recommend sending it in for repair. Shouldn't cost too much, or maybe still covered.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=210711

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 09-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Guys!!!!

I took it apart blew compressed and dusting off the boards.
I removed the bottom panel of the board disconnected the power.
Now it works ok but!!!!!!!!!!
my IEEE 1934 bus host controller
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
SAYS
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

tried download drivers just wont work wondering if a short messed up the firewire??? Any ideas? Anyone have this issue?

HP xw8400 10gig ram was running xp but now wiped drive and running 7 hoping it would have helped but had the same problem
HELP@!!!!!!!
Also if this happens again can avid send me a powersupply its not hard to take apart and put back together but man!!!! So many screws!!!!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 AM

I left most of the screws in a little bag taped to the bottom. Hot-patching the firewire can burn out the board in the 002(a fairly expensive fix). You need to figure out if the 002 is really working so I would be checking with friends and music stores to find someone else that has one. Take your to their room and try booting their rig with your 002 to see if it works. As for whether your hp will run Pro Tools, post a Sandra report.
Help us help you - what you need to know before posting!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Ok so...... My firewire driver is messed up/ I think the internal firewire burnt out.
I got a firewire card (from another computer) It works!!!

As I was writing this I was getting 1394 light on the 002 flashing and nothing on the display

then
I loaded Protools its acting normal what gives?

Is the power going to die? Is it a 1394 problem?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willl3 View Post
Ok so...... My firewire driver is messed up/ I think the internal firewire burnt out.
I got a firewire card (from another computer) It works!!!

As I was writing this I was getting 1394 light on the 002 flashing and nothing on the display

then
I loaded Protools its acting normal what gives?

Is the power going to die? Is it a 1394 problem?
Not sure what you are saying now. Is it working? If yes, go make some music and don't worry about it. With no display, I am still suspect about the power harness. with 4 total connections, it feeds 3 separate PCB's. If it has a poor connection to the PCB that includes the LED display, that would explain the blank display. Does Pro Tools open and run like this?

Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Ok,
The internal 1394 connection is broken as the driver has a big ! and will not load

I got an external - card - 1394 - Thats working fine as is protools

My 002 is working normal it is only when I don' t have protools open that I have a blank screen/display it used to say standby but now it says nothing but flashes 1394 light.

I've switched to stand alone then exited it so see if is lost communication. Nope it work fine

I want to know how to get another power supply if mine should go out?
I would like to have on standby just in case it blows. Its not that hard to replace.

Thank you all for you help as this was a hardware issue with the motherboard firewire not working.

And unplugging the powersuppy directly from the board must have done something as now the 002 goes to standalone with one press of the button.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:59 AM

What PT version are you using? If it's 8.0.3cs2 update to 8.4 first...

8.0.3cs2 triggered the power harness issue on my system a few months ago, I had the power harness replaced twice with no result...
then the avid repair guy hooked it up on his mac for a few days non stop without any issue, but as soon I connected it to my system again I had the same issue again.
So it had clearly something to do with the cs version. As soon I updated to 8.04 that problem was solved... at least that one... now there are a bunch of other bugs that need a fix...

Cheers