Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2020, 09:13 AM

Default There is a BAR in fullscreen video window again (Windows)

There is a title bar in the full screen video window again (Windows). I had first installed 2019.12, which also had a title bar in the fullscreen video window. So I decided to install 2020.3 which popped up in the newly appeared Avid link app...

Is this a new feature?..
Can this be removed?

The title bar also compromises the video resolution and with that adds two more black bars to the sides.

Looks like I need to downgrade to good'ol 12.7.1 again, which was a pleasantly stable version, and WITHOUT a bar in the full screen video window.

Last edited by mdb; 04-04-2020 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Re: There is a BAR in fullscreen video window again (Windows)

at least you only get a bar. Mine goes completely black or to garbage. I then have to save and exit by hot keys. As soon as I exit the session, the video goes back to normal though. I was sure they spent the last 4 months testing this very well. I guess not.... I will be uninstalling and going back to 2019.12. At least it was somewhat stable.

and I did try disabling the "enable gpu" option but no difference. so far things that I know cause the video corruption -- bouncing to disk, opening a plugin. So yeah, pretty much anything
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 04-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Ugh... This is sort of depressing.

I was pretty close to upgrading to Ultimate, but I can't deal with a broken video engine.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 04-03-2020, 06:22 PM

Wow, sorry everybody is having problems, and at the same time, glad I’m not alone. I get the blank black box (sometimes white) and if you even try to move or resize it, you get an “unrecoverable video engine error,” and it gets stuck in a loop until you tell it to stop trying to reinitialize. This is irrespective of what format of video I try to import. But I tried importing video on an old 8.0.5 install, and it works perfectly. What’s the chance we all got a corrupt installer?
Old 04-04-2020, 01:48 AM

Hm.. Sounds like I'm "lucky".

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the bar that I'm talking about is just a Windows title bar. It does not actually go full screen like it did in 12, but rather maximizes the window. I've edited my opening post to clear that up.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkosacek View Post
at least you only get a bar. Mine goes completely black or to garbage. I then have to save and exit by hot keys. As soon as I exit the session, the video goes back to normal though. I was sure they spent the last 4 months testing this very well. I guess not.... I will be uninstalling and going back to 2019.12. At least it was somewhat stable.

and I did try disabling the "enable gpu" option but no difference. so far things that I know cause the video corruption -- bouncing to disk, opening a plugin. So yeah, pretty much anything
The video engine in 2020 works well for me. 2019.12 did not work well. I always had to force quit PT because the video engine couldn't load, or couldn't shut down. Going back to 2012.6 solved that problem for me. I haven't done any serious work in 2020 involving the VE, but I tested it briefly, and it's smooth. I believe this is the first time the VE is installed separately from PT. They've probably overhauled it completely.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 AM

Same here. Shows title bar (white and big!) on video window. Very annoying. Came with the last update to 2020.3 So now it isn't possible to get 100% full screen.
Avid, please fix!
Why is it that with an update you always get unwanted side effects? Why change when it is working properly?

The real estate of the Pro Tools title bars in Windows 10 is already rather huge in comparison to MacOs. You get 3 bars on top of each other! With the Mix/Edit windows in retro Windows 7 style....how nice.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:58 AM

Just updated to 2020.11 to see if it would fix this, but alas, no. It's the worst.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:18 AM

I'm not sure how it works on Windows, but on macos you can replace the video engine with an older version by opening the .app package and simply replacing the Avid Video Engine file with an older one. This solved some video engine issues in the past for me.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:35 PM

Resurecting old thread, but was googling for this problem.
There is this free utility, Borderless Gaming, it's perfect.
You can even set it to automatically make video full screen at start up on a monitor of your choice. Just make sure you add Avid Video Engine to favorites from application list.