Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-08-2001, 10:20 PM

Default PT 5.1 crashing on delete file command

Pt crashes with a type 2 error every time I try to delete a file from the region bin, (cmnd+shift+B, choose “delete”) anybody else? It wasn't doing this two days ago, but yesterday and today, in two different sessions, it does.

www.tompaul.com
Old 03-18-2001, 06:49 PM

Default Re: PT 5.1 crashing on delete file command

I haven't been able to remove files either with 5.1 It quits every time....I've Done disk Check / Optomize / Desk Rebuild but to no avail....I think this is a bug.....
Old 03-18-2001, 08:30 PM

Same problem here. I talked to Digi Tech support about it and he said he hadn't heard of it before. I thought it might be attributed to the fact that the sessions I had it happen in had tracks that were imported from a Digi 001 system. Another factor I thought might have caused the crash was that I had just deleted a slew of tracks from the edit window. It crashed after warning of regions still in the clipboard/undo or something. Maybe it's a problem here? Keep me posted if you resolve it, and call Digi and tell them many people are experiencing this.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 2019.12 (no Hardware), Mac OS 10.14.6, MBP (Retina 13in, Early 2015, 3.1Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM)
Old 03-18-2001, 08:55 PM

So, tomcat, are you saying that with these sessions, it's impossible to delete (as in delete from disk, not just delete the region) *any* files? Or just certain files?

And this happens after quitting and restarting the system?

Also, I'm confused: Tim R., you say that you "had just deleted a slew of tracks from the edit window." That makes it sounds like it's only happened once where as Tommy T makes it sound like it happens with any file in any session.

So, I need a little clarification.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 03-19-2001, 12:33 PM

This happened across 3 sessions all of which I had just removed a bunch of tracks from. All had imported tracks from an 001 system (months ago). I got around it by Deleting fewer tracks at one time. Though sometimes it would crash deleting just one region, but if I went to other regions first then went back to the troublesome track it would delete fine.

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 2019.12 (no Hardware), Mac OS 10.14.6, MBP (Retina 13in, Early 2015, 3.1Ghz i7, 16Gig RAM)
Old 03-19-2001, 03:30 PM

I got a crash everytime I did cmnd-shift-B and chose delete or remove. I don't do it anymore. I think these session had tracks and audio imported from a 4.3.1 session. I don't have time right now to crash. Maybe later i beat the system up a little.

www.tompaul.com
Old 03-20-2001, 01:23 AM

Thanks for the clarification Tim R.

tomcat and TommyT, is that consistent with your experience?

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 03-20-2001, 06:21 AM

yes, it happens on my system too. i usually have the region bin files sorted by modification date w/ descending order, so the most recent recorded file is at the top of the region bin. when i hit cmnd+shift+B, pt crashes w/ type 2 error. But, if i don't sort the region bin by mod. date and descending order, i can do cmnd+shift+B w/out any problem. i'd done this on 3 diff. pt 5.1 system, same result. digi, plz look into it...

thx
Old 03-20-2001, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Greyson:
Thanks for the clarification Tim R.

tomcat and TommyT, is that consistent with your experience?
Yes, Again Basically I'm on a 9500/200 with a Newertech G3 Mix24 / VinFarm / Samplecell /StoreCase & Atto LVD Dual3D that has been bullet proof for a long time.. as soon as I up'ed to 5.1 Removing or deleating files from the bin.....or removing the new 5.1 Ghosts of files deleated in the finder would quit PT more than half the time....I'm very good with keeping things clean, optimized,checked.....Rebuilt desktop regularly.....I'm an Engineer/composer/Sound Designer and I often combine old sessions, tracks,or only sound files with new projects for common elements....I end up with big bloated Sessions than I then prune of unneccessary files....Lately the only way to do this for me has been to save copy as 5.01 then remove unwanted files in the finder, then skip unfound files on reload....
Old 03-21-2001, 01:03 AM

interesting. I usually sort by source file creation date, with the newest at the bottom. I will try some combinations...when I would rather crash than work. maybe later today.

www.tompaul.com