Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Default Re: New Mac pro 2013 and PTHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Again the real message is the Mac Pro is so far behind the curve at the moment if you can wait to see what the promised 2013 update looks like then do so.

Darryl
Agreed.

It's a really tricky one for the OP. Wait until the next gen Mac Pro which is pretty guaranteed NOT to work with TDM/PT10 or buy an outdated machine.

That said, I'm getting seriously hardcore VI mileage from a 6 core using SSDs for sample streaming, (hugely higher polyphony counts than 10K RPM drive,) providing I host the VIs outside of PT.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Again the real message is the Mac Pro is so far behind the curve at the moment if you can wait to see what the promised 2013 update looks like then do so.
+1

In fact, AFAIK, there have only been few MP releases so far. The first one (2004) for sure, then the 2009 Nehalem, and now the promised 2013 model. Apple releases new stuff every year, but it doesn't mean all the upgrades are significant architectural changes. More like updates.

And I must repeat old wisdom: If you badly need one now, then buy right now. If you don't, then don't. That's always good advise!
Old 09-17-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
+1

In fact, AFAIK, there have only been few MP releases so far. The first one (2004) for sure, then the 2009 Nehalem, and now the promised 2013 model. Apple releases new stuff every year, but it doesn't mean all the upgrades are significant architectural changes. More like updates.

And I must repeat old wisdom: If you badly need one now, then buy right now. If you don't, then don't. That's always good advise!
In 2004 they were still releasing G5s, so I hope you meant 2006.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-17-2012, 06:41 PM

And if you're uncomfortable with the hackintosh route, and don't want to use a second machine just for VI's, why not go with a windows machine? Once you're in pro tools there's very little difference, and you can get (well at least build) a PC with dual 8-core Xeons. Just another thought.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Sounds like the OP has a great working TDM Accel setup. That said sounds like a new computer might not be a bad investment that could see that TDM gear working for another 4 years. The machines did not go up in power but the price did come down. My new 12 core was the price of the 8 core it replaced. All the mac pros I've owned are still working so they've really been a great investment.

I'm not sure the new machines (when/if) they land will be very useful to an HD Accel user if there is no convenient way to mount PCI cards other than a chassis (which would be quite pricey). I've kept a rig running TDM because it's so solid, but currently cut on a 12 core with HD native which handles it with ease. I've got compatibility with PT11 on the native setup and a working TDM solution with the older hardware.

If you bought now, then by the time that new Mac Pro lands (Q3 2013) you'd have had a year in which to pay off your machine, then a rig that will still run great on a relatively fast computer. Applecare if you are worried and then the next 3 years are trouble free computing for you.

My 2c
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
In 2004 they were still releasing G5s, so I hope you meant 2006.
I was actually thinking of the pre-MP developer machine but yes, MP's were released in 2006. I stand corrected...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
No way hakintosh...... Too much of a macaddict....
There will always be something faster smother better and newer...
I am trying to be as realistic as possible:
I'm not going to spend 10000$ on HDX , or 12500$ with a new Mac pro(cause my 3.1 macpro isn't qualifyed......
I am not going to spend 5000$ on HDN or 7000$ with a new powerful iMac (cause my 3.1 is not powerful enough to hold an heavy native system...)
I do have an HD 3 accel system with tons of TDM plugins ....all of them are 100% legal .... I might as well stick to it and get the best machine possible for running this system hoping that this setup will last at least 3-4 years.... By then the HDX will be more reasonable and the 5.1 Mac might still be in perfect shape to work with it.... I know that my current Mac pro is rock solid , trustful , fast - but unfortunatly not powerful enough to handle some new VI's and native plugins....or at least allot of them...
I had some thoughts about magma chassis.... And getting some more hd accel process cards which are cheap now.... But that is very expansive...... And un reasonable..... Even more then just getting a new Mac pro...
B the way can someone explain what do I gain from adding more process cards? I do not expand voice count? Right? It just gives the system more juice for TDM handling ... Am I'm wrong?
Your bang for the buck is to build a hackintosh.

You will still run MacOS - there is no perceptible difference to you (except more speed). A mac addict? what does that have to do with hardware? You do realize that once you build your hackintosh, unless you like to look at the silver tower, you'll never know the difference? And you could build a silver tower if you really wanted to. Or not.

You will have more ram. Faster storage. Component level repair. And you can spec any components that make you happy. Want a silent PSU? Done. The sky's the limit. And since your investment is 1/5 of an apple branded machine, you can toss it in a year if you want to move on. And the modern mobos have features such as USB3 and mSATA. But no tbolt. But are you willing to pay $$$$ for that?

For a VERY modest investment (< $1500), you can preserve your software and hardware and get another 2+ years out of it and wait and see what the newer technology brings.

My $.02

-- and yes, I'm running a hackintosh, i7 2600k (quad). 32gb ram. but there are even better specs on the mobos and cpus today (vs 4 months ago)!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
And the modern mobos have features such as USB3 and mSATA. But no tbolt.
Actually, Gigabyte and ASUS (among others) are shipping motherboards with TBolt ports on em. So you could build a tower with USB3, SATA3, PCIe3.0 and Thunderbolt with OSX on it. None of which, Apple has in any tower.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 AM

I am really not getting in this all hakintosh thing soo you might Sewell drop it....I know it's an option but IMHO it blows.... Want to call me a snob... Do that... I am not investing 1500$ in a Mac wanna be... I rather wait and save money for a new Mac Pro or iMac with thunderbolt HDX....
Thanks for the effort any way....
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Any way -
I gave up the whole upgrading Mac thing , and decided to stick to my Mac Pro - Hd 3 accel rig for as long as it lasts... It is powerful , rock solid , ass kicking system that serves me well , and until a year ago was the pinnacle of the recording audio industry... So I won't have the option to go 64 bit and protools 11... Big deal I can imagine those bugs that will show up and make users go crazy for at- least a year until they will get it right.... Hek - protools 10 has its own quakes still
I did , however , made a trade with my 96i/o towards the omni (I need it cause I am relocating to LA , so I need somthing that will do the I/O and monitoring management and convertion In the same box) so I am one step closer to the future upgrade towards HDX or HDN....
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)