Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Yamaha MIDI plugged in DIRECTLY to the computer tower - possible?

Hi,

Long story short, my producer recommended me getting the mbox mini over the regular one saying its just less mic inputs etc..and that he could hook me up with a good deal on it from his buddy at Alto. So I trusted him and bought the non refundable protools / mini and am now 2 hours back home. I now noticed there are no midi inputs.

On all my older gear I used to use Logic and do guitar / vox thru the Duet 2 interface, and then plug my Yamaha midi keyboard directly into the tower. [it isn't the 5 prong midi it's the regular usb one].

I am not too familiar with Protools yet...but it looks like I can only choose the Mbox interface. My question is...

--- Is it possible to do guitar / vox thru the Mbox Mini interface and have my keyboard midi plugged directly into my computer? And most importantly if so -- would this workflow run smoothly?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Yamaha MIDI plugged in DIRECTLY to the computer tower - possible?

If your Yamaha keyboard has a usb port, you should be good to go, plug it into the computer and you should see it show up in your list of midi inputs, you may need to install some software [check their website], but usually these type of keyboards work straight away.You might have to go into Setup/Midi/ Input Devices in Protools also to select it as an input device.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Yamaha MIDI plugged in DIRECTLY to the computer tower - possible?

Wait, wait, wait. You have a Duet 2 and he told you to get an MBox Mini?

Why would you need the mbox mini when you have a Duet 2. You just need Pro Tools 10. The Duet 2 is a far superior interface.

And if your keyboard has a USB plug you can go right into your computer and use it as a Midi Interface.