Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Default trim tool selects too much of clip

Hello everyone,

I am having problems with the trim tool and the select tool.

What I am finding is that when i attempt to trim a small part off the end of the clip it selects the whole clip. (see attached screen shot)

I have tried resetting the defaults to see if this will fix it but it hasn't helped.

Until recently I have been using my mouse to select specific parts of each clip/track so that I can cut them out and/or separating the clips and using the trim tool.

Is there a more efficient way to edit? Ideally I would be like to be able to select from one specific (time) point to another, preview the selection and then cut it as needed.

I can't find a way to do this so I have just been using the mouse which isn't as accurate as I'd like.

And now it seems I can't get my mouse to select small enough sections.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trim tool.jpg (67.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 PM

Default Re: trim tool selects too much of clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniad View Post
Hello everyone,

What I am finding is that when i attempt to trim a small part off the end of the clip it selects the whole clip. (see attached screen shot)

I have tried resetting the defaults to see if this will fix it but it hasn't helped.

Until recently I have been using my mouse to select specific parts of each clip/track so that I can cut them out and/or separating the clips and using the trim tool.

Is there a more efficient way to edit? Ideally I would be like to be able to select from one specific (time) point to another, preview the selection and then cut it as needed.

I can't find a way to do this so I have just been using the mouse which isn't as accurate as I'd like.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Hi,

Try turning off timeline follows edit selection! It's one of the option boxes below the tools menu.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Can anybody help me?

Thanks
Not entirely clear to me exactly what you're asking, but I notice in your screenshot you're in Grid mode and Grid is set to 1 bar - this will of course limit the ability to accurately select sections that you want. For sample accurate selection you should be in Slip mode.

When using the trim tool, the clip you're trimming will always be selected - that doesn't affect the accuracy of trim operations. If you want to select an area within a clip you should be using the selection (I-beam) tool.

Should you wish, you can manually enter selection values with the numpad-'\' key which will toggle through selection start, selection end, and selection length.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Hi Chris,

thanks for your suggestion, I will try that and see if it makes a difference.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 PM

Hi Rich,

thanks for your suggestion.

Quote:
Should you wish, you can manually enter selection values with the numpad-'\' key which will toggle through selection start, selection end, and selection length.
Could you give me more details?

For example, If I wanted to select from 1:05 seconds to 5:05 seconds into a clip and then delete that selections, what are the exact steps I would take to do this?

Sorry to be a pain but it' s hard to get a visual on this.

thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 02:25 PM

For faster and accurate trims, especially when your zoomed in on the waveform, use the edit cursor in Slip mode. Place the edit cursor inside the clip and do the following:

Trim Clip Start to Insertion - Hit a(keyboard focus on) or Alt+Shift+7
Trim Clip End to Insertion - Hit s(keyboard focus on) or Alt+Shift+8

Use this in conjunction with:

Link/Unlink Timeline and Edit Selection - Shift+/

Do a search for "trim" in the Pro Tools Shortcuts Guide and you'll find some very useful commands you'll be able to add to your workflow:

Pro Tools > Help > Pro Tools Shortcuts

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-19-2014, 03:37 PM

thanks I'll try that
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
...For example, If I wanted to select from 1:05 seconds to 5:05 seconds into a clip and then delete that selections, what are the exact steps I would take to do this?...
This is not hard:

place cursor in tracks you want to edit. On numeric keypad hit "/" key and cursor will enter selection start box in counter, enter 1:05. hit "/" again and cursor will move to selection end box in counter, enter 5:05, hit "enter" key, then delete. done...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM

Use the selection tool to highlight the part you want removed and press the delete key.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control