Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 08-11-2020, 11:49 AM

Default different PT versions

Hi,

I know there is PT 1st - we don't need to discuss this.

Then there is Pro Tools "Vanilla" - or whatever it's called now.

Then there is HD/Ultiomate for HD/HDX/PT-native_thunderbolt_systems.

I've attached a jpeg of the available downloads for PT which I've downloaded and backed up.

I know that HD/HDX systems are included for these PT downloads.

>>> What I'm unsure about is : Is the middle version of PT software included in this download?

Or is there an entirely different download for this "middle" vanilla software that is limited to 32 I/O? - Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT versions as of AUGUST 2020.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:17 PM

Default Re: different PT versions

That list looks like all HD/Ultimate software and I think you want Pro Tools(without any other detail, such as HD or Ultimate, etc). Standard Pro Tools is simply called Pro Tools(I see the confusion and kinda wish they would call it PT{Standard)). Having access to all those downloads is a bit confusing for me as I've never been able to access any versions that I don't have registered in my MyAvid account. In any case, downloading and saving is a good idea as long as you have space to store all the files(I keep a 2TB USB drive for all my downloads, with separate folders for the year(Pro Tools) and another for plugin installers).

Skipping PT[First(which I love skipping), the installers are complete and the same as the "standard" software. Its the iLok license that tells PT which features to enable when you open PT. And, the iLok license may be tied to specific numerical versions of PT(IOW, a license for PT12.4 will not allow you to open PT 2018.x)

More info for any new to this stuff:
The 32 IO limit applies to both "standard" and "Ultimate" software if used with non-Digilink hardware(so a Presonus Quantom48 with 48 physical IO will only present 32 IO in the IO setup page, even with Ultimate software). To get more than 32 IO, you must use Ultimate software AND Digilink hardware attached to HD/Native thunderbolt or an HDX card or an HD/Native PCIe card(discontinued, but still a working option). Also, since PT 12.6 HD software, you also need a Digilink license on your iLok(a separate one-time purchase of $299 in most cases). Hope this helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 AM

Hi,

Yes this is helpful - And good information to read up on.

Well the hardware I will use will be Focusrite Red Net which has a PCI-e card for use with native_DAW such as Cubase, Reaper, Digital Performer etc.......

Red Net 5 is the PT bridge to HDX and needs a Digi_Link license and ofcourse Focusrite Red Net is PT compatible with HDX.

There are other questions about other 3rd party interfaces so it can get a little confusing but I'll try to explain clearly.

Antelope Audio do HDX compatible interfaces too and are more popular now they start to get their driver issues sorted out.

Focusrite Red Net 5 has a loop sync in & out for connection to AVID & other 3rd party interfaces.

Lets hypothetically say I had an Antelope device & Red Net 5 wired via loop sync - How reliable and or difficult is it to get the two devices from different manufacturers to play nice with the sample timing of the two devices with HDX so there are no problems with sample accuracy? - And how easy / difficult is it to alter this if it needs to be?

As I've not used PT HDX yet I ask to discuss this to see what the situation is for potential future expansion.

Also for Digi-Link license currently only one license is needed even if there are two devices from different manufacturers other than Avid ????

Could this change in the future with Avid changing its mind?

I'll leave it there for now and see what comes back - Thanks
Old 08-24-2020, 04:23 PM

For anything with Digilink(and you wish to use it), you will need Pro Tools Ultimate(Digilink will not work with lesser versions of PT). Yes, a single Digilink license merely enables Digilink function, regardless of how many devices are using the Digilink connection.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-25-2020, 01:46 AM

Yes and DigiLink license is only needed for versions 12.6 and later