Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Default soundcraft spirit studio

Hello fellow pro-toolers!
I'm a happy owner of a oo3 factory, digimax fs, mindprint envoice mic pre, and a mean quad with pt 7.4
I am pretty satisfied with the sound I get, although my room is not the best.
This summer I will build a completely new studio. So, to my question:
I'm offered a Soundcraft spirit studio mixer 24/8, at a rasonable price. Does anybody know this mixer, and will it do me any good? I'm told that the mic pre's are pretty good. I'm also offered a outboard compressor. I know this is not top of the line, but still I am curious.
Will this give me the analogue "glow"?

Rossi
Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Re: soundcraft spirit studio

Alright a few things to consider....

1. At 24 channels with the Spirit you are not going to be able to use them all. With the 003 you can run 8 analog ins from the thing. With your digimax FS I am guessing that those pres will be the same if not better than the unit itself. Seems to me that you will have a 24 input board and not be able to use it really.

2. Smarter way if you decided to get this is get a 8 input I/O device (Apogee, Lynx or something) bypass all pres on the 002 and go 16 in from the board. Again, NOT going to gain much really from what I have quickly read on the board.

3. For approx. 1200 bucks, you would be better off you get a Apogee and a TOFT 16channel board. (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ATB16) You would then have 16 decent pre's that sound better, have EQ and a decent summing system if that is in fact what you wanted to do....

4. If it were me (and I have been in the LE realm before for years) I would not waste the money on the board, and spend the money on different flavors of pre's. You have 8 in on the 003 and 8 more via the Presonus. Alot of guys start out on a budget and get the easy 8 lightpipe pres to boot. Not a bad way at all and I too started there. Used a 002 and Digimax LT for about a year or so. I sold the Digimax and went to the Apogee Rosetta 800 and started buying really good pres. Much better investment long term as a API pre will hold value better than a Digimax (no offense to digimax) but it is true.

You can get that ANALOG GLOW as you call it with a good set of pres and the right ability to track it. Start slow and get a good pair. A good friend taught me to "buy in pairs" once and it has stuck sadly. Reason behind it.... Ya never know when you will need a stereo pair and two of the same helps.

So, that is my .02 cents.

Hope this helps.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-04-2008, 03:29 AM

Default Re: soundcraft spirit studio

Hi, and thanks for taking the time to answer!
I am, of course, aware of the input number exeeding what I can get into my 003. However I will get 4 more mic pre's than today. But if I dont get any real improvement sound-vise I dont think I will bother. I will really look into what you are suggesting. The only problem is that I live in an insanely expensive country. Here in norway I would have to give 5000$ for a apogee rosetta.
I will also try to work with mic's, mic pre's, room treatment etc.
Agein, thanks

Rossi