Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM

Default iPad Teleport fails to connect to Venue Profile

I have reviewed all online posts related to this topic and made adjustments based on Avid documentation (ECX connection guide) and Avid forum threads. I am still unable to get my iPad (3) to connect to my Venue Profile for control. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. I have the feeling that I'm just one adjustment away but can't figure out how to make it work.

Here's what I have connected/adjusted/tweaked and what I've done to troubleshoot:

I have the ECX card installed in the FOH rack with version 3.0 software running (I have reloaded the 3.0 software per Avid instructions). The ECX card is hooked up to an ASUS RT-AC66U router (https://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC66U/). I have swapped out and tested the cat 5 cable connected from the ECX card to the router. The cat 5 cable is plugged into a LAN port on the router running from the ECX card.

The router is set to a static IP LAN address of 192.168.1.1. The FOH rack is set to a static IP Address of 192.168.1.101. The router sees the FOH connection as shown by the administrative screens associated with the router as being run by my Windows 7 workstation. The router also sees my iPad when it sets itself up in the settings section of the iPad using auto mode (DHCP) for what seems to be it's normal choice of IP Address of 192.168.1.83 (this is not my iTeleport setting). I have reinstalled the router software.

I have set iTeleport for a static IP Address of 192.168.1.101 (255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask) to match the FOH rack/ECX setting as recommended by Avid forum instructions. I've also let iTeleport go the DHCP route and then set the ECX card to the IP Address automatically chosen by iTeleport. I have also set the iPad to an IP Address of 192.168.1.102 with the FOH set to 192.168.1.101.

I am unable at this point to connect to the Venue Profile. I have reloaded the iTeleport software on my iPad with no better luck on making a connection.

I would appreciate a step-by-step setup from anyone who has successfully connected their iPad to the Venue Profile through a wireless router. I would appreciate it if you could reply to this request and not refer me to some other post - I have read every related post I could find. I'll be happy to provide additional information or make any recommended adjustments to the system based on inputs received via this forum.

Thank you...Shawn

Last edited by ShawnMitchL; 05-22-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: minor typo...provide versus provided
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Default Re: iPad Teleport fails to connect to Venue Profile

Hi, just to be sure, you DO have enabled Ethernet Control on Venue? You most probably have.. just asking to be sure. Anyway, one thing to try is to skip the router and create a direct cable connection to start ruling out possible problem-makers. Just to be sure, you do have ECx Ethernet Control Guide, right? If not, you can get it here: http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...ents_78069.zip
Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 PM

Here's my setup:
Router ip is 192.168.1.1
Console is 192.168.1.2
Router DHCP is set to assign ip addresses from 192.168.1.101 through 250 or something like that. It doesn't need that many but I think it was just set that way.
Connect ipad to router - as I see you already did. shouldn't be any reason why ipad should be static it can get address from DHCP.
Open iteleport. Dont sign in or any of that other stuff. Their default way to connect to stuff is over the internet. Go to the Manual tab
Name is Venue
Protocol stays VNC
Address is console = 192.168.1.2 - mine automatically makes it 192.168.1.2:5900
Security - Password for console is "password" encryption disabled.
Hit connect and it should do it.
Make sure you have every firewall and security feature disabled in your router. Its not connecting to the internet, no need to block anything.
Sacramento, CA
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Well...some success. I did get a connection to the console and controlled it for quite a while (about 20 minutes). I really enjoy being able to walk the room and tweak things.

I had a problem later on where the connection was closed by the router and I received a "Connection Closed, the server closed the connection" notice. I haven't found a way to work around this one and it seems to close the connection quite quickly now such that I don't retain access to the console for more than a few seconds. I'll research this and see what I can find. At least I've made some progress....many thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Avid

Hi everyone,

One thing to check on iTeleport is that you always enable Touch Screen mode (under the app's settings/options). This allows tapping, swiping, pinch to zoom, etc.

If this mode is not enabled, then tapping on the screen acts like a mouse click. And if the mouse happens to be positioned over the "Enable" checkbox for remote control, your first tap on the screen will likely disable remote control and close the connection. This was a head scratcher for me until I figured it out.

Sheldon
Old 05-23-2013, 12:25 PM

Check the channel your wireless router is working on. It may be interfering with other wireless that is close, that may be closing your connection. Some allow you to set it to scan when it boots up but it doesnt always work great. Try setting a static channel on your router and if that continues to have issues, try a different channel. Most routers default to 1 or 6 so give something like 9 a shot.
Sacramento, CA
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM

I have been using the iPad with my profile for the last 3 years with little problems. I have my router is set up in DHCP. I tried static when I first started using the iPad and has a few issues. Just using DHCP has been solid. Another key thing I found is you have to have a good router. At first I was using a cheap router and I would be connection issues all the time. Also I have had Cat5 cables go bad. My set up is as follows:

Console network is set to manual and my IP address is - 192.168.1.102

In iTeleport my setting are:

Address - 192.168.1.102
Port - 5900
Authentication - VNC
Password - whatever you use
Encryption - Disabled
Computer - Mac

Advanced:

Colors - Millions
Keyboard Mapping - English
Refresh - Connection Decides
Rotation Lock - Off
Touchscreen Mode - On
Invert Mouse - On
Invert Scrolling - Off
Controls - On
Show Screen - On
Cursor Momentum - On

Hope this helps
Old 06-03-2013, 09:36 AM

Success! I have been away for a while on vacation but when I returned I tried making adjustments as mentioned on this web site and finally connected.

Here's what I ended up with along with equipment specifics:

- FOH/Venue Settings for IP Address: 192.168.1.2 with a port number of 5900. I don't think the Venue Link settings have anything to do with the connection to iTeleport as I have disabled the Venue Link by unchecking the box in Venue settings and it still worked. I don't know if the port number is something that is retained even if the feature is not checked or active on Venue. I do need this for HD Native recording/playback to Pro Tools though.

- ASUS model RT-AC66U router settings: IP Address 192.168.1.1 (pool starting address of 192.168.1.1 and pool ending address of 192.168.1.254). I am using static addresses so I'm not sure the pool addresses have an impact on anything.

- iPad settings (for wifi setup in iPad's Settings section): IP Address of 192.168.1.101, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and I left the Router and DNS fields empty. This seemed to take care of the problem of my iPad trying to connect to the router as a remote interface for the router admin pages or trying to look for what would be considered a "normal" internent connection.

- iTeleport settings: Name matched to what I had for the FOH/Venue settings (VenueRack), Protocol is VNC, IP Address of 192.168.1.2: 5901. I have had an issue with the iTeleport not connecting and solved it by changing the port to 5900 from the previous setting of 5901.

- Something not made clear to me or I missed it in the directions but all network cable connections need to be made to the LAN ports on the router. The regular connection to the internet feed into the router is through the WAN port but is obviously of no use for this setup that is connecting for remote control only.

Thank you to all you took the time to make recommendations and provide help.

Cheers,

Shawn
Old 06-03-2013, 02:58 PM

In theory, If the router has the DHCP server enabled but you're connecting with devices that have static addresses, those static IPs should not be included in that pool. e.g. if you have a device with the hard coded address of say 19.2.168.1.1, your DHCP pool should begin after that address (192.168.1.2 or greater). On my Airport Extreme, I have the DHCP pool starting at 192.168.1.1 but I have it set to end at 19.2.168.200. That leaves me with .201-.254 for static IPs. If you don't reserve and area for static IPs when you're using them, it's possible for a conflict to occur if someone with a DHCP tries to connect and your DHCP server decides to assign them an address you're already using on a hard coded device.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19 AM

Hi Shawn,
So what do you think the difference is between the original settings and the ones which worked ?
I'm not really seeing why it works now and didn't before.

I'm having problems connecting with one of these routers http://www.pqigroup.com/prod_in.aspx...138&prodid=565

I'm a professional Profile user and have used them for a few years now with my old business xp tablet and an old dlink 4 port router. Never had a problem with everything set to DHCP. It just works !
I thought I'd streamline with one of these air pen express routers as they are quite small and are powered by usb so one less bulky power supply to carry around.
The weird thing is I got my colleagues Ipad talking to my profile via the pocket cloud vnc app at a gig a while ago. Job done I thought until the next gig and I've never been able to get it working since.
I've tried swapping the router (I convinced my colleague to buy one after he saw mine working), cat5 cable, different profile FOH racks etc etc.
I've tried differenet modes, dhcp, static adresses the whole nine yards. You know how it goes - going round in circles with the settings.
I always install version 3 of the ecx software just to make sure the desk has V3 installed.
If I plug the router into the ethernet port of my windows 7 laptop (hence kind of substituting the foh rack with my laptop) running the ultra VNC server software from the avid website, I can connect from any device to my laptop. I've tried from an Ipad, my android phone, an android tablet and all connect and can control my windows laptop, so the router is passing info from it's wireless side to the ethernet port.
I just can't see why that connecting it back to the FOH rack the client (whether its an ipad, android tablet or my phone ) just says "connecting" and doesn't go any further like there is a handshake problem or something.
This is a true head scratcher.
If anyone has had success with one of these air pen express routers please let me know.
Thanks.