Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-06-2010, 01:31 PM

Default Re: HD Native now on Digi website

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
yes, but by all accounts the new Avid I/O boxes sound as good as Apogee. Make sure it's apples to apples.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that many users don't need 16 in and 16 out. You don't think you can get an IO box at that quality level for less than six grand?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that many users don't need 16 in and 16 out. You don't think you can get an IO box at that quality level for less than six grand?
Guess so, I'm thinking of actual studios and such. I/O is king to most people.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Bye Bye Protools. From the looks of other threads you just did what we call in the internet world... LOST THE GAME. I'll enjoy my Logic Native system with ADC and my rosetta with fw and my preamps. Most don't need that much I/O. Seems like you LE guys got your 3,500 ADC. A pcie card just to use it that's more than your interfaces for 3,500+ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Have fun!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:42 PM

Is Pro Tools 8.5 going to be 64-bit?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 PM

That thing is about $2500 too expensive. The HD Omni, ok, it has preamps, actually circuitry, a case, power supply, etc.

That new card is more expensive, and it's basically a super simple PCIe card.

At $1000 it should have been affordable. At $3500, no way. Digi really lost an opportunity in my opinion here. A used PCIe card is cheaper and more powerful.

They should have gone about a grand, that would probably have enticed a lot of LE users to invest. Because the card by itself is no good, the user has to buy an expensive interface as well that they would have made enough money on.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 PM

$6000 is not much for that much power. How much did a studer, a console, and all outboard FX cost, not to mention cables to connect it all????

I'm a little bummed that they chose to stick with PCI, which leaves laptops out of the picture and makes remote recording a little more cumbersome.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Guess so, I'm thinking of actual studios and such. I/O is king to most people.
Guess you need to expand your horizons a bit, there are plenty of "actual studios" doing professional work that have a wide variety of IO needs. It's always dangerous to make generalizations about "most people".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Expensive View Post
How much did a studer, a console, and all outboard FX cost, not to mention cables to connect it all????
Irrelevant to the price of "native". The question is whether it is price competitive with other currently available options. And it looks like it's not even close.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:57 PM

I would rather buy a used HD1 core PCIx card for about $1K and get a 2 slot magma chassis for another 1K or so. The ability to use TDM plugin's is a real benefit for many. When I thought of a PT HD native system, I was thinking they'd release a version of the software that would work without proprietary hardware. So you could use just about any sound card. Now that would be something cool I'd pay for.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post

They should have gone about a grand, that would probably have enticed a lot of LE users to invest. Because the card by itself is no good, the user has to buy an expensive interface as well that they would have made enough money on.
Yep, this is a $1k card and $2500 extra for Avid's permission to use protools HD. Maybe we're all wrong and they're right on the money. Time will tell I guess, I just hope I don't have to learn it from my Nuendo workstation.
IMDB
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM

I think this is the most bizarre invention of Avid i years. And why do they call it Native? They should call it PT HD Naive...